Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 09:24 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times

Advertisements

Gee, F'n whiz, boy! So the world is full of mean people? So what? What do you want? Your own perfect little utopia with someone else to pay for it? Who ever promised you that?

If you were my son, I'd turkey-trot your lazy butt down to the Army recruiter and make sure you get in the Infantry, with orders to Afghanistan.

About a year of that would cure what ails you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 09:28 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Join the Army, Go to Afghanistan, get a whole bunch of Medals and make Dad Proud

Old 09-21-2009, 09:32 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Join the Army, Go to Afghanistan, get a whole bunch of Medals and make Dad Proud

He'd never make it through OSUT. The first time a Drill Sergeant yelled at him, he'd curl up in the fetal position and cry for his Mommy.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:11 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,005,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enamdar View Post
Thomas Jefferson, Aristotle, Socrates all the Greeks, they didn't have to work for a living. Did they become lazy bums? If I were free to work freely. I wouldn't be a couch potato. I would sculpture my body into a work of art. I would tame nature. I would change the course of mighty rivers. I would take part in industry. I would study natural science and philosophy and explore the depths of metaphysics. I would write poetry, paint artwork, sing hymns. Who knows what a free me, would be capable of? So its that I need a chance to do, not freedom to sit on my butt....
Thomas Jefferson was a lawyer. He worked so that he could maintain his place of residence (Monticello, which he went greatly in debt to build) and slaves. He was also a State Legislator, a State Governor, a Congressman, Minister to France, Congressman, Secretary of State, Vice President of the US and President of the US.

Aristotle was a teacher. If he hadn't worked, he would have just been another begger during that time and we probably would have never heard of him.

Socrates' life is unclear whether or not he had a job, some say he was a teacher, some say he inherited his father's stonmasonry business. One thing for sure was he did serve in the Athenian Army.

So you want to be free so you can make art or write poetry? So have you tried to do any of that since you quit your job or are you just sitting on your butt? Those things are things you can do while working. How else are you going to pay for the supplies? How are you going to get published? Are you going to run away and live in the woods? Are you going to live off the land? You have no problems with making your parents support you? What are you going to do when they die? How will you survive then? Your life is what you make of it. If you want to concentrate on the evil things and how pointless life is then that's all you are going to get out of it. It is possible to find a job that you will be happy doing. I might not like my job very much, but without it how would I pay for college so that I can get a degree in what I like and get a job that I like better?

I think you should see a psychiatrist to deal with your issues. It sounds to me that you are very depressed.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:57 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Oh my g-d, I couldn't even get through all that blather. What tripe! What are you, 5? "I didn't ask to be born?" Are you kidding me?

Do the world a favor and eat a big bowl of Get Over Yourself.

Either grow up or get it over with and quit freaking whining.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:59 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times
There are plenty of people who just can not subject themselves to authority,We call these folks street people...A poor decision but yours,,,,and the art stuff you like ,well have you ever seen the sides of a freight train as it goes by? There son is your "canvas"

Old 09-22-2009, 03:23 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
While I'm sure this thread is not worthy of this and it will be lost on the OP, possibly someone else may come along and get something out of it. I also posted this in another thread somewhere.

Recently, my 93-year-old God Mother died. She had lived through several wars, lost her husband 40 years earlier, raised a family and was still working, active in the church and their social causes and deeply involved in her community until the day she died at the age of 93.

What she gave me in life was so invaluable, but what struck me the most was the week prior to her passing she said, "I have no regrets, I've have had good friends, I have loved, I have made a difference and I have lived a good life."

On her death bed, there was no feeling of persecution in her life and she'd been through an awful lot and there was never a mention of money, she lived a modest life, she had loved, but never remarried and I believe she led a very remarkable life and left a legacy of good from every person she ever came in contact with by giving a piece of herself. She never laid in bed and wallowed in self pity and persecution nor did she ever think other people should take care of her...she lived alone in a house, without help, until the day she died

At her funeral, I read the following poem I found which best represented the way she subscribed to living her life and if you are looking for philosophical representation about the good in life and others - it is a CHOICE and you will find it if you CHOOSE to. Only your own actions can change the way the world is for you The most applicable line for this post is that of the helping hand.

Time Tested Beauty Tips
By: Sam Levenson

For attractive lips,
speak only words of kindness. 

For lovely eyes,
see only the good in people. 

For a slim figure,
share your food with the hungry.

For beautiful hair,
let a child run his or her fingers through it once a day. 

For poise,
walk with the knowledge you never walk alone ... 

Remember, if you ever need a helping hand,
you'll find one at the end of your arm.

In time, you will discover, you have two hands.
One, for helping yourself, one, for helping others.

Always remember people,
even more than things,
have to be restored, renewed, revived,
reclaimed and redeemed, redeemed and redeemed.
Never throw anyone away.

Last edited by Thursday007; 09-22-2009 at 03:50 AM..

Old 09-22-2009, 05:49 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enamdar View Post
How would seeing that the world is WORSE than I imagine, change my pessimistic views?
Everything in life is relative, I would think that a little privation might help you to appreciate what you have.

Honestly, there are SO many life experiences that you haven't felt at your age that you honestly don't have a good reference. Think on this point.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:25 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
First off this has to be a troll. No way this guy is legit. Secondly. If by chance it is real he should have thrown your ass out a long time ago.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:34 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,922,445 times
OP, I feel like giving you a dollar and some change in that cup you're holding when you're rambling on about conspiracy theories, philosophy and Jesus while you're sitting on a sidewalk with your belongings.

It's a break from that tone-deaf "musician" down the road singing Michael Jackson songs wanting people to throw him some coins for his performance.

See even he has to work for his money. If you want to get paid to talk about things, I'd just give you a mic and a camera, but even then you have to attract audiences for ratings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics