Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 03:35 PM

830 posts, read 2,712,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
No...not everything...but cows are usually raised on farms where they get routine vet attention and injections / vaccines as necessary. They eat green grass / straw and drink fresh pond water.
You seriously think this is the case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 03:59 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
but at the time she made the choice that was right for her. I just wanted to put it out there that there are formulas that provide everything needed that are not dairy or soy based.
I am making the choices that are right for my family which also include choices that are convenient or not convenient for me. This goes for all members of my family. The phrase - "I did what works for my family" is often used in families where babies wean early. I am saying that NOT weaning early works for my family.

I choose not to give my daughter processed milk, i.e. formula. Here is some information regarding breastfeeding past 1 year.

kellymom.com :: Extended Breastfeeding Fact Sheet

Last edited by crisan; 07-02-2010 at 04:40 PM..

Old 07-02-2010, 04:14 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,757 times
Sadly this kind of abuse is more common than most people realize. Some cows never go outside and they eat corn instead of grass.
'MILK PRODUCING MACHINES': Shocking abuse of dairy cows on tape | WHAS11 Louisville, Kentucky and Indiana News | Top Stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
No...not everything...but cows are usually raised on farms where they get routine vet attention and injections / vaccines as necessary. They eat green grass / straw and drink fresh pond water. We don't really know if a woman has grown up with routine doctor visits, inoculations, etc. We don't know her eating patterns either. So...yeah...we may know more about that cow than we do that woman.

Moo!

Old 07-02-2010, 05:06 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
Quote:
...and blood banks screen blood before giving it to people, but issues still happen. I admit it is very remote and is certainly a chance I would take if my baby HAD to have breastmilk as there was no other choice. I would, however, choose formula over banked breast milk even if it was available and my child didn't need to have it for reasons I already listed.
Blood banks do not run blood tests on the donors testing for disease. They ask screening questions only. The milk banks ask screening questions, confirm the answers with the donor's doctor, run blood tests, pasteurize the milk and test the milk to see if there is bacteria in it. Very different screening process for milk and blood.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:07 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
Quote:
They do have several formulas that can work even with dairy and milk allergies. When my son switched from breastfeeding (my wife went back to work) he had issues tolerating regular formula. Soy was the same story. He ended up on Neutramagin which is a hypo-allergenic formula that does not contain dairy or soy, I believe it is amino acid based.
The hypo-allergenic formula's are very expensive. My dd is intolerant to both dairy and soy. Having to buy hypo-allergenic formula would have been a real financial strain on us. I'm glad that I was able to breastfeed.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:14 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I have said it once and I will say it again. The thought of being pregnant creeps me out. My mom thinks it too!

I don't think it is creepy but totally scientifically alien perhaps. When they move inside you and you can see a hand wiggling around through your skin a scene from aliens always pops into my head. It feels crazy but in a happy blessed sort of way. It's like magic, this whole something from nothing is magical.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:03 PM

860 posts, read 2,716,591 times
I breastfed my 4 children from the ages of 1-2. I was a member of La Leche League, it was a great experience but I love being a mom, my body and was not raised with crazy hang ups.

Its been 4 years since I breastfed, here are my thoughts...

1. over zealous moms who care more about their politics than their babies social development make it harder for the rest of us. This includes nursing in public with no efforts to be modest, nursing a 4 year old in Modern culture, and letting the boobies fly braless in frumpy flap-happy outfits.

2. my boobs are smaller (C not D) but still firm and quite frankly nice due to proper bras. did not ruin my love life.to the contrary.

If I weren't a lady I would post pix, but I am.
I really wish that the band of die hard militant moms had not become the face of breastfeeding. There are many feminine, discreet, attractive women who have a highly developed sense of their own womanhood who are quietly nursing their babies through their entire infancy and they have never remotely resembled a cow or forced people to be aware of their choices by letting it all hang out.

Those militant women have unknowingly created the glamourous bottlefeeding mentality, showcasing the self absorbed and sexually immature woman as the alternative to nursing ,the mom to emulate. If a woman can't or won't breastfeed she should be supported in her choices- there should be no war of bottle VS boob.

But women are competitive in their domestic arenas and make up for their feelings of inadequacy by attacking as unattractive and loathsome the most high place that women have always been revered for-fertility goddess. Slamming women who can successfully express their feminine nature in every aspect makes them feel more secure, I guess.

Oh. and my stomach looks pretty good too, nothing pulls the muscles back in place like frequent nursing.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:35 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times
There is middle ground on these issues. I so am not into those nursing nazi's. You know, those crazy people who shoot you the evil eye when you bottle feed. And whip out there boob without trying to be discreet. I know what a screaming hungry baby is like and yet you can still take it out of the public eye. I didn't breastfeed in the BATHROOM at the Seattle CHILDREN'S MUSEUM who had the lamest nursing room that was full of FAMILIES instead of mothers nursing...that there was literally no room for me and my child and we had to go into the bathroom. He actually didn't care. I didn't bottle feed at all with my second. BUT HOW DARE anyone tell anyone else what to do with their kid. We have no idea why some women are not breast feeding and assuming it is because they are uptight or don't want it so asinine. Some women CANNOT breastfeed. Whether it be medications that they take that interfere with the baby, or latching problems, or whatever, no one should judge others on what they decide. We don't know what is really going on. So to assume it is something superficial is presumptuous.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:01 PM

860 posts, read 2,716,591 times
So true Taboo. At a traditional church I attended for many years( while nursing), there was no designated area to nurse. I asked. No cry room. Most of resigned ourselves to nursing in the bathroom stalls, thats right, in the stalls. A small moms room should have been placed in the ladies room' like at a department store. And Catholics are encouraged to natural family planning , which breastfeeding with little to no supplementation is VERY important to.

One mom nursed her older baby through the entire mass, right up front, facing the priest. Neccessary? I am not so sure. But a new baby will need fed if you are at church 1 1/2 hrs and are not using bottles yet. As you said, there is often not a middle ground.

When women shoot evil eyes at others who are trying to nurse discreetly, or when they make a spectacle of themselves nursing just to make a point, there is no winner. Its the little babies who loose.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:13 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4july View Post
So true Taboo. At a traditional church I attended for many years( while nursing), there was no designated area to nurse. I asked. No cry room. Most of resigned ourselves to nursing in the bathroom stalls, thats right, in the stalls. A small moms room should have been placed in the ladies room' like at a department store. And Catholics are encouraged to natural family planning , which breastfeeding with little to no supplementation is VERY important to.

One mom nursed her older baby through the entire mass, right up front, facing the priest. Neccessary? I am not so sure. But a new baby will need fed if you are at church 1 1/2 hrs and are not using bottles yet. As you said, there is often not a middle ground.

When women shoot evil eyes at others who are trying to nurse discreetly, or when they make a spectacle of themselves nursing just to make a point, there is no winner. Its the little babies who loose.
I heard a story once from a woman about nursing in church. She said that she would sit in the back of the church, close to the door in case the baby started crying and she had to get up and walk out for a minute. She would nurse in church and though she felt like she was discreet, there was a particular woman who gave her the evil eye. This other woman didn't complain directly to her, but apparently complained to the minister/priest/whatever (I don't remember). The next week, there was a beautiful painting of Mary nursing Jesus right near the door, right where the nursing mom usually sat. The minister came to her before the service, pointed out the painting, and told her that nursing was beautiful and the way God gave mothers to nurture their babies, and that it was always welcome in his church. After getting the evil eye from the other woman and feeling somewhat uncomfortable in the church, now the mother felt great about nursing and welcome in the church. I don't remember all the details exactly because it's been several years since I heard that story, but I've always thought about how supportive that minister was for that mother nursing in church. I nurse in church all the time, but there are tons of nursing moms in my church and nobody thinks twice about it. It's a lot more rare to see someone bottle-feeding in my church, and it's often for an adopted child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting