Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 07:18 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,752,436 times

Advertisements

I know a couple of people who were assaulted and never reported it and it has deeply scarred them for life. What a sick society we live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 07:47 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,254,634 times
I think many times the circumstances are such that women allow themselves to unwittingly get "into harms way" and just doesn't want the hassle of trying to prove anything in court. The assaults come from someone they just met recently and they know that the man will claim it was consensual. Without bruises and obvious battering, it would be difficult to prove otherwise.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:12 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,989,620 times
It reflects on our society and those of us who continue to tolerate these types of crimes! Furthermore we have appointed and elected officials that fail to control, take action, and help mold our society in the way we want. The criminals are not always the “only” bad people we have around us. I don’t understand why we continue to tolerate this!

Old 03-17-2010, 11:03 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,060,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I think many times the circumstances are such that women allow themselves to unwittingly get "into harms way" and just doesn't want the hassle of trying to prove anything in court. The assaults come from someone they just met recently and they know that the man will claim it was consensual. Without bruises and obvious battering, it would be difficult to prove otherwise.
The problem with that is they are letting someone get away with attacking them - and allowing him the freedom to attack others.

Even if it can't be proven in court that what the woman said is true, it should be on record - because the next time it happens, and it will, there will be an established history/pattern.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:07 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,065,448 times
I didn't know the stats on this, but it really doesn't surprise me. I know a woman that was sexually assaulted by her mom's boyfriend when she was a teenager and she never reported it. Like some of the others said above, the scars from that experience can last a lifetime. It's really sad.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:26 PM

54,505 posts, read 33,948,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Guy View Post
Did you know... About 60% of sexual assaults are not reported to the police?
I've never even been sexually harrassed, so I got nothing to report..

All humor aside, there is nothing funny about sexual assaults and it's unfortunate that most such assaults do not get reported. In many cases it's probably more hassles to report such incidents, and file charges against the person who sexually assaulted the woman.

As far as I'm concerned, when a woman says no, she means NO, and the guy should respect that and back away from making any more advances.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:22 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,618,179 times
Having never had the terrible experience of being assaulted, I cannot imagine the horror. But I can imagine the shame that some victims are made to feel. As if they must have done something to encourage, lead on, etc. the perpetrator. And then have to get into a courtroom setting and have to describe the unwanted attack to strangers. Talk about exposing oneself.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:17 PM

43,851 posts, read 51,437,706 times
I think many times it has to do with a Date Rape type scenario where women absorb the blame. It is amazing to me the stories I have heard from women online or coworkers through the years of a variety of assaults that have happened to them and was never reported or dealt with.

I have a temper....I would beat the crap out of some guy....but some women are just caught blind sighted and feel like it is their fault for being in the wrong place with the wrong guy.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:20 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,370,781 times
Sadly, I am not surprised...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics