Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 07:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
Could it be possible that she was just supporting his dream even though that meant she would be without her husband for the first three years of their child's life, and while important she didn't want that to stop him from living his dream? No instead he is just a selfish bas^$#d for being away from his child for the first three years of the child's life.

Quote:
What I missed was where I apparently said it was her fault. If you can point that out to me that would be much appreciated.
you basically said it was ok because the wife was part of the decision. My point is that the husband should never have asked to continue the voyage, and the wife should never have agreed to it. Somewhat equal fault, only HE is the one who actually did it. That makes him more responsible IMO. In my OP I mentioned them both. I didn't blame him entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 09:17 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Quote:
I agree with you 100%. That said what if he was "saving the world". Is that a good enough excuse to miss the first three years of your child's life? Outside of military duty I think its important for both parent's to be there for their children as much as possible. The only thing I differ on here is condemning the couple here because of the decision they made, and I (IMO) have no right to judge another parent's decisions. Bottom line I don't like when its done to me, so I won't do it to anyone else.
Good point; I don't know that it would have been acceptable if he was "saving the world," but if he were doing something totally selfless that would make a huge impact on the lives of a lot of people, then at least it would be a tougher moral dilemma. Right now I don't see how anyone benefits. I can easily imagine that a typical (or at least typical of the fathers I know) would realize, maybe in this case belatedly, just how much time and how many milestones had been missed and would later regret making the decision to continue.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:34 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,025,220 times
Selfish

Old 06-21-2010, 10:41 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Longest sea voyage in history (http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/longest-sea-voyage-in-history-20392241 - broken link)

Here is a different kind of sailing around the world story. This guy is a dad who missed the birth and first 2 years of his kid's life. What kind of person has their priorities out of order like this? And what about the mother who apparently waited around for him to finish his voyage while being a single mom?
Sounds like a man who never wanted kids to begin with but was talked into them (or oopsed into them).

Something tells me that he never pretended it would be any other way. You buy a chicken, it's not going to taste like hamburger. IYKWIM.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-21-2010, 11:48 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I think the age difference says it all. He's 55. She's 23. She wanted a baby, he had a trophy wife. (I bet he has more than one previous wife, grown kids and maybe grandkids). The trophy price was for her to have a baby. He escaped the whole thing with this adventure.
Sounds like they deserve each other.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:27 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,569 times
Who cares? It is their choice. The child looks taken care of and loved. It is the father who is missing out. Not a choice I would make, but lol, I can't see having the luxury of not working for three years either.

It is the parents who are going to have to answer to the son one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting