Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 09:54 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,686,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I saw the commercial earlier this week, and I'm wondering, every shammy I bought worked fine for a while, then after a while it lost its ability to absoarb water. With those Shamwows, the guy is doing his demonstration to show how absorbent they are, but that's when they're new, will they be as asborbent after a year of use?
I googled for reviews a few days ago, and they weren't very good for the most part. I won't waste my money on them that's for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 10:16 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times
I am a totoal sucker for those TV goodies!! I've bought just about anything and everything I've seen and spent tons of $$ doing it! Finally, after many years I have come to figure it all out---it isn't what it looks like and it probably dosn't work like they say it does. And if you are lucky enought to get something that is what they say it doesn't last very long...usually! Maybe out of 10 items I've bought 2 have been just ok. I still find myself thinking I must have that but then I remind myself of my past experiences!

Old 10-21-2008, 07:22 AM

50 posts, read 245,872 times
I have to admit being one of those people that falls for infomercial schlock, but some of them do actually work, although not always as great as you see on TV.

The biggest thing I've ever bought from TV was the Ronco(Popeil) Rotisserie, and I'm here to tell you not only does the thing work, it's great! We actually use it a lot, and the quality is actually pretty decent. It seems to be built pretty well.

Space Bags are great as well. No problems with them so far.

That cordless, automatic can opener does indeed work as advertised, but how lazy is that?! As I said, it does indeed work, but it makes this horrible high pitched screeching sound that my dogs hate. It now resides somewhere in the junk drawer.

I've yet to see any of those "miracle scratch removers" for cars do as advertised, and I have tried dozens of them. They just simply don't work.

None of those personal health gimmick things work. The pills don't work, the press on anti-toxin pads don't work. Stay away from those. Most of those things don't require FDA approval so use at your own risk.

Some As Seen On TV products actually do work, but many don't. The fun is in the chase.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:14 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,951,765 times
*cough-abdoer-cough*

Didn't work either!

Old 10-21-2008, 12:43 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
Infomercials only aide in padding the bank accounts of the presenters. The primary help is not to the consumer but to the bottom line of those promoting the products and the manufacturers of these products,

Old 10-21-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Infomercials only aide in padding the bank accounts of the presenters. The primary help is not to the consumer but to the bottom line of those promoting the products and the manufacturers of these products,
Well yeah, that's the idea. Companies are in business to make a profit. It's up to us, the consumers, to make the wise decisions about what to buy.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:18 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,269,134 times
i appreciate the tip on the scratch remover, andy.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:29 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
Well yeah, that's the idea. Companies are in business to make a profit. It's up to us, the consumers, to make the wise decisions about what to buy.
Sure it is, then what when you find out you're buying useless junk. Generally your stuck. Biggest complaints today are stuff bought from infomercials. Trying to get your money back is like pulling hens teeth. A good portion of consumers do not make wise decisions.
A good many of these infos are medical scams and innocent people are suckered into it and the damage is unconsciable.. There is no one overseeing the safety, reliability or worthiness of these products.

Last edited by wit-nit; 10-21-2008 at 05:38 PM..

Old 10-22-2008, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Sure it is, then what when you find out you're buying useless junk. Generally your stuck. Biggest complaints today are stuff bought from infomercials. Trying to get your money back is like pulling hens teeth. A good portion of consumers do not make wise decisions.
A good many of these infos are medical scams and innocent people are suckered into it and the damage is unconsciable.. There is no one overseeing the safety, reliability or worthiness of these products.
True, especially those diet and health supplements. It kills me the number of people who will order something from an unknown company and actually put it in their bodies! Those disclaimers scare me also, the part about claims not having been evaluated by the FDA. Which basically means there is no telling what is in those pills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics