Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 08:05 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Sorry to hear about the difficult issues with your mother, flute.

I hope you feel better about each other before she passes. Sounds like your brother may need some healing as well. I wish good things for him.
Thanks.. but there is nothing to feel.. unfortunately. She was diagnosed with some major metal problems.. so she pretty much stays to herself. She doesn't like people and hides in her home. She also has several different voices, talks to herself..etc. My brother is a complete computer information brain and designs computer programs for companies for the most part.. we had to detach a long time ago. There is really nothing to attach there but I still try, but the results are always the same. A total void.

Also, this is a painting by Daniel Monroe

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 05-15-2014 at 08:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 11:10 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post

I understand, I think. I'm an agnostic theist who tends towards a panENtheistic view of things, and in a [pragmatic] belief in a God who is love. So, not the same as you, but perhaps not so completely different either?
We are pretty much on the same page. Under the 'names' given for the different thieistnesses ...
I am closest to Panentheism/Animism. When specifically asked...'what is your religion' (which I do not have) I reply, "LOVE". 'Love is my religion' comes from Ziggy Marley. He has some wonderful spiritual lyrics....and I have a bumper sticker that says, 'LOVE is our SOUL Purpose'...It's what I believe, and I love a good play on words. Those two simple sayings express my faith and path, my being, my purpose.

I have a desire to find things that might help me to connect with that Undefinable Something that we seem to be a part of, mainly because it seems to me that a connection with the source of love should be transforming. The curious side of me is willing to experiment ... the pragmatic part of me wants to get as much information as possible first.

Are there any online sources for teaching oneself to use tarot cards as a tool towards spiritual connection and growth that you could recommend?

While I knew I had some psychic ability, what really woke it up for me was tarot. If you are into symbolism and imagery and can make up a story based on a picture- as is said, a picture is worth 1,000 words, then tarot may be a big help to you as well. And it would not matter what your strongest
clair-ability is. But tarot works great for those who are strongly claircognizant.

I would be happy to help you learn tarot. Funny, I was thinking earlier today to start a fun study discussion dedicated to utilizing and practicing reading the cards. I suppose I should do that

For the attitude aspect, ego is a killer. We cannot allow our opinions and perceptions of things to cloud our understanding of the impression we get. We must be neutral in where we stand with judgements. It is also about feeling. This goes along with ego. It is too easy for some people to take another persons situation and become emotionally involved. Feelings as well resurface when remembering something of the past. It happened in the past, you dealt with those emotions then, no need to relive it. Neutrality is really key. The other thing is being genuine in your assistance for others. Do it because you know everyone deserves to be happy and needs help now and then- don't do it for the validation that it gives you. However, when validation comes from others, be humble. You can feel good about it, allow it to give you warmth, but do not have that be the reason why you do it.
Set aside logic. You can play with logic later. Impressions come in all kinds of odd ways, trust your first impressions and do not second guess. Be an observant sponge and just soak everything in and don't try and make sense of it in that moment.
This goes for our everyday attitude as well as when we are doing a reading/connecting with the psychic within.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:52 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I grew up in a Christian/Jewish household. I always had my gifts even if I wasn't totally aware of them. I remember as a teen, I was very interest in the Tarot cards. (That was when I got my first deck). It wasn't until I was in my 30s when I realized that I was a witch-it was basically an AHA moment.

My mother, (a died-heart Episcopalian) had E.S.P.-that is where I get mine from. She hated it because it usually told her when something bad was going to happen. My usually tells me small benign things-like who is calling before caller I.D. I would freak people out when they call and I just KNEW it was them so I would answer the phone, "Hello _____." They would always ask me how I knew it was them. I said, "I recognized your ring."

To me, my gifts are just a part of who I am-and they were always.

Cat
Thanks Cat. I'd like to ask you and Owl the same follow-up question, please. What is the main purpose of the tarot cards for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute
I was raised Lutheran by the way.
So was I ... in one of the more conservative synods.

Last edited by Pleroo; 05-18-2014 at 09:11 AM..

Old 05-18-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
We are pretty much on the same page. Under the 'names' given for the different thieistnesses ...
I am closest to Panentheism/Animism. When specifically asked...'what is your religion' (which I do not have) I reply, "LOVE". 'Love is my religion' comes from Ziggy Marley. He has some wonderful spiritual lyrics....and I have a bumper sticker that says, 'LOVE is our SOUL Purpose'...It's what I believe, and I love a good play on words. Those two simple sayings express my faith and path, my being, my purpose.
As I see it, also.

Quote:
While I knew I had some psychic ability, what really woke it up for me was tarot. If you are into symbolism and imagery and can make up a story based on a picture- as is said, a picture is worth 1,000 words, then tarot may be a big help to you as well. And it would not matter what your strongest
clair-ability is. But tarot works great for those who are strongly claircognizant.
I'm not a visual person, nor a natural story teller. I used to enjoy when I would notice patterns and connections and symbolism in the bible that seemed to have spiritual significance, so, I don't really know if that's similar or not.

Quote:
I would be happy to help you learn tarot. Funny, I was thinking earlier today to start a fun study discussion dedicated to utilizing and practicing reading the cards. I suppose I should do that
Your thread looks really interesting and you are so thoughtful to be willing to do that! I don't have a tarot deck so I checked online to see what they look like. The midieval images that seem to be the norm didn't "speak" to me. I don't know what that means. Perhaps just a somewhat subconscious bias from my upbringing? I'm continuing to look for something that I might be more in tune with.

Quote:
For the attitude aspect, ego is a killer. We cannot allow our opinions and perceptions of things to cloud our understanding of the impression we get. We must be neutral in where we stand with judgements. It is also about feeling. This goes along with ego. It is too easy for some people to take another persons situation and become emotionally involved. Feelings as well resurface when remembering something of the past. It happened in the past, you dealt with those emotions then, no need to relive it. Neutrality is really key. The other thing is being genuine in your assistance for others. Do it because you know everyone deserves to be happy and needs help now and then- don't do it for the validation that it gives you. However, when validation comes from others, be humble. You can feel good about it, allow it to give you warmth, but do not have that be the reason why you do it.
Set aside logic. You can play with logic later. Impressions come in all kinds of odd ways, trust your first impressions and do not second guess. Be an observant sponge and just soak everything in and don't try and make sense of it in that moment.
This goes for our everyday attitude as well as when we are doing a reading/connecting with the psychic within.
To be honest, I hadn't at all considered using this for other people. My motivation is purely selfish, I guess -- a desire to see if it would help me become a little less ... prosaic?

Old 05-18-2014, 10:03 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Although far from an expert (I read only for myself) I became interested in Tarot a few years ago and have accumulated several decks. The classic Rider-Waite deck is probably in most Tarot readers' collections but it's not the one I refer to most often.

There are many dozens, probably hundreds of different decks out there - just search Amazon to get an idea.

The two I tend to refer to most often are the Robin Wood Tarot and the Native American Tarot by Magda Weck Gonzalez. The symbolism and commentary in those two resonate with me more than other decks.

I have my eye on a couple of other decks as well. I can well understand why some folks collect a bunch. It's interesting to see some of the classic archetypes viewed from various perspectives and the artwork is sometimes stunning.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:35 AM

Pleroo-
If you found connections and patterns in the bible, you can find them anywhere.
The medieval imagery you found is likely from the Rider deck TD mentioned. It is the 'original' tarot made for divination.
I own over 50 decks and the Rider is NOT one of them. I do not connect with the images, or rather the art style to be more specific. And again, like TD mentioned, there are hundreds if not 1,000s of decks in publication. What do you like? Cats? Fairies? Angels? Take your pick, there is a deck that will have a theme and art that you like.

Developing your abilities to help yourself is not a bad thing. It's when using it for others that you want to keep your ego in check. However, I get better 'results' for others than myself. Any impression I get that pertains to me just comes without focus. But when I read for others, I have to 'plug in' intentionally. Either way, developing this ability or not, at least work on being nuetral in your approach to life. That will keep you from making snap judgments and having knee-jerk reactions.

TD- the Native American deck was my very first deck and holds a special place within my heart. I have 'retired' the deck due to the situations of the last few times I read with it.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:47 AM

Thank you Trout & Owl. I did look at Amazon and found a few decks that appeal to me. One I'm particularly drawn to is called "Inner Child Cards: A Fair-Tale Tarot". Love me some fairy tales. It's on the expensive side, and there's a another book that is suggested to go with them, so I might have to hold off purchasing for just a bit. I'll jump in on your tarot thread when I've got them, Owl.

Thanks again, and sorry for monopolizing your thread. You're very nice to visitors here.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
I have a question: I live in an extremely conservative, predominately Christian, area. The tarot cards for sale at the local Barnes and Noble (which is in an upscale shopping area) are kept under lock and key. It's the only thing they lock up. (Think buying spray paint where you have to track down the person with the key.)

Is it because of the cost? Are they collect-able? Too many people using the five fingered discount on a small item? I've wondered if they're locked up so the people who go when they see tarot cards don't trash them.

Any ideas? I know nothing about tarot cards. (Though I've learned a few interesting things on this thread.) It's just something I've noticed while browsing in that part of the store.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-18-2014 at 12:28 PM..

Old 05-18-2014, 12:30 PM

Pleroo- I have the Inner Child deck as well. Very cute deck and if you know your tales, then you have an advantage in understanding the individual meanings. This is a deck where you would want the companion book. Be careful with Amazon. It can be confusing. They do not always specifically express that the book comes with and has a high price for what seemed to be just the deck but it's actually the set.
You can also try Tarot Garden.

As for B&N-
I can't say for sure, but having worked a retail floor like a bookstore, thier cost and size is subject to getting lifted.
I have seen them under lock and key for just decks that are too easy to put into a pocket, but the deck and book sets in a box are on the table.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:38 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Strikes me as strange, Dew. Perhaps it's to deter theft. Or, if the locals are that conservative, maybe it's to deter sales.

And were you joking about spray paint being kept locked away? Never seen that. The only stuff behind locked glass doors hereabouts are ammunition and some knives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism