Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2023, 07:17 AM

61,825 posts, read 87,269,132 times

Advertisements

Almost October already! Yayyy!

~ Things that you think of when October is here:

End of Summer, Fall colors, milder weather...

~ Stuff that comes to mind when you hear 'Canada':

Maple leaf, maple syrup, snowy landscapes, ice hockey, aurora

~ Does crappy junk mail come to your mailbox each week?

No, and there is a way to stop it.

~ Do you ever sit outside of your home? Have you somewhere to sit outside that is sheltered from the rain?

I have patio in front and back of my house. This is what I enjoy sitting in the back:

I don't like to sit outside my home in Texas. If isn't scorching hot, then the mosquito eats me alive

~ Have you been to an Octoberfest before?

Yes, but in Germany, when I lived there.

~ Have you ever seen a bat flying?

In Austin, TX - downtown Austin, hosts the largest urban bat colony in the world, estimated at 1.5 million bats.

~ Animals that you sometimes see where you live:

Wild hogs roam free in the city where I am living now. And I see many sea birds from my patio.

In Texas - deer, bobcats, racoons, opossums, skunks visit often my yard.

~ A few kinds of soup that you enjoy:

Soups? ANY kind (chowders aren't my favorites, though). Love soups and can cook at least 30+ different kinds. I cook soup at least once a week. My favorite are borscht, wild mushrooms, split pea, bean, barley, dill pickle, sorrel, tripe, potato, tomato, meatballs, cauliflower...you name it.
Here are some recipes, if interested:
https://www.everydayhealthyrecipes.c...-polish-soups/

~ Things that you might add to your drink:

Booze other than that - I drink mostly hot black teas, so I might add a slice of lemon or milk. Oh, I also drink sparkling water, sometimes with lemon, lime or real fruit syrup.

**** Be well and happy...peace and love to you...****

Wishing same to you, roosty!!

Last edited by elnina; 09-29-2023 at 07:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2023, 07:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,610 posts, read 81,297,702 times

~ Things that you think of when October is here: Leaves in color, and Frost

~ Stuff that comes to mind when you hear 'Canada': Tim Horton's

~ Does crappy junk mail come to your mailbox each week? Yes, and it stays outside in the recycling bin.

~ Do you ever sit outside of your home? Have you somewhere to sit outside that is sheltered from the rain?
Yes and no. We have a nice deck but it's not covered.

~ Have you been to an Octoberfest before? No

~ Have you ever seen a bat flying? Many times, when dark on the way to work in early morning.

~ Animals that you sometimes see where you live: In order of frequency: Squirrels, rabbits, deer, raccoons, coyotes, bobcats, opossums, black bears.

~ A few kinds of soup that you enjoy: Split pea, tomato, Italian wedding, clam chowder.

~ Things that you might add to your drink: Almost every day I add flavor drops to my water.

Old 09-29-2023, 07:43 AM

35,122 posts, read 17,071,355 times
Thanks for the thread start and the questions.
Almost October already! Yayyy! However, October beginning is not a great thing.

1. Fiftieth anniversary of the Yom Kippur War
  2. Fiftieth anniversary of the so-called "oil embargo"
  3. First month with possible NYC snow
  4. October surprise
  5. World Series baseball
  6. Steep declines in daylight

1. Ice hockey
  2. A country where I know the names of all the Prime Ministers but can't get the fourth through sixth or seventh in order
  3. Lingual politics
  4. Many good times on vacations
  5. Almrusch
  6. ChevySpoon
  7. My favorite singers, Gordon Lightfoot and Neil Young

~ Does crappy junk mail come to your mailbox each week? Yes, both conventional and "e"

~ Do you ever sit outside of your home? Yes Have you somewhere to sit outside that is sheltered from the rain? No

~ Have you been to an Octoberfest before? Yes, in White Plains. Overpriced and crowded

~ Have you ever seen a bat flying? Yes

~ Animals that you sometimes see where you live: Humans, dogs, cats, opossums, raccoons, deer, foxes, coyotes, robins, cardinals, starlings, blue jays

~ A few kinds of soup that you enjoy: Split pea, butternut squash, gazpacho

~ Things that you might add to your drink: Usually take drinks unadulterated

Old 09-29-2023, 08:57 AM

6,884 posts, read 4,888,158 times
Halloween is the first thing I think of regarding October. Then using the leaf blower for the next couple of months. How nice it would be if the trees would just drop their leaves all at once. The first fire of the season.

Canada: the mounties, snow, Aurora borealis, forests (more recently that's changed to forest fires!)

At various times I see, from my windows, bobcats, coyotes, deer, raccoons, squirrels, skunks, and the rare opossum. Lots of birds. I love watching the turkey vultures soar. There are wild turkeys, too, on occasion. Various raptors and songbirds.

I have found single bats at times tucked up in unexpected places. I suppose I should put up a bat box.

Soup is one of my favorite things. So many delicious kinds.

I've been to an Octoberfest. The chicken dance is funny!

Mostly I just drink water. Sometimes I make a lemon drop martini. I don't like coffee - Bleah!

Last edited by E-Twist; 09-29-2023 at 09:09 AM..

Old 09-29-2023, 10:22 AM

24,492 posts, read 26,033,205 times

Cooler weather and hopefully rain, Halloween.

My brother, BC, ferries, sea planes,Trans Canada Train and a retired co worker

Yes but not as much lately.

Yes X 2

No

Yes, at flight at Carlsbad Caverens.

Cats, dogs occasional possum or racoon

Clam chowde, albondagas,French onion, gazpacho, tortilla tomato

Olives

Thanx Roosty, fun Q's.

Old 09-29-2023, 11:22 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,800,805 times

Crisp air, falling leaves, the colors, smells like pumpkin spice. And Halloween.

Mounties, whiskey, cool accents, aboot and oot. LOL

Yes, tons of crappy junk and bills. It's never anything good.

No, nowhere to sit. Even if I did, there would be no privacy. Voices carry throughout the neighborhood so everyone can hear you unless you whisper. One of the downsides of living here.

Yeah, but I don't remember when and where.

Oh yes, they fly around here at night, one was stuck to the side of my house when I came out of the door one time, the bat freaked out and so did I. They have also dive-bombed my head.

Deer, lots of deer. Squirrels, raccoons, woodchuck, cats, and many birds.

broccoli cheddar, french onion, potato (Campbell's only), chicken noodle, vegetable and more. I kind of love soup.

what kind of drink? water - powder flavoring. diet coke - spiced rum. Sugar, lemon, creamer, honey, special flavorings.

Thank you Roosty!

Old 09-29-2023, 11:58 AM

1,377 posts, read 617,740 times

### Changing of the leaves, Halloween with terrifying lil’ tricking monsters looking for treats, pumpkin pie.

### Oh, Canada

###

~ Do you ever sit outside of your home?

### Rarely, I’m a bug attractor

Have you somewhere to sit outside that is sheltered from the rain?

### I do, but I don’t sit due to above forementioned

###

###

### Mostly mountain dwelling creatures.

### I pretty much like all soups, even like the sound of the word ‘soup’

### I drink water, sometimes add lemon or lime to it

### Triple that for you and everyone

### THX for the QOTD.

Last edited by CEN2RION; 09-29-2023 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: Emoji didn’t show

Old 09-29-2023, 01:40 PM

3,105 posts, read 2,013,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

Hello, hello.

Halloween, candy apples, colorful leaves, low humidity weather.

Montreal. A summer of wildfires. The recent trucker protests.

No.

No. I'm on the 3rd floor in a giant apt complex. I have a small balcony with no canopy, but I can't sit outside without hundreds of apts overlooking my balcony... I don't feel comfortable being watched.

No. No interest. I'm not a heavy drinker.

Yes. Unfortunately, as a kid I lived in a place with so many, you had to pull your coat over your head & run passed as you could feel them swish by very close to your head. Yikes!

Lots of aggressive dog breeds, sometimes off leash. Nothing else... I'm in the city, no trees or grass.

Homemade only. Ground beef, potato & rosemary. Chicken noodle. Vegetable. Borscht, cold with sour cream.

Nothing. I drink water, black espresso, occasional black tea. No additives needed.

Be well, TY...

Old 09-29-2023, 03:40 PM

44,375 posts, read 20,083,252 times
Almost October already! Yayyy! Yippee!

~ Things that you think of when October is here: Colorful leaves on deciduous trees; falling leaves; leaves crunching under my feet when I'm out walking; birds crowding my feeders as they store up fat; chilly nights and warm days; Halloween decorations in the neighborhood.

~ Stuff that comes to mind when you hear 'Canada': "O Canada" (national anthem); maple leaf flag; hockey; lovely people; scrumptious food; fishing; gorgeous scenery.

~ Does crappy junk mail come to your mailbox each week? Yep - almost every day!.

~ Do you ever sit outside of your home? Yes, occasionally. Have you somewhere to sit outside that is sheltered from the rain? If it's not real windy, yes. My front porch deck is covered, and I have a nice bench out there, facing the street. I live in a friendly neighborhood and often exchange "hellos" with people walking by.

~ Have you been to an Octoberfest before? Not in Germany, but I've been to small-town Oktoberfest celebrations here in NW IN. Last Saturday I went to an Oktoberfest party at the home of some friends who are German. Had a blast!

~ Have you ever seen a bat flying? Yes. I love bats. When I was growing up, they frequently flew around the streetlight that was on the corner by our house. I was fascinated by them. I've seen bats many times since then as well, thought I don't see them very often around my house.

~ Animals that you sometimes see where you live: Squirrels (bazillions!); bunnies; raccoons; one groundhog that's been around here for years; ground squirrels; mice. At nearby farms I see horses, cows, pigs, goats and llamas. If I drive about 15 minutes out of town I can see bison at a bison farm. Oh, and earlier this week I saw a turkey vulture enjoying a meal of road kill.

~ A few kinds of soup that you enjoy: Chicken with rice or noodles; split pea; lentil; bean and ham; beef vegetable; lemon rice. All homemade, of course!

~ Things that you might add to your drink: Once in a while, in winter, when I make coffee I stir in a packet of diet Swiss Miss. Mmmmmmm GOOD!

**** Be well and happy...peace and love to you...**** Thanks for the fun fill-ins, roosty! Happy weekend, everyone!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-29-2023 at 03:50 PM..

Old 09-29-2023, 04:30 PM

21,558 posts, read 8,737,989 times
Halloween, our wedding anniversary, my stepsister's birthday.
Vancouver, Victoria, Butchart Gardens, the Empress Hotel, currency that comes in different colors.
Yes, almost every day.
I rarely sit outside because we're close to the ocean, and it's usually chilly and windy even in summer.
Yes, in Portland, Oregon.
Yes, I have. Someone had to tell me they were bats and not birds because I couldn't tell the difference.
Squirrels, songbirds, hawks, doves, jays, coyotes, raccoons, skunks.
Cream of tomato, minestrone, vegetable, white bean, potato leek, bean and bacon.
Ice cubes, sugar or Splenda, lemon or lime wedges.

Thanks, Roosty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics