Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 05:51 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,279,325 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday January 29, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
Do you know people who live in other time zones ?................Yes
If so, can you keep track of the gap between their local time & yours ?................When I need to.
Have you ever tried to synchronize/plan/schedule a videochat or phone call (in real time) w/someone in a different time zone ?....................No

Extra Credit:
Does someone in your home snore ? ............Yes, my husband and I both snore on occasion.
If so, did anything help to decrease the snoring (or at least make it quieter for others) ?...........Rolling over to a different sleep position.
Have you met someone who talked, walked, or even ate LOL in their sleep ?...............Yes

Bonus:
If you put up a real (sawed/cut) Christmas tree indoors last month, what did you do with it after the holidays ?.........I've not put up a real tree for years.
Does your town/region have a program to collect them (and reduce the wood to kindling/sawdust) ?..........Yes

Just for Fun:
While you were in high school (or college/university), were there exchange students taking classes ?..........No
Have you ever been an exchange student yourself (done a semester abroad/overseas/in another country) ?
.............No
LINK —> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Student_exchange_program

Today in History:
1861: Kansas officially becomes the 34th state of the U.S.
1886: Karl Benz receives a patent for his “Motorwagen” (automobile fueled by gasoline)
1940: Birth of actress Katharine Ross (The Graduate)
1945: Birth of actor Tom Selleck (Blue Bloods)
1950: Birth of singer & actress Ann Jillian (It’s A Living)
1962: Birth of actor Nicholas Turturro (NYPD Blue)
1968: Birth of screenwriter, director, and actor Edward Burns (The Brothers McMullen)
1970: Birth of actress Heather Graham (Drugstore Cowboy)
1975: Birth of actress Sara Gilbert (Roseanne)

Today’s Word:
stanchion /ˈstan(t)SH(ə)n/ (n.): An upright frame, support, bar or post, which forms a (movable or fixed) barrier-
covers wide range of objects, incl. velvet ropes cordoning off sections or waiting lines at an event
and the metal poles mounted inside buses and trains for passengers to hold on to, for stability.

Today Is:
Seeing Eye Dog Day............
National Corn Chip Day..........

Today’s Picture:

Entrance & exit are at center, just above the middle-

Thought for the Day:
“Contrary to what the politicians and religious leaders would like us to believe, the world won’t be made safer by creating barriers between people.”

-Michael Palin

Wishing you a day in which you can surmount any barriers-should they arise-that face you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 07:03 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Today’s Question:
Do you know people who live in other time zones ?
yes
If so, can you keep track of the gap between their local time & yours ?

Actually, I live close to a time zone change so I go over it myself a few times a year usually in the morning. I just have to remember when things open so I don't arrive an hour before they do. I leave my watch set on my time zone. It's really funny but what impacts me the most time zone wise is when the sun rises here where I live. I live in the Eastern time zone but in the western part of it. I used to live on the east cost also in the Eastern time zone and sunrise was much earlier. Here, the sun doesn't come up until somewhere between 7:30A and 8:00A. That's way late compared to the East Coast also in the same time zone.

Have you ever tried to synchronize/plan/schedule a videochat or phone call (in real time) w/someone in a different time zone ? At work for conference calls.

Extra Credit:
Does someone in your home snore ?
Don't live with anyone else.
If so, did anything help to decrease the snoring (or at least make it quieter for others) ? N/A
Have you met someone who talked, walked, or even ate LOL in their sleep ? No

Bonus:
If you put up a real (sawed/cut) Christmas tree indoors last month, what did you do with it after the holidays ?
N/A
Does your town/region have a program to collect them (and reduce the wood to kindling/sawdust) ?

When I lived on the eastern end of Long Island (NY), we'd bring our Christmas trees to the beach where the government types used them to help shore up the dunes.

Just for Fun:
While you were in high school (or college/university), were there exchange students taking classes ?
Yes, met some from Pakistan back in 1969.
Have you ever been an exchange student yourself (done a semester abroad/overseas/in another country) ? no

Old 01-29-2018, 07:07 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
Today’s Question:

Do you know people who live in other time zones?
Yes a number of friends and some family members are in other zones.

If so, can you keep track of the gap between their local time & yours?
Most of the time its easy to remember one hour + or - however it's not fun when daylight savings comes around.

Have you ever tried to synchronize/plan/schedule a videochat or phone call (in real time) w/someone in a different time zone?
No,,, I.ve not had that problem. However before retiring the company always had meetings that required synchronized phone and video - it just wasn't the same as having others in the same room for a meeting.

Extra Credit:
Does someone in your home snore?
Yes, at times ................

If so, did anything help to decrease the snoring (or at least make it quieter for others)?
It's not an issue that requires additional attention.

Have you met someone who talked, walked, or even ate LOL in their sleep ?
No, never met anyone like that.

Bonus:
If you put up a real (sawed/cut) Christmas tree indoors last month, what did you do with it after the holidays?
I've been using fake trees for that last 30 years now and they work out much better.

Does your town/region have a program to collect them (and reduce the wood to kindling/sawdust) ?
Yes

Just for Fun:
While you were in high school (or college/university), were there exchange students taking classes?
Not in high school, however we started a rumor that we had an exchange janitor from Sweden.

Have you ever been an exchange student yourself (done a semester abroad/overseas/in another country) ? No

It's going to be a warm sunny week in the lower 80's in the Valley.......... time to start more yardwork and house cleaning.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times

Today’s Question:
Do you know people who live in other time zones ? Yes, a few
If so, can you keep track of the gap between their local time & yours ? Yes, just a quick calculation in my head
Have you ever tried to synchronize/plan/schedule a videochat or phone call (in real time) w/someone in a different time zone ? Yes, and it can be tricky if they are in Europe (on vacation)

Extra Credit:
Does someone in your home snore ? Yes, both of us, though my wife denies it
If so, did anything help to decrease the snoring (or at least make it quieter for others) ? We poke each other
Have you met someone who talked, walked, or even ate LOL in their sleep ? A younger brother used to sleep walk when we were kids

Bonus:
If you put up a real (sawed/cut) Christmas tree indoors last month, what did you do with it after the holidays ? Chopped it up and put it into the yard waste bin
Does your town/region have a program to collect them (and reduce the wood to kindling/sawdust) ? No, but the Boy Scouts do it, for $15

Just for Fun:
While you were in high school (or college/university), were there exchange students taking classes ? High school no, college yes
Have you ever been an exchange student yourself (done a semester abroad/overseas/in another country) ? No

Old 01-29-2018, 07:50 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
Today’s Question:
Do you know people who live in other time zones ? Yup
If so, can you keep track of the gap between their local time & yours ? Sure can
Have you ever tried to synchronize/plan/schedule a videochat or phone call (in real time) w/someone in a different time zone ? Yup. It's easy

Extra Credit:
Does someone in your home snore ? Both of us
If so, did anything help to decrease the snoring (or at least make it quieter for others) ? Never tried and never wanted to
Have you met someone who talked, walked, or even ate LOL in their sleep ? My wife talks quite a bit in her sleep

Bonus:
If you put up a real (sawed/cut) Christmas tree indoors last month, what did you do with it after the holidays ? Ky. Fish and Wildlife set up a collection point to drop them off. They use them for fish attractors in state lakes.
Does your town/region have a program to collect them (and reduce the wood to kindling/sawdust) ? Just the state program

Just for Fun:
While you were in high school (or college/university), were there exchange students taking classes ? A lot in college
Have you ever been an exchange student yourself (done a semester abroad/overseas/in another country) Nope

Old 01-29-2018, 08:25 AM

4,041 posts, read 2,909,100 times
Today’s Question:
Do you know people who live in other time zones ? === I do.
If so, can you keep track of the gap between their local time & yours ? === I have their cities bookmarked in an ap on my phone.
Have you ever tried to synchronize/plan/schedule a videochat or phone call (in real time) w/someone in a different time zone ? === I have. It's always a challenge, particularly with friends and family in New Zealand.

Extra Credit:
Does someone in your home snore ? === That would be me.
If so, did anything help to decrease the snoring (or at least make it quieter for others) ? === I live alone so I haven't tried.
Have you met someone who talked, walked, or even ate LOL in their sleep ? === That would also be me.

Bonus:
If you put up a real (sawed/cut) Christmas tree indoors last month, what did you do with it after the holidays ? === No real tree this year.

Does your town/region have a program to collect them (and reduce the wood to kindling/sawdust) ? === Don't know.

Just for Fun:
While you were in high school (or college/university), were there exchange students taking classes ? === No -- I grew up in a very small town and I don't believe we ever participated in the program. My kids and I had an exchange student from Greece with us for part of her stay in WI.

Have you ever been an exchange student yourself (done a semester abroad/overseas/in another country) ?[/b][/color] === I haven't.

Thanks cloven.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:44 AM

7,368 posts, read 5,483,693 times

Today’s Question:
Do you know people who live in other time zones ? Yes
If so, can you keep track of the gap between their local time & yours ? Yes
Have you ever tried to synchronize/plan/schedule a videochat or phone call (in real time) w/someone in a different time zone ? Yes

Extra Credit:
Does someone in your home snore ? Yes, husband.
If so, did anything help to decrease the snoring (or at least make it quieter for others) ? Breathe right strips. They did not work.
Have you met someone who talked, walked, or even ate LOL in their sleep ? Husband also talks in his sleep.

Bonus:
If you put up a real (sawed/cut) Christmas tree indoors last month, what did you do with it after the holidays ?
Does your town/region have a program to collect them (and reduce the wood to kindling/sawdust) ? Yes

Just for Fun:
While you were in high school (or college/university), were there exchange students taking classes ? Yes
Have you ever been an exchange student yourself (done a semester abroad/overseas/in another country) ?[/b][/color] no

Old 01-29-2018, 09:05 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,963 times
Thanx cloven.
Mornin' all!
My computer won't let me change colors this morning. Such is Monday...

Today’s Question:
Do you know people who live in other time zones ?
I do.
It's difficult for me. I frequently go the wrong way when trying to figure out what time it is "there."
Have you ever tried to synchronize/plan/schedule a videochat or phone call (in real time) w/someone in a different time zone ?
I have. Ugh!

Extra Credit:
Does someone in your home snore ?
We both do.
If so, did anything help to decrease the snoring (or at least make it quieter for others) ?
Nope.
Yes! I think many people talk in their sleep. I've heard the stories, but I've never seen anyone walk or talk in their sleep.

Bonus:
N/A
Not sure. We do have a place in town where you can take lawn waste. Don't know if whole Christmas trees are allowed.

Just for Fun:
While you were in high school (or college/university), were there exchange students taking classes ?
Oddly enough, I don't remember any.
Have you ever been an exchange student yourself (done a semester abroad/overseas/in another country) ?
I have not.

Today in History:
1886: Karl Benz receives a patent for his “Motorwagen” (automobile fueled by gasoline)
1968: Birth of screenwriter, director, and actor Edward Burns (The Brothers McMullen)

Today’s Word:
stanchion /ˈstan(t)SH(ə)n/ (n.): An upright frame, support, bar or post, which forms a (movable or fixed) barrier-
covers wide range of objects, incl. velvet ropes cordoning off sections or waiting lines at an event
and the metal poles mounted inside buses and trains for passengers to hold on to, for stability.

Today Is:
Seeing Eye Dog Day
National Corn Chip Day

Today’s Picture:
Thanx!

Thought for the Day:
“Contrary to what the politicians and religious leaders would like us to believe, the world won’t be made safer by creating barriers between people.”
-Michael Palin

Wishing you a day in which you can surmount any barriers-should they arise-that face you
Same to you cloven. Thanx for the Qs and the maze.
Have a good day everyone!

Old 01-29-2018, 09:13 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,796,420 times

Today’s Question:
Do you know people who live in other time zones ? none that I'm in contact with
I do have trouble remembering that
Have you ever tried to synchronize/plan/schedule a videochat or phone call (in real time) w/someone in a different time zone ?
nope

Extra Credit:
Does someone in your home snore ? yeah....me
If so, did anything help to decrease the snoring (or at least make it quieter for others) ?
I have to use a CPAP machine for sleep apnea and that helps a little with the snoring also
Yes, no and no

Bonus:
Although I love live trees they're expensive and I just don't have the room for a big tree
no I don't think so

Just for Fun:
Yes we had a couple when I was in high school

No but several years ago I took in an exchange student from Japan, it was interesting to say the least - it kind of turned into a nightmare and he actually wasn't supposed to be placed with a single parent so he was with us only a couple of months. HUGE language barrier

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Seeing Eye Dog Day
National Corn Chip Day

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:

-Michael Palin

Thanks Cloven!

Old 01-29-2018, 10:33 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
[quote=cloven;50851479]Happy Monday January 29, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
Do you know people who live in other time zones ? Yes I do.
If so, can you keep track of the gap between their local time & yours ? Smart phones
Have you ever tried to synchronize/plan/schedule a videochat or phone call (in real time) w/someone in a different time zone ? Nope.

Extra Credit:
Does someone in your home snore ? Maybe
If so, did anything help to decrease the snoring (or at least make it quieter for others) ? What can be done?
Have you met someone who talked, walked, or even ate LOL in their sleep ? John talks in his sleep and we have crazy conversations. I once asked him who his girlfriend was and he answered that he didn't have one. Good answer He walked in his sleep once but that was after drinking with the boys. He came down stairs instead of using the bathroom upstairs. I followed him back up to the bedroom and he went back to sleep and didn't remember a thing about it. One time he woke me up and he was reaching for his gun on the night stand. I asked him what he was doing and he said that he was going to take a picture. The gun was put away after that. It scared the crap out of me. His brother once walked in his sleep across the street in the middle of the night and knocked on the neighbors door. It runs in the family.

Bonus:
If you put up a real (sawed/cut) Christmas tree indoors last month, what did you do with it after the holidays ? No real or big tree for me.
Does your town/region have a program to collect them (and reduce the wood to kindling/sawdust) ? I think so.

Just for Fun:
While you were in high school (or college/university), were there exchange students taking classes ? Nope.
Have you ever been an exchange student yourself (done a semester abroad/overseas/in another country) ? Nope.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
Seeing Eye Dog Day
National Corn Chip Day

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:

-Michael Palin

Thank you dear one. Our friend wants to skate at the new rink we found at 1pm today. We went to Chicago yesterday to this huge fabric warehouse. It's in a sketchy neighborhood with gang graffiti every where. I bought some supplies but still no fabric. The quest continues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics