Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 05:55 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,543,102 times

Advertisements

The folded flag thread go me to thinking....

Most of you know that I have lots a military in my family so this subject is close to my heart........

My son was originally supposed to graduate Friday from jump school and we were going to spend Memorial Day weekend up at Ft Benning...very cool.
Well he must not have been listening when they told him how to land because he's back at Ft Bragg with a separated shoulder. He's ok, just bummed and left us with Memorial Day weekend free.

So as soon as we realized it, we said HEY! (to no one in particular just HEY!)
Let do a ride for the troops! Trusty Google.....no rides to be found! Not one thing could we find to honor the troops. Biker wise that is. Very disturbing.

So we're going to go put a flag on DH's father's grave then go up to the National Cemetery for the services there.

What are your plans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 06:28 AM

947 posts, read 2,399,656 times
Oh goodness Granny Sue I have not even really thought about it.
We have lots of military members in our family too and my poor brother wanted to serve. Age 14 he got cancer. The army wanted him to wait 10 years cancer free. So he did. He blow his knee in basic training. He stayed in as long as he could but his knee was so bad they let him go on medical honors.

This weekend we will probably celebrate but do not know how. We also get to celebrate my middle sons 5th birthday.

Happy Memorial day! Thank you soldiers!

Last edited by stacieberry; 05-20-2009 at 06:32 AM.. Reason: to many mistakes.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:04 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,676,862 times
We will decorate the tree-- No wait, we dye eggs--that's still not right. We will see if the gopher drinks green beer. That is about what Memorial Day has become to most of the country. Just another 3 day weekend. I am filling in for a vacationing pastor Sunday. Message title is "So Much to Remember". We need to remember brave men and women who gave their lives and those who are right now away from family so we can enjoy the lives we live.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:24 AM

4,498 posts, read 6,317,908 times
We have a similar day to this in Australia which we call Anzac day. It's very important to honour those who serve your country and remember those who have fallen in service. It's easy for me to spare a thought for your soldiers as so often our countries have fought side by side. We must never forget those who make the ultimate sacrifice, what more can a person do for their country?

Old 05-20-2009, 07:33 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,274,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
We will decorate the tree-- No wait, we dye eggs--that's still not right. We will see if the gopher drinks green beer. That is about what Memorial Day has become to most of the country. Just another 3 day weekend. I am filling in for a vacationing pastor Sunday. Message title is "So Much to Remember". We need to remember brave men and women who gave their lives and those who are right now away from family so we can enjoy the lives we live.
See if the gopher drinks green beer! LOL! Like your sermon title!

We are planning to have several of our close friends over Saturday night (the ones I call "the gang" or "the usual suspects.") My husband & I are both off Friday and looking forward to a 4 day week-end. I agree it is important to bear in mind why we celebrate Memorial Day.

Last edited by kaykay; 05-20-2009 at 07:43 AM..

Old 05-20-2009, 07:41 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,676,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
We have a similar day to this in Australia which we call Anzac day. It's very important to honour those who serve your country and remember those who have fallen in service. It's easy for me to spare a thought for your soldiers as so often our countries have fought side by side. We must never forget those who make the ultimate sacrifice, what more can a person do for their country?
When is Anzac Day so that we might remember your men also?

Old 05-20-2009, 08:37 AM

19,725 posts, read 10,500,557 times
Quote:
Any chance I can talk you into sharing "The Message"?

Old 05-20-2009, 01:36 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Thanks to Google and Wikipedia.

"Anzac Day is a national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand, and is commemorated by both countries on 25 April every year to honour members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who fought at Gallipoli in Turkey during World War I. It now more broadly commemorates all those who died and served in military operations for the country. Anzac Day is also observed in the Cook Islands, Niue, Samoa and Tonga."

Old 05-20-2009, 02:14 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
We will proudly fly the flag, remember those who served and who are serving-best of the best.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:43 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,317,908 times
Quote:
When is Anzac Day so that we might remember your men also?

Half the reason that I made a comment on this is because back in April I made a comment about Anzac day and recieved some really nice comments back. So really it is me who is returning the thought for your guys.

Thanks Tek_Freek for providing the explanation. I want to add though that services are held in Turkey and France as well for Anzac day hosted by those countries out of respect for Anzac soldiers.

I feel very deeply about remembrance days because if I can't imagine the horror of going into battle and facing possible death and I think that those who have done it and do it now on a daily basis deserve so much respect, regardless of what the politics are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics