Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 06:51 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,791,339 times

Advertisements

Where does your home have stairs or steps? at the front door and inside the front entry

What in your life would you most like to organize better? kinda like everything, but we're happy

What do you need from the store? American cheese

What have you cooked or eaten to keep it from spoiling when the power went out? nothing here

Do you have a household hint to share? farm fresh eggs will last weeks on the counter and three months in the fridge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2022, 06:53 AM

7,387 posts, read 5,500,545 times
Where does your home have stairs or steps? Basement. One step up to front and back door.

What in your life would you most like to organize better? Whole house but my husband is a pack rat and won’t let me

What do you need from the store? Fruit

What have you cooked or eaten to keep it from spoiling when the power went out? My power never goes out.

Do you have a household hint to share? Microwave vinegar for a minute, add equal amount of Dawn dish detergent, spread into your bathtub, let sit for two hours, scrub a little, rinse, nice and clean.

Old 02-05-2022, 07:53 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,140,992 times
Thank you, PegE!

Where does your home have stairs or steps? Two steps up at the front porch. That's it. No stairs inside. And I come in through the garage most of the time and there are no steps there. I mean, I do have some steps in my back yard but I don't have to use those every day.

What in your life would you most like to organize better? Under my bathroom counters!

What do you need from the store? Dog food, but it's being delivered tomorrow. I mean, I have enough for several more days - LOL. Not for me of course.

What have you cooked or eaten to keep it from spoiling when the power went out? Well, I figured if ice downed some power lines (so far so good and it's supposed to reach about 45 F today) I could put my milk out in the garage and I could always eat cereal. Or tuna out of a can. Or stuff like that. But I'd probably want something warm. I have a generator but believe me, I don't want to try to figure out how that works! LOL

Do you have a household hint to share? Yes. The best thing I ever bought for my house is an action activated toilet light I bought from Amazon for about $10. It requires two batteries and apparently lasts forever. I love it because at night it comes on when I walk into the bathroom and I never have to turn on a light in there. Highly recommend!

Old 02-05-2022, 08:01 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 3 days ago)

16,092 posts, read 21,222,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
Where does your home have stairs or steps? Stairway from the driveway to the back door, and another set from the kitchen to the basement.

What in your life would you most like to organize better? Paperwork, way too much of it and the mailman always bringing more, ugh!

What do you need from the store? Nothing, stocked up. Will need some bread soon though.

What have you cooked or eaten to keep it from spoiling when the power went out? I haven't had a power outage that lasted that long in decades.

Do you have a household hint to share? Wash your hands in pickle juice after cutting onions, takes the smell away immediately.
thx

Old 02-05-2022, 09:09 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,939,169 times
Where does your home have stairs or steps?
Inside and I hate it.

What in your life would you most like to organize better?
Where I live and my eating habits.

What do you need from the store?
Mattress.

What have you cooked or eaten to keep it from spoiling when the power went out?
Nothing.

Do you have a household hint to share?
Just to keep your kitchen and bathroom the cleanest.

Old 02-05-2022, 10:25 AM

5,608 posts, read 6,540,333 times
Quote:
Where does your home have stairs or steps? No. Intentionally no stairs or steps. Put up with 4 floors for 27 years (a Quad level or a Tri-level with a (finished) basement).

What in your life would you most like to organize better? Nothing off the top of my head. I have, as I like to say, "undiagnosed OCD" so I try to have all things in some type of order.

What do you need from the store? Nothing. I got milk in advance of the predicted snow/ice storm so am all set.

What have you cooked or eaten to keep it from spoiling when the power went out? Don't remember. Nothing recent.

"Use it or lose it". After downsizing twice, and being emotionally attached to things for the memories, I no longer want "stuff" cluttering my space. Also preparing so my only child will not have to go through a lot of things that should have been gotten rid of long ago. I still enjoy going to Estate Sales, it is all "stuff" I had in my day, or I grew up with it in family members homes. I look for a "treasure", something small, but really, I don't need a thing. The "thrill of the hunt" is what makes this a fun, free hobby.

Old 02-05-2022, 11:15 AM

24,532 posts, read 26,085,445 times
4 total, 1 each at the 4 entrances into the house.

Closets and garage.

We're good, just got a big delivery last Thursday.

A case of Alaskan King Crab. Had a big party with the neighbors.

Always keep vinegar on hand for various chores. Clean lime deposits and calcium sludge from an automatic drip coffee maker. Once a month fill the reservoir with white Vinegar and run through the brew cycle. Rinse thoroughly with cold water. Oh and keep the wife and kids out of your tool box.

Thanx PegE.

Old 02-05-2022, 12:12 PM

3,089 posts, read 1,692,120 times
Quote:
Where does your home have stairs or steps? Ours is split-leve, so it a full flight of stairs to the house. And another flight of stairs down into the garage.

What in your life would you most like to organize better? The garage.

What do you need from the store? A bit of groceries, a couple of cosmetic products from Target.

What have you cooked or eaten to keep it from spoiling when the power went out? Wow! Last time that happened for a long period, we cooked a pot of stew on the woodstove. Since then the stove has been replaced with a pelletstove, and we've not had a long black-out. But whatever would need eaten is something we couldn't cook - unless he managed to dig out camping stove in the garage without killing himself.

Don't discard old credit cards or any plastic cards - they make great pot scrubbers. And I also wrap masking or duct tape around them for travel.

Thanks, PegE!

Old 02-05-2022, 01:15 PM

44,390 posts, read 20,113,945 times
Where does your home have stairs or steps? Three short steps from the sidewalk to the front porch/deck. Ranch house, so no steps except for those going to the basement.

What in your life would you most like to organize better? Everything. I thought I would be much more organized after I retired (almost three years ago), but I've become quite the opposite. I often vow to get my act together and organize my house and paperwork, but I haven't gotten very far toward that end.

What do you need from the store? Nothing right now. Next time I go, I'll need salad fixin's and almond milk.

What have you cooked or eaten to keep it from spoiling when the power went out? I've never had power out long enough for food to spoil. When the power goes out, I do not open the fridge or freezer at all. One time, in March 1998, I was without power for about 38 hours, but nothing in the fridge spoiled because I resisted the temptation to open it.

Do you have a household hint to share? Ha. For years, I posted a daily tip thread in this forum. So, yes, I have a lot of them! Today I'll give you an outdoor household hint. If you need to shovel snow, spray the shovel with WD-40 before you start. It makes the snow slide right off and makes it much easier to lift and throw. And you don't have to re-spray it the next time you shovel. I spray my shovel just a couple of times in a winter season.

Thanks for the five easy questions, PegE! Happy weekend, everyone.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-06-2022, 12:00 PM

12,494 posts, read 2,987,763 times

3 steps up the front and back porches and from the garage.

Papers left over from college. Do i really need them?

I want a new kitchen broom to replace the worn out one.

This has not happened to me.

You can clean copper pots with vinegar and salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics