Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 07:10 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,646,498 times

Advertisements

my faves of your commandments are #6, 8, 10.

is number 6 the one that says "do what YOU believe to be right"?

if it is then i think a lot of bible believers would have a big problem with that one in particular because it seems to me (this is just my observation) that bible believers do not want to think for themselves. they want the bible to tell them how to act, what to think, how to live. it almost seems like a strange kind of cop-out (this is just my thought-i could be totally wrong. i probably am!) and ends up that they are actually NOT taking responsibility for their own lives or actions (that is #10 yes?)

just my idea/opinion. dont want to upset anyone. really, i dont. i have had many questions regarding religion lately and these thoughts of mine have occured because of city data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 07:12 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
I love the ideas of shamanism. unfortunately many people just look into it as an excuse to smoke salvia, dream herb and sun opener.....

but unfortunately, Shamanism probably isn't going to go far, especially in the red states... it's a shame too.
What is salvia, dream herb, and sun opener?

Shamansism is NOT SUPPOSED to go far, the OP is NOT pushing for its acceptance *(like that's going to happen in the world of organized religion, nor trying to convert anyone to it. God forbid.

Cleatis, I would say if you would enjoy meeting a shaman, you might look into Native American Church. There are chapters all over the US and Canada.
But you won't find them listed in the Yellow Pages.

NAC meetings are simply prayer meetings and sometimes a healer is called for.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:34 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,646,498 times
salvia? i think i have some of that growing in my back yard.
beautiful blooms of pink and purple.
didnt know i could smoke it though.
not much of a smoker am i but i love to cook!
i am getting ready to smoke some sausage!

Old 01-05-2008, 11:18 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,659,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
my faves of your commandments are #6, 8, 10.

is number 6 the one that says "do what YOU believe to be right"?

if it is then i think a lot of bible believers would have a big problem with that one in particular because it seems to me (this is just my observation) that bible believers do not want to think for themselves. they want the bible to tell them how to act, what to think, how to live. it almost seems like a strange kind of cop-out (this is just my thought-i could be totally wrong. i probably am!) and ends up that they are actually NOT taking responsibility for their own lives or actions (that is #10 yes?)

just my idea/opinion. dont want to upset anyone. really, i dont. i have had many questions regarding religion lately and these thoughts of mine have occured because of city data.
Nico, you are correct unfortunately, in our culture we do not subscribe to any holy writings, it is a way of life with us, we live our culture and our beliefs every day and we need no holy writings to tell us how we should live, our elders teach us this from childhood, and in our eyes, how can you not help but take responsibility for your actions, I do believe that this is the problem that religions have, they want you to live according to the way that they tell you to live, not teach you, and by doing that, it is opened to all different kinds of interpretations, some good, some not so good, all depends on who is interpreting it. Our culture allows us to think for ourselves, to use that which was given to us by our Creator, otherwise why would he have given it to us, my Creator does not limit me on what I can think and not think, that is the beauty of this and that also is where organized religions have a problem with our culture. Good question, osay

Last edited by ptsum; 01-05-2008 at 11:29 AM..

Old 01-05-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I love the ideas of shamanism. unfortunately many people just look into it as an excuse to smoke salvia, dream herb and sun opener.....

but unfortunately, Shamanism probably isn't going to go far, especially in the red states... it's a shame too.
Yes it is a shame, but a true shaman does not need the hallucinogenic herbs and as my brother Redbird said, there is information out there, only make sure that the information that you are getting is from a true shaman and not someone who is merely trying to sell you a service or want you to buy something from them, a true shaman never asks for anything in return for what he does, it is considered a gift from the creator and it is his duty to pass this gift on to help and enlighten others, this is what we do... osay

Last edited by ptsum; 01-05-2008 at 12:27 PM..

Old 01-05-2008, 11:34 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Ptsum and redbird, this kind of discussion is what I like..Learning and finding out that we are really not so different..Is shamanism still widly practiced, and believed in among the native Americans, or has it pretty much been destroyed by well meaning missionaries?

Old 01-05-2008, 11:41 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I'm probably going to open myself up to great criticism from all organized religions whether it be Christian, Jew, Islam, or any one of the other organized religions out there, but so be it, I am not asking for converts, this is not what we do, it is merely to try to educate and enlighten you of the ways of Spiritual Shamanism, and nothing more. I will first start off by putting our Native American Commandments here:

1) Treat the Earth and all that dwell thereon with respect.

2) Remain close to the Great Spirit.

3) Show great respect for your fellow beings.

4) Worked together for the benefit of all Mankind.

5) Give assistance and kindness whenever needed.

6) Do what you know to be right.

7) Look after the well being of mind and body.

8) Dedicate a share of your efforts to the greater good.

9) Be truthful and honest at all times.

10) Take full responsibility for your actions.

This is the way of my people, this is our culture, and this is just the beginning of understanding, so come and join us if you care, we'll be happy to talk with you, but come with an open mind and an open heart. osay
Whenever you put yourself out there, be it writing a book, making a movie, painting a picture, or sharing your beliefs...you will open yourself up to criticism because people fear anything above or beyond their conception of what life should be....I'm a great fan of yours...and I don't believe there are better words to live your life by and, to boot, these words cannot be misinterripted....

Thanks so much for sharing...

Hugs and wishing you and yours
much love
Creme

Old 01-05-2008, 11:43 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:

and there are those who claim to be devot Christains who molest children, and use Christianity for personal gains....power, money, and to tell people how they should live....

man is simply that, man, not a God and they certainly have and do and always will make their share of mistakes.....man also exhaugerates stories to fit his own person needs and weaknesses....clearly there is no man on this earth that is akin to any God or should be bowed down to....no man is a God...but some men do possess a higher wisdom/perception/power, then others...some men possess it and are not aware of it...we only use, what, 1/4 of our brains, and some even less than that??????

Old 01-05-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Ptsum and redbird, this kind of discussion is what I like..Learning and finding out that we are really not so different..Is shamanism still widly practiced, and believed in among the native Americans, or has it pretty much been destroyed by well meaning missionaries?
It is still widely used among our cultures, as my brother Redbird said, his people have used it and still use it today, and my culture is the same way, in the past it has tried to be suppressed unfortunately because of misunderstanding, we all have the same creator by whatever name you wish to call him, and we all worship him in different ways, there is no wrong way and there is no singular right way, there is just belief, and that is what our culture has taught us, we are all the same, we are all brothers and sisters of the same universe. osay

Old 01-05-2008, 12:06 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
There is a whole smorgasborg of plants all around us, that we modern humans kind of forgot. We are so removed from mother nature and we all too often let our technological wonders suffice for our needs.

Creator put all these plants here for our use. And after living on this Turtle Island for countless generations, the Native Peoples learned to take full advantage of the plants at hand.

Remedies for coughs, diahrrea, cramps, fever, headaches are all at our doorstep. At least if you live rurally. We simply just don't know it.

I used to have a friend who owned an antique bookstore and found a book that was written in 1908 called The Economic Botany of the Kiowas. I was truly amazed at the uses for the simplest plants.

Shamans are not all hocus pocus. They are revered for their knowledge of plants as well as their place as go between this world and the spirit world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism