Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 05:44 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,128,548 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone
Happy Sunday
When I read it was "National Camera Day" I knew we could have some fun with

Todays Questions:

Do you remember when you got your first camera ?

What was the most unusual camera you ever owned ?

Is there one "subject" you photograph the most?

Do you find yourself more often the "picture taker" or the "picture subject" ?

Today in history:
June 29, 1863 Very 1st First National Bank opens in Davenport, Iowa
June 29,1888 - First (known) recording of classical music made, Handel's Israel in Egypt on wax cylinder
June 29,1956 - The Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956 is signed, officially creating the United States Interstate Highway System.

Word of the day:
interpolate \in-TUR-puh-layt\, transitive verb:
1. To alter or corrupt (as a book or text) by the insertion of new or foreign matter.
2. To insert (material) into a text or conversation.
3. To insert between other elements or parts.

Today is:
National Almond Butter Crunch Day
It is also
Log Cabin Day
and
National Camera Day
and don't forget
No Longer Plain M&Ms Day (In 2000, M&M/Mars renamed their plain M&Ms as milk chocolate M&Ms.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 05:53 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times
Todays Questions:

Do you remember when you got your first camera ? In 1970's an Argus

What was the most unusual camera you ever owned ? Some goofy old polariod

Is there one "subject" you photograph the most? People

I used to be the taker, now more often the subject (that could be a bad thing)

Old 06-29-2008, 07:00 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,358,351 times
I remember it, but not sure what birthday I was having. Camera was a silver Kodak, shaped like a small box, with a top that flipped open to allow you to see the picture. I took lots of pictures with it over the years, and can still go back and find most of the snap shots in my collection of family and friends.

I am not sure if I ever I had an unusual camera. In the late 60’s I bought a very good camera while in the service. I used it till it was stolen from my car in 1982, after which I replaced it with the same make only with a power drive.

I have always like catching small segments of time in a picture. Never really liked to have my picture taken, but with luck have had enough hams in my family to give me lots of memories.

In the last few years I have gone digital. Take a lot more pictures, just not sure they are as good as the old SLR cameras. I seem to have moved away from Black and White pictures, which I liked than and still do now, but with new Cameras the color pictures are better and with no extra work from the photographer. I think most people like them better too. The new cameras are not as much fun as the older 35 mm SLR.

I like to take pictures of my family first, and nature 2nd, I guess 3rd would be my travels, and 4th my work.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:04 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,117,748 times
I'm always the taker, rarely the subject. I don't remember my first, but I always liked when my dad would let me use his 35 mm. It took great photos. The subject I like to photograph most is landscapes.

Have a nice day, good folks.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:26 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,866,146 times
Todays Questions:

Nope. Have had a camera as long as I can remember. My boys all have/had their first cameras by age 6 so kind of keeping the tradition going I guess.

For me it was unusual in that it was an OLD 110. Nothing too unusual or interesting really.

Nature and landscapes about equally. I can take photos of my boys because I know what to expect and how their reactions are going to be so I can capture that. With other people though I just get so many snapshots. None of which are worth reproducing.

Picture taker for sure. I can't stand having my photo taken

Old 06-29-2008, 07:49 AM

4,951 posts, read 2,538,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Good morning everyone
Happy Sunday

Todays Questions:

I do not remember when I got my first camera....way too long ago!!!!!
I haven't owned an unusually camera.
I enjoy photographing nature. I am partial to waterfalls, running rivers, stormy skies,thunderstorm, raindrops, sunrises, sunsets, flowers, sunbeams filtering through trees or landscape, and fall colored leaves. (That shouldn't be a suprise...) I also LOVE taking pictures of my kids.. I take pictures of the them, just because!!! I keep a camera within quick reach to catch those "I wish I had a camera" moments.
I am most definitely the picture taker....I hate being the subject of a picture. I can move pretty darn quick when someone besides me has a camera...I've been known to run into another room if a camera appeared!!

I love plain m&m's...(.I don't care what they are called now...they will always be plain to me!!!!)

I want a log cabin.... (provided that it is a log cabin home and not the syrup...I already have some of that in my pantry.)

(Just a sidenote....I really don't care much for the digital cameras which everyone seems to love...I prefer the others.)

Old 06-29-2008, 07:50 AM

27,353 posts, read 27,405,100 times
Quote:
Good morning everyone
Happy Sunday

Todays Questions:

Today in history:
June 29, 1863 Very 1st First National Bank opens in Davenport, Iowa
June 29,1888 - First (known) recording of classical music made, Handel's Israel in Egypt on wax cylinder
June 29,1956 - The Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956 is signed, officially creating the United States Interstate Highway System.

Word of the day:
interpolate \in-TUR-puh-layt\, transitive verb:
1. To alter or corrupt (as a book or text) by the insertion of new or foreign matter.
2. To insert (material) into a text or conversation.
3. To insert between other elements or parts.

Today is:
National Almond Butter Crunch Day
It is also
Log Cabin Day
and
National Camera Day
and don't forget
No Longer Plain M&Ms Day (In 2000, M&M/Mars renamed their plain M&Ms as milk chocolate M&Ms.)

Yep I remember my first camera, it was one of those 'accordion open' type black n white film camera. Took lots of pics with that one! In high school I was introduced to photography by my best friend who also got me involved more with acting, theater and doing plays. He had a really nice Olympus 35mm (one of the first made) and since then, photography has been one of my favourite ways to keep busy. Im usually more of the person behind the lens than in front of, but prefer doing candid shots than 'posed'.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:20 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,873,705 times
Quote:
Todays Questions:

First camera.. it was one of those cheap Polaroids, I got it when I was 16... Does that count?

Actually the first real camera was a Mamiya my father bought in the early 1960's, then he gave it to me sometime in the mid 1970's. I lost it at San Francisco International Airport in 1983.

The one subject I photograph the most... Let's not talk about that. - Actually it's sunsets.

Picture taker or Subject.... probably subject.. in mughots! Just kidding, I'm mostly the picture taker.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:53 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,377,609 times
The first camera I ever owned was one my Grandmother had given me when I was very young, a box camera she had hung on to. It never took any pictures after I got it but it meant a lot to me. This was the most unusual camera I ever owned, leather wrapped simplicity like the era it came from.

I don't like posed photos, The one subject I photograph the most would be my family with a backdrop of whatever we are into that day.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:10 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,628,441 times
Quote:
Todays Questions:

My first camera was a gift from my older brother - a Polaroid 800 Land camera. Close to that time also my parents gave me their old Ricohflex twin-lens camera - the kind you look down into the hood to focus and everything is reversed. I believe I was 6 years old when I got these.

The most unusual camera I've owned? That's a tough question, because I used to collect old and unusual cameras. Probably one of the view cameras - the Montgomery Ward 5x7 view camera from 1905. Gorgeous piece of equipment - mahogany body and brass fittings - and still produced great portraits.

One subject I photograph more? Since I worked for several years as a photographer's assistant and then on my own as a freelancer, I've shot everything from portraits to weddings to sports, children to pets, landscapes to technical photography. I guess portraits would be the number one shot, from weddings, model and actor resumes, family shots, etc.

I was always the guy behind the camera - very rarely in front of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics