Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2018, 04:13 PM

30,549 posts, read 16,240,407 times

Advertisements

I remember no black after Memorial Day and before Labor Day.

No white after labor Day and before Memorial.

Navy was ok all year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 10:12 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
I remember working as a 411 operator in SE Los Angeles. On occassion they would time us for 30 minutes to see how long each call took. Our office averaged 38 seconds per call and I once averaged 15 seconds/call. My friend tipped me off that I was going to be timed. I asked "What city?" 700 times a day.

I remember my Dad building a bathroom at my Grandparents' home in the country. Before that we took baths in a tin wash tub on the south porch.
Mom used to bathe and dress my brothers by the coal stove when it was cold.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:29 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,894,490 times
I remember dad digging a square hole in the ground about 30yards away from the back-porch, after he dug it deep enough he built a small square house with only a door, no windows. It had one bench seat and was very cold in the wintertime when you had to sit down on it. I think I was 3 or 4 at the time but life wasn't fun out on the farm back then.

And yeah,,,, those baths in a cold tin wash tub on the kitchen floor wasn't much fun in those days also. Mom was always trying to help with a little hot water in a pot that she would take off of the stove nearby. and those were the good old days!

Old 10-15-2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I remember dad digging a square hole in the ground about 30yards away from the back-porch, after he dug it deep enough he built a small square house with only a door, no windows. It had one bench seat and was very cold in the wintertime when you had to sit down on it. I think I was 3 or 4 at the time but life wasn't fun out on the farm back then.

And yeah,,,, those baths in a cold tin wash tub on the kitchen floor wasn't much fun in those days also. Mom was always trying to help with a little hot water in a pot that she would take off of the stove nearby. and those were the good old days!
By the time I was born, we had a coal furnace and a water heater. I know that mom had something to say about the heater. When she finally got a gas stove, there was no longer warm water waiting in the kettle or the small tank attached to the stove.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:21 AM

405 posts, read 257,845 times
I remember when ATMs were first installed - when pump your own gas first started - when cable TV began - when MTV started - when the word 'divorce' was spoken in hushed tones - when girls weren't allowed to wear pants to school - when there was just one kind of gas (leaded) - when cars rarely started the first time on cold days - when hitch hiking was very common - just a way to get around town (and you always got a ride)

Old 10-18-2018, 09:29 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,696,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
I remember when ATMs were first installed - when pump your own gas first started - when cable TV began - when MTV started - when the word 'divorce' was spoken in hushed tones - when girls weren't allowed to wear pants to school - when there was just one kind of gas (leaded) - when cars rarely started the first time on cold days - when hitch hiking was very common - just a way to get around town (and you always got a ride)
When the cable saleswoman came to our door, she made us an offer that we couldn't refuse: $4.50 per month, and $5 additional for an HBO/Cinemax package. That first evening after we were hooked up, we watched 3 movies: "Diva," Gallipoli," and a martial arts flick.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:19 PM

405 posts, read 257,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
When the cable saleswoman came to our door, she made us an offer that we couldn't refuse: $4.50 per month, and $5 additional for an HBO/Cinemax package. That first evening after we were hooked up, we watched 3 movies: "Diva," Gallipoli," and a martial arts flick.

Yes, before cable, the only way you could watch a movie at home was 'The Movie of the Week', and movies weren't released to broadcast for about 10 years after release, so they were mostly old classics. The annual showing of 'Wizard of Oz' or 'Ben Hur' were special events. There was no video tape that you could rent either.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
Were you there on August 1st? I was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBf0yJVMSzI

Music was never the same again.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:28 AM

24,768 posts, read 28,535,428 times
I'm so old I remember...

Grape Nehi … in the " Chest " type dispenser at your Texaco Station for a " ten cents " drop the dime and slide the bottle around and around the track to the gate.. pull straight up and you have your Grape Nehi.. now using the opener on the machine you pop open the top..

Old 10-19-2018, 11:49 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,696,129 times
I remember that those coolers also had Birely's Orange Drink.

On a related note, Tommy's Original Hamburgers in LA on Rampart had their drinks on the honor system. When you ordered your burger you would pay for the drinks, and then take them out of a cooler in the center of the lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics