Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 01:46 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Can you give more info? Is this mother married or single? Did she want the baby or was it an unplanned/unwanted pregnancy?
People who plan pregnancies can want breaks from babies too! But I agree that being single would be relevant. Single parenting is very stressful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 02:24 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,337,479 times
I personally wouldn't do it but it doesn't mean that other new mother's wouldn't.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:21 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,752,212 times
Two months after baby was born, I went out with a family member because it was my birthday. Let me tell you although the dinner was lovely, I truly would have prefered to do it later down the line. There is nothing wrong with wanting to go out as a new mom. I had bed rest through out my pregnancy and I totally missed fall and winter in NYC. When I did go out I was shocked it was blazing summer and I didn't have a thing to wear! Moms no matter what if they are single, married, new to the game or a professional need to get out and let their hair down. Seriously, we had lives before our child came along and we should have lives thereafter albeit a bit more restricted.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:01 AM

897 posts, read 2,455,504 times
My husband's sister got married 3 weeks after my first child was born-My aunt kept her for me -I was so exhausted-I went home and slept while my husband went out with all the young people from the wedding. I had NO desire!!

Old 09-04-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
My husband's sister got married 3 weeks after my first child was born-My aunt kept her for me -I was so exhausted-I went home and slept while my husband went out with all the young people from the wedding. I had NO desire!!
You still took advantage of your alone time and did what you wanted: uninterrupted sleep! (Isn't that what every new mother wants? LOL) Good for you!

Old 09-04-2010, 09:38 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
I distinctly remember the desire to get out of the house about 5 weeks after having my son. He was 3 weeks early, I'd had a c-section, and had barely even been able to get out to the store, let alone anyplace else. I didn't want to get out without the baby, I just wanted out, and wanted to feel like I could still have some semblance of my former life. My husband and I had a local pub we liked to go to. It was like Cheers where everyone knew everyone. We took the baby with us and each had one beer. We showed the baby off to our friends there. It was probably 4:30 or 5 pm. We probably went home for dinner.

I also remember leaving the baby with my husband so I could go to a book store, have some coffee, and read a magazine alone.

By that time, I was well out of college, done partying, I didn't feel the need to go out drinking and dancing.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:54 AM

I remember the first time we left our first baby alone (with grandmother) and went to a restaurant down the road for a quick lunch. We talked ALL THE TIME about the baby!

Old 09-04-2010, 10:27 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,835 times
I might raise an eyebrow if someone was constantly out partying to all hours night after night after night while leaving an infant at home. However, I try not to be judgmental of other parents since becoming one myself.
My partying days were long gone before I even had kids, so it's hard for me to say if I would have done it when I was younger. On the other hand, I was happy to go back to work and be around other adults and go out to lunch.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:51 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
My mom stayed with me for a month after my first baby so I took advantage of the opportunity for a long evening out with DH, knew the opportunity wouldn't happen again very soon. Not much drinking though, breastfeeding pretty much nixed that. Actually breastfeeding nixed a lot of long evenings out, just not as much fun to have to stop and pump every four or five hours...

Old 09-04-2010, 03:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
It's the line that this new mother wants to "hit the bars and drink some beers" that raises red flags with me. Sounds like a someone who enjoyed partying and doesn't want to give it up?

A dinner out I can absolutely see. I can remember going out to a restaurant a month afterwards, looking at the menu, marveling at all the choices and thinking, "Wow! I can have anything I want. And I don't have to cook it. And somebody is going to bring it to me."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting