Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 06:50 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,752 times

Advertisements

My daughter is almost 10 months old and my mom keeps bothering me about getting her ears pierced. I told her I don't want to subject my baby to that kind of pain and that she can decide if she wants them pierced when she is older.
My other daughter is 2 1/2 and she bugged me about this too. I still have not gotten her ears pierced.
Why is it so necessary for me to get her ears pierced as a baby? I don't get it. Sure it looks cute but at what cost? Too much pain in my opiniion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 07:17 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,471 times
At the age your children are now, I would wait until they decide if they want pierced ears. I got my youngest daughter's done when she was 6 weeks old at a salon... she slept through the whole thing. She never even flinched. I think you can have it done when they are very small without it being uncomfortable for them, but your little ones are beyond that age now.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:54 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,487,108 times
i had mine done at 1 month and of course dont remember the pain and my mom tells me i cried for a couple of minutes and the was it.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:01 AM

556 posts, read 798,048 times
I don't like when babies have pierced ears. I don't think parents should decide to poke holes in their babies. I mean, I might think a tattoo looks nice, can I get one on my baby? I also think there is too much of a chance of them getting pulled on and ripping the ear lobe, infection, and choking hazards.

I say leave babies ears alone. Save ear piercing as a bribing tool when they're older

Old 08-25-2010, 08:03 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Please stick to your guns. It's your baby, not your mother's.
Admittedly, I'm a bit old fashioned, but it repulses me to see a baby with pierced ears. I wouldn't pierce a child's ears any more than I would get her tattooed. Ear piercing used to be just an ethnic thing, then it became a right of passage for a teenager. I believe that unpierced ears will become something distinctive and desirable in the near future. At any rate, I think it's a form of mutilation that should only be done on someone old enough to decide for herself...I use the feminine because I think pierced ears on boys and men is really freakish.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:01 AM

821 posts, read 2,037,792 times
I got my daughters ears pierced at her Dr. office when she was about 2 months she didnt even cry I was the one holding my breath in fear..LOL.. but your daughters age I would just wait until she wanted to get them. Did you ever ask her if she wants earings??

Old 08-25-2010, 09:03 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
There was a pretty long thread on this a while back. I think it is silly to pierce a baby's ears. I don't see the point. Wait until they're old enough to ask for it.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:52 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,672,468 times
We pierced the ears of both of our daughters around 6 months. We got it done at their doctors office who offers the service, since it's so popular. They barely flinched or cried and there was no issue with infections and they make special backings so the kids can't pull them out. I think it looks cute and it was a decision we made. Not sure if there is any real benefit to it at all other than they look cute.

My opinion is to each their own. I don't consider it torture or mutilation, but it is definitely a personal choice. If you are against it, don't cave to make anyone else happy.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:58 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
please stick to your guns. It's your baby, not your mother's.
Admittedly, i'm a bit old fashioned, but it repulses me to see a baby with pierced ears. I wouldn't pierce a child's ears any more than i would get her tattooed. Ear piercing used to be just an ethnic thing, then it became a right of passage for a teenager. I believe that unpierced ears will become something distinctive and desirable in the near future. At any rate, i think it's a form of mutilation that should only be done on someone old enough to decide for herself...i use the feminine because i think pierced ears on boys and men is really freakish.
ita!

Old 08-25-2010, 10:11 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
I never had my ears pierced. My mother's family is Eastern European and there is a saying "Seven holes (in the head), seven sins, seven sacraments." So you could say it is a religious thing and something I decided to honor.

And none of my sons are the earrings type, though they are old enough to choose for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting