Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 11:39 AM

13,421 posts, read 9,950,386 times

Advertisements

I also wish dentists would get on the same page about early visits for toddlers. I was seeing my dentist just before she turned one and I asked him if I should make an appointment for her around her first birthday. They practically laughed me out of the office and said there was no need for her to have a visit until she turned 3. They said there was no one in our (rural) area that would even see her before then. I should never have listened to them. Uggh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 11:57 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,903,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I also wish dentists would get on the same page about early visits for toddlers. I was seeing my dentist just before she turned one and I asked him if I should make an appointment for her around her first birthday. They practically laughed me out of the office and said there was no need for her to have a visit until she turned 3. They said there was no one in our (rural) area that would even see her before then. I should never have listened to them. Uggh.

You keep hearing that kids should have their first dental visit by age 1 but then you get that reaction unless you specifically contact a pediatric dentist.

This thread has affirmed my decision to seek out a pediatric dentist when we move even if it means I see a different dentist from my children.

Where we lived previous to this location, my kids' pediatric dentist saw me as well, but he was in business with his wife who saw adults only on the other side of the office, so even if he did not see me, I could have gone to her and all of us would have still been in the same office. I hope I can find something like this in a couple months after we are moved in.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:07 PM

17,376 posts, read 16,518,282 times
IMHO, I just think that some kids are more cavity prone than other kids. Some kids are blessed with strong baby teeth. Some kids have softer enamel and have a much tougher time of it - their teeth simply crack/chip/decay easily.

I've got one kid with perfect baby teeth/no cavities and one kid who has had his fair share of dental problems, metal caps included. They've had regular dental checkups since they were 2 years old.

We're not economically disadvantaged, although we're not rich either. But I would imagine that rich people have the same sort of problems with their children's baby teeth, they can just afford (and are willing to pay for) less obvious and more cosmetically appealing fixes than those sturdy metal caps.

Last edited by springfieldva; 07-09-2010 at 12:18 PM..

Old 07-09-2010, 12:15 PM

13,421 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post

You keep hearing that kids should have their first dental visit by age 1 but then you get that reaction unless you specifically contact a pediatric dentist.
Yeah, what's up with that? They looked at me as if I was asking them to book her a seat on the space shuttle so she could get a moon landing in before she started preschool.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:01 PM

171 posts, read 444,460 times
One of my sisters had to take medicine while pregnant that effected my nephew's teeth.

Also, please remember that some people really are more cavity prone than others. For example? I'm almost 40 and have had 2 very small cavities in my entire life. Now I do have strong teeth, but I'm also very conscientious about dental hygiene. This extended to my son, whose teeth I brushed and flossed religiously. No sugary foods. No extended bottle or sippy cup use. Maybe the odd raisn here and there, but nothing crazy. LOL. He still ended up with 4 cavities at the age of 4. I paid out of pocket for the ceramic fillings since I didn't want him to be embarrassed. I was horrified.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:02 PM

56 posts, read 236,650 times
I had tons of silver caps on my teeth when before my adult teeth came in! My Mother probably thought I was doing a good job brushing my teeth when I wasn't..
My Mother took excellent care of her teeth though but she still ended up getting gum disease.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:16 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
IMHO, I just think that some kids are more cavity prone than other kids. Some kids are blessed with strong baby teeth. Some kids have softer enamel and have a much tougher time of it - their teeth simply crack/chip/decay easily.

I've got one kid with perfect baby teeth/no cavities and one kid who has had his fair share of dental problems, metal caps included. They've had regular dental checkups since they were 2 years old.

We're not economically disadvantaged, although we're not rich either. But I would imagine that rich people have the same sort of problems with their children's baby teeth, they can just afford (and are willing to pay for) less obvious and more cosmetically appealing fixes than those sturdy metal caps.
I'm totally convinced "good teeth" are the luck of the genetic draw. Finally found a dentist who agreed with me and it erased years of guilt.

Sometimes no amount of flossing, brushing, not eating licorice, minty mouthwash, whatever, can take the place of being first in line when they were passing out the pearly whites. Add onto that medications taken during pregnancy, medications taken when a toddler, teeth chipped in play, big teeth in a small jaw, and a thousand other problems and some people are just going to have higher dental bills than others.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:43 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I just want to add that if you do not have flouride in your water, you should see that your children get flouride treatments.
I was always getting cavities as a child, despite good dental care, but my own children never had a single cavity because of the flouride in our water.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:19 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,361 times
I am resurrecting this old thread:

Currently toddler X has his first pediatric dentist appointment to determine whether or not will need caps or some other form of cavity filling. I am literally crapping bricks over it although I personally am not afraid of the dentist but I just find him to be too young. He visited our dentist who said it was most likely from the nighttime nursing, when he was in the womb I had to take antibotics, when he got sick and ended up in PICU at 3 weeks and a fall last year in which he smacked his growing front teeth on the floor. He said the accumulation of all these things led to the downfall of his teeth. When he was a baby I cleaned his gums with a wet rag and as his teeth came in I used the pediatric toothbrush and toothpaste.

How do you parents who have had a similar problem cope with the after effects? How did the visits go and the capping? Were you afraid of the anthesia? What did you go through during the visits?

Any information would be much obliged and a massive thank you!

Old 06-07-2011, 06:46 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Here is my personal experience.

My son had a dental exam at about 4 years old. No x-rays were taken. We were told all was fine. We never ever put him to bed with a bottle. We brushed his teeth 2/day. We diluted his apple juice. We didn't go overboard with the candy.

About 9 months later we took him for his 2nd exam. Again I was told all was fine. I am the one who pointed out a little brown spot on a tooth. Only then were x-rays taken and it was discovered that he had 14 cavities! I was stunned! If I hadn't been the one to mention it, it would have gone undetected for who knows how much longer. Apparently he has "soft enamel".

Anyway, he needed so much work, he had to be put under general anesthesia. The first dentist wanted to cap or pull all 4 of his top front teeth! I said no way and found another dentist who agreed to leave them alone. 2 of them have now fallen out on their own.

So he has 2 silver crowns on top back teeth. They are visible when he smiles big. I never even found out if we had decided to cap the front teeth if they would have been white or silver. I have had nightmares about him waking up from his dental work with 4 silver front teeth.

I hope no one does this because they think it looks cool. I think there is a medical reason for it. I'm just glad we didn't end up having to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
I am resurrecting this old thread:

Currently toddler X has his first pediatric dentist appointment to determine whether or not will need caps or some other form of cavity filling. I am literally crapping bricks over it although I personally am not afraid of the dentist but I just find him to be too young. He visited our dentist who said it was most likely from the nighttime nursing, when he was in the womb I had to take antibotics, when he got sick and ended up in PICU at 3 weeks and a fall last year in which he smacked his growing front teeth on the floor. He said the accumulation of all these things led to the downfall of his teeth. When he was a baby I cleaned his gums with a wet rag and as his teeth came in I used the pediatric toothbrush and toothpaste.

How do you parents who have had a similar problem cope with the after effects? How did the visits go and the capping? Were you afraid of the anthesia? What did you go through during the visits?

Any information would be much obliged and a massive thank you!
I quoted my story above. I thought we were doing everything right, and look at the problems we ended up with. DS had issues in the womb, and I really think his enamel didn't develop completely.

Right after the procedure his gums were pretty red and swollen. He has never been bothered by the silver caps. you can see them when he smiles big. Anesthesia always makes me nervous. It was hard to watch him try to wake up out of it. I was freaking out before hand, too, but everything went fine. (((hugs)))

ETA at this time he still has only lost 2 of the 4 top front teeth they wanted to pull. So he still has 2 open cavities in his mouth. Thankfully those 2 are loose now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting