Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 12:58 PM

27,347 posts, read 27,400,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Hmmm... everytime I dropped my home phone, it broke, so I just ended up getting a new one... But my cell phone is more reliable, I've dropped it lots of times and it's still working..

Actually, I'd like to have both a land line and a cell phone. It never hurts to have a back up if one fails.
You know where to go. Your room!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 01:26 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,265,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Can't recharge a dead battery if the power is out.....
Very true. That's why I don't let mine go dead. We do have a charger that runs off the car, though. Don't need power for that.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:12 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,073,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Very true. That's why I don't let mine go dead. We do have a charger that runs off the car, though. Don't need power for that.
I just got a larger battery for my cell for a longer runtime....

Last edited by Bones; 08-30-2008 at 03:27 PM..

Old 08-30-2008, 03:21 PM

622 posts, read 3,113,157 times
I would love to do that at some point and go cell only. I've just been getting great deals every couple of years with high speed cable and now Verizon fios triple deal that it just as easy to keep both.

I also have the dreaded 'corded' phones in every room of my house. lol I have only one cordless phone that i use other than those. They are part of a phone system which communicates with each other and front/back doors etc... It's one of those small business/home office type systems. I love it and wouldn't know what to do with out it. Call any room in the house on intercom. Call the kids for dinner, answer the front door from any room/phone in the house, AND unlock the door via any phone etc... So, for now, I'll keep it just to keep using it for those things as well as making calls with it.

If all else fails, MagicJack is in my future, it seems. $20/year for phone service? Why not?

One question- What do you guys do for internet service? Don't you need a landline for that? Like i said above, I have the triple play service. phone/internet/TV from Verizon. I don't know how one would get just internet and TV. or Myabe a phone line sin't needed for internet if it's high speed. Yeah, that may be it.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:08 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,556 times
We got out of the land line racket years ago. Haven't looked back since.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:37 PM

131 posts, read 439,933 times
Been on cell only for 6 years without a thought. As to internet, you can get DSL with no phone attached. It's called dry, naked, standalone among other terminology. Of course there's always cable, satellite, wireless, etc.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:46 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,009,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJersey? View Post
I would love to do that at some point and go cell only. I've just been getting great deals every couple of years with high speed cable and now Verizon fios triple deal that it just as easy to keep both.

I also have the dreaded 'corded' phones in every room of my house. lol I have only one cordless phone that i use other than those. They are part of a phone system which communicates with each other and front/back doors etc... It's one of those small business/home office type systems. I love it and wouldn't know what to do with out it. Call any room in the house on intercom. Call the kids for dinner, answer the front door from any room/phone in the house, AND unlock the door via any phone etc... So, for now, I'll keep it just to keep using it for those things as well as making calls with it.

If all else fails, MagicJack is in my future, it seems. $20/year for phone service? Why not?

One question- What do you guys do for internet service? Don't you need a landline for that? Like i said above, I have the triple play service. phone/internet/TV from Verizon. I don't know how one would get just internet and TV. or Myabe a phone line sin't needed for internet if it's high speed. Yeah, that may be it.

Before you go with Magic Jack get online and read the reviews and so forth. Read the contract etc. I was all ready to order it off if QVC and luckily my DH did more research.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:53 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,350,665 times
I have two kids so I would not go without a home phone. It is a small price to pay, knowing that there is a phone available at all times in case we need to dial 911. My children know where the phones are and how to contact emergency services.

Just recently I had a problem with my cell phone battery. It kept dying even after charging all night. All those times it died I would not have had a phone. Plus, cell phones sometimes drop calls unexpectedly.

Have you ever misplaced your cell phone? and how do you find it? I know what I do, I pick up the house phone, call it, and then listen for it. If you have no house phone, how do you find the cell phone if it is lost?

For a split second I contemplated not getting a house phone. We did live without one for about 1.5 months after we moved, because I didn't want to bring the phone/internet/cable ppl to the house till we bought the new furniture and decided exactly where the tv, computer would be. I thought, if we could make it 1.5 months maybe we shouldn't get it. but I didn't want to risk it.

One thing I thought of, would be to add on another phone line to your cell phone plan (you can usually add another line for $10) and ALWAYS keep that cell phone in the EXACT same place in the house. this way, it becomes essentially like your home phone. but it would not easily be misplaced.

My brother lives with 2 roomates and they do not have a house phone. They all like this arrangement (no kids there), and with 3 ppl living in the same house, that is THREE cell phones. I can see why the don't want to pay for a house phone.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:24 PM

3,087 posts, read 1,076,328 times
I have had a cell phone only for probably close to five years now and although I get poor reception sometimes; I'll risk it. There is no one else here to call 911 for me anyways

Old 08-31-2008, 01:04 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
Ive got both landline and cell. I don't use my cell a lot, dont use landline a lot. But our gate to get in my neighborhood requires a landline to let someone in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics