Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:43 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,685,649 times

Advertisements

Today's Question(s):

The "Temporary Fairy" is coming to visit you for 24 hours

This will give you the chance to, try something new or different.
It may be anything from a New hair do or color, to a new job or even a new city etc... and after 24 hours everything goes back to normal
So !!!
24 hrs on a small island sounds like fun but only if I can pick the weather.

What would you try or change in your 24 hours ?
Just sit on the beach, sip iced tea and listen to the surf.

Bonus Question:

Who would you say was the most interesting (ok or unusual person) you have most recently interacted with ?
My friend "Animal Jim Feurer". Animal has been racing for 40+ years and I think he can remember every win or loss and the reason for it. He is almost a living legend.

Extra Credit Question:

Are you a "crafty" person ?
No crafts but it may interest Mike to know that I once built RC planes.

What kind of crafts do you like doing ?

For those "non-crafty" folks , is there a craft you would like to try ?
I live my life the way it is thank you.
Just for Fun:
In honor of Bad Hair Day (you know I couldn't let this pass by)

What was your worst,most unusual or funniest "Bad Hair Day" story ?
I've posted this before so if you have heard it turn the page. For the rest of you this is how crazy my life can be.
The McDonalds racing team brought barbers to the track and the crews were going to have their long hair cut and donate it to "Locks of Love". An organization that makes wigs for kids who loose their hair during medical treatment. They asked me to ask others to join them. As part of my plea I told people I was going to donate my hair. When I found out they needed at least 10" of hair I changed my plan. I told the crowd that if they would donate $200.00 to DRAW (an organization that helps injured racers) I would get my head shaved. In less than 15 min my friends collected over $500.00.
Our PR guy, never wanting to miss an opportunity for positive publicity, set a chair on a trailer by the starting line. I thought it would be a great idea to call MrsD, put her on the speaker phone and put her comments on the PA while I gave a cut by cut description. We even had pictures projected at that years award banquet.

Today in History:
1741 - Alaska was discovered by Danish navigator Vitus Jonas Bering. That’s how the Bering Sea got its name.
1896 - Dial telephone patented
1945 - Dodgers Tommy Brown, 17, is youngest player to hit a HR
1965 Rolling Stones release "Satisfaction" (their 1st #1 U.S. hit)
1980 Reinhold Messner of Italy is 1st to solo ascent Mount Everest

Word of the Day:

perorate\PUR-uh-rayt\ , intransitive verb:
1. To conclude or sum up a long discourse.
2. To speak or expound at length; to declaim.

Today is:
Lemonade Day
National Chocolate Pecan Pie Day
Summer Cool-Off Day
National Radio Day
Bamboo Day
Bad Hair Day[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 09:49 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,014,913 times
Today's Question(s):

It may be anything from a New hair do or color, to a new job or even a new city etc... and after 24 hours everything goes back to normal
So !!!

Well there is my fantasy dream job...womens dressing room attendant at a strip club

Bonus Question:

Who would you say was the most interesting (ok or unusual person) you have most recently interacted with ?
A few months ago I was in a small town in Spain. I was out for a walk when I encountered what was probably the town drunk. He was a jolly fellow. Could not understand a single word he was saying.

Extra Credit Question:

I am not much of a crafty person. My job requires me to always be paying attention to details. When away from work my brain shuts down and I have the attention span of a 3 year old.

Just for Fun:

I forgot to comb my hair after washing it. Was not until I had been at work for a couple hours before I saw that it was a mess.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:53 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,959,360 times
For 24 hours, I'd like to complete one large project instead of getting involved in 10 smaller ones & giving a percentage of time to each.
Focus! For 24 hours, I'd like to master the art of Focusing!!!

One of my offices I deliver flowers to weekly has an employee there that is a classically trained violinist. Yesterday she showed me her new violin
- an electric number that is a beautiful work of art. She will be playing it tomorrow @ an outdoor concert. The band she is in melds classical, rock, & bluegrass. I'm really going to try to make that show - would love to see how that sounds!

Are you a "crafty" person ? What kind of crafts do you like doing ?
Not as much as I used to be. Time. I need time. If flower arranging is considered a craft, then I guess I would say yes.

Do any of you remember "Sun-In"? You sprayed it in your hair & then sat in the sun. It was s'posed to give you blond highlights.
Note to any Irish gals out there with brown hair: you won't get blond - you will get red - no!...ORANGE highlights!!

Today in History:
1741 - Alaska was discovered by Danish navigator Vitus Jonas Bering. That’s how the Bering Sea got its name.
Now AK Mutt knows who to thank for his stomping grounds!!

Old 08-20-2009, 10:04 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,289,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post

Do any of you remember "Sun-In"? You sprayed it in your hair & then sat in the sun. It was s'posed to give you blond highlights.
Note to any Irish gals out there with brown hair: you won't get blond - you will get red - no!...ORANGE highlights!!
Yes, I remember Sun-In. Seems like as I recall, I didn't really get any discernible results with it! Perhaps I was too shy with the application of it. Don't really remember...that was many, many moons ago and I have slept since then!

Old 08-20-2009, 10:16 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,650,457 times
Happy Thursday to all!! Can someone send the cleaning fairy my way?? I am really trying to get ready for this party that we are hosting, but I haven't had much time at home this week!!

The "Temporary Fairy" is coming to visit you for 24 hours. This will give you the chance to try something new or different. It may be anything from a new hairdo or color, to a new job or even a new city, etc... And after 24 hours everything goes back to normal. So-- What would you try or change in your 24 hours?
I would like to have my dad alive and here with me for a day. He passed away when I was 23, so he never met my dh or kids. I know they all would have enjoyed each others company so much!

Who would you say was the most interesting (ok or unusual person) you have most recently interacted with?
My kids had their first day of martial arts yesterday, and the instructor is a lady that is probably in her late 50's. You can see by things she does that she definitely knows what she is doing, and the kids really like her. She interacts with the kids and parents during the class. My son has a condition with his knees called Osgood Schlatters disease, and she immediately knew what it was (which rarely happens) and set him up with an alternate routine! In an hours time, she went from teaching class, helping with uniforms, helping us get signed up, and anything else that came along - - yet everything seemed very calm, organized, and not chaotic! That is my kind of person!!

Are you a crafty person?
To an extent - yes!

What kind of crafts do you like doing?
I love floral arranging. I did my own wedding, and three other ones! I also like to paint ceramics or wood items.

For those non-crafty folks, is there a craft you would like to try?
I would like to take a bow making class. Some of those bows that people make are beautiful. Whenever I did the floral stuff, I always had someone else do my bows if they were anything other than simple!

In honor of Bad Hair Day - What was your worst, most unusual or funniest "Bad Hair Day" story?
I was 15 and decided I wanted to get a body perm. My hair was long, about to the middle of my back. I wanted flowing curls and took a picture of what I wanted in to the salon. This was my first perm................
She took the picture and did my hair. When she was taking the rods out, she commented "Wow, your hair takes really well"! You think so - My hair was half way down my back and by the time she was done it had shrunk up to above my shoulders and I looked like a poodle!!! It was horrible!

Lemonade Day - We have that around the house alot, the kids love it!
National Chocolate Pecan Pie Day - Hmm, never had it before....
Summer Cool Off Day - Says who!!
National Radio Day - Yes!
Bad Hair Day - No thanks, I'll pass!

I hope everyone has a great day!!!

Old 08-20-2009, 10:25 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,556,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
[b][b][u]

Bonus Question:

My friend "Animal Jim Feurer". Animal has been racing for 40+ years and I think he can remember every win or loss and the reason for it. He is almost a living legend.

[/quote]

Sorry Studedude...I didn't sign my question in the reps....didn't Animal Jim have a shop in Lacon, Il at one time? I seem to remember my dad wanting me to meet him and he was never there lol.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:35 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,685,649 times
Sorry Studedude...I didn't sign my question in the reps....didn't Animal Jim have a shop in Lacon, Il at one time? I seem to remember my dad wanting me to meet him and he was never there lol.[/quote]

He still has a shop in Lacon. He works with me at the track also.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:53 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,213,139 times
Well at first I thought I would like to try dying just to see how it feels, what happens and who I get see. But I don't want to hurt my kids with that. So.............. I'd love to be able to sit in the Cubs dugout during a game and do whatever the players do after a game.

I'm drawing a blank sorry

I did before kids "they" wanted their own bedroom so bye bye mom's craft room. Made all kinds of crafts you would see at craft shows, did ceramics, jewelry making, t-shirt painting and crocheted.

What was your worst, most unusual or funniest "Bad Hair Day" story ?
A few years ago went to a new shop showed a picture to the girl and she cut my hair so badly I looked like a man. My kids were with me trying to comfort me in our van but once we got home they said "mom it really does look pretty bad". I didn't go anywhere for about a month so it could grow out then I could style it a bit.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:55 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,044,253 times
Today's Question(s):

So !!!

I would be a woman for that one day. And no, it's NOT because I'm into cross-dressing...LOL. Like somone said on a previous page it would just be cool to see what it's like to be the opposite sex. And besides, I might figure out what women really want, that could also help my love life when I go back to being a man the next day!

Bonus Question:

I had a very unusual person knock on my door a few weeks ago that I had never seen before. I answered the door and immediately noticed that something was not right with her. She looked really glassy-eyed and unkempt. I've seen that look before when I used to help people recovering from drug addiction. This lady was definitely on something. Anyway, when I answered the door she didn't introduce herself in any way and before I could even say a word she just asked me if she could borrow two eggs. I was out of eggs and when I told her that she just glared at me for about 5 seconds and then stormed off, obviously upset. She was positively scary.

Extra Credit Question:

No, I've never been that good at arts and crafts.

When I was younger I loved to build model airplanes and cars from those boxed kits you can buy in arts and crafts stores.

I've always wanted to try woodworking, I would love to be able to make a nice cabinet or a book shelf for example on my own.

Just for Fun:

Probably the worst bad hair day I had was a few years ago. To make a long story short, I over slept and was late getting to work. In my haste to get to work ASAP I remembered to do everything except wash or even comb my hair. When I arrived at work I looked in my car's rear view mirror and was horrified at how bad my hair looked. I turned a few heads that day, that's for sure!...LOL.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:58 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,127,229 times

Today's Question(s):

So !!!

Ok..Temporary Fairy...just one day where the house stays clean without me having to clean it...

Bonus Question:

the most unusual was the girl that took my order in the drive-thru lane at mcdonalds. She was just weird looking and didn't smile, she was a real joy.

Extra Credit Question:

Are you a "crafty" person ? yeah, i like crafts

What kind of crafts do you like doing ? scrap-booking, i like to make cards, I like to decorate cakes...is that a craft? We've tried needle point and knitting and crocheting...

Just for Fun:

What was your worst,most unusual or funniest "Bad Hair Day" story ? One time I was weeding the garden and the propane truck showed up to switch out our tank...and when I went in the house after they'd left...I saw that there was a big chunk of those stupid burrs in my hair. I did notice him look at my head strangely, but I didn't feel them there...so I just thought he didn't see too many red heads...oh well...

Today in History:
1741 - Alaska was discovered by Danish navigator Vitus Jonas Bering. That’s how the Bering Sea got its name. Learn sumthin new everyday..
1896 - Dial telephone patented my mom still has an olive-green dial telephone in her bedroom...my kids think it's an antique...
1945 - Dodgers Tommy Brown, 17, is youngest player to hit a HR
1965 Rolling Stones release "Satisfaction" (their 1st #1 U.S. hit)I can't get none...
1980 Reinhold Messner of Italy is 1st to solo ascent Mount Everest

Word of the Day:
perorate\PUR-uh-rayt\ , intransitive verb:
1. To conclude or sum up a long discourse.
2. To speak or expound at length; to declaim.

Today is:
Lemonade Day
National Chocolate Pecan Pie Dayto chocolateto pecans
Summer Cool-Off Day
National Radio Day
Bamboo Day
Bad Hair Day[/quote]

Have a nice day all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics