Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:38 AM

834 posts, read 2,685,110 times

Advertisements

Help! My kid is giving me grief. Goes to school (pre-pre K) and pretty much every day scratches someone, or hides from teachers, runs away when they are calling. Today, I got a call from the director saying my kid kicked one other kid in the head...just like that for no reason. Thankfully the other kid is fine, just a bit shaken up. They were not fighting regarding a toy or anything.

We sit every day and talk about having listening ears, and how hitting, biting, etc is not nice to other people. I don't know why this behavior. The teachers are strong and experience...but they cannot have 1-on-1 like I do with mine...they have a total of 16 kids in her class, some of which go home early at 2pm.

My pediatrician told me to get ready for the 3s, which in her opinion were worse than the 2s...but I thought it didn't involve this violence.

Any parents with recommendations of how to handle, please post your reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 11:41 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston_2010 View Post
Help! My kid is giving me grief. Goes to school (pre-pre K) and pretty much every day scratches someone, or hides from teachers, runs away when they are calling. Today, I got a call from the director saying my kid kicked one other kid in the head...just like that for no reason. Thankfully the other kid is fine, just a bit shaken up. They were not fighting regarding a toy or anything.

We sit every day and talk about having listening ears, and how hitting, biting, etc is not nice to other people. I don't know why this behavior. The teachers are strong and experience...but they cannot have 1-on-1 like I do with mine...they have a total of 16 kids in her class, some of which go home early at 2pm.

My pediatrician told me to get ready for the 3s, which in her opinion were worse than the 2s...but I thought it didn't involve this violence.

Frankly, she doesn't sound ready for pre-school. Can you pull her out and wait a year?

Old 10-26-2010, 11:44 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:

As former girlfriend of a man with a two-year old, I can tell you that there is only one thing that gets through to them and that is a swift whack on the butt. oh, yes, there will be an outrage of posters who do not believe in "striking a child" or that "violence is not the answer" bull pucky.

In nature, mama bears, mama cougars, mama *everythings* give their babies a good whack every once in a while. It is not to injure them - IT IS TO GET THEIR ATTENTION. Until you get their attention you cannot teach them proper behavior.

My grandfather used to say "that's what butts were designed for". You can hit them hard enough to make it sting without leaving a mark or hurting the recipient.

Now is the time to start teaching them behavioral concepts or you will regret it for the rest of your life, especially when they are 14 or 15.

Having been a child myself, I can attest to this.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-26-2010, 11:48 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,906,831 times
The threes are worse than the twos. The twos are wonderful. I don't know where the twos got the bad rap. Threes are awful! (in a wonderful way but still awful!).

My friend's ped told her when her oldest turned 4, get ready for the effing 4s.

There is a series of books called Your One Year Old, Your Two year old, and so on...it might not give you cut and dried solutions but will help explain the developmental reasons behind the behavior which will help you figure out how to handle it.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:50 AM

834 posts, read 2,685,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Frankly, she doesn't sound ready for pre-school. Can you pull her out and wait a year?
No I can't, I work. Has been going to daycare or school since 14 months...so at the very least should be used to it by now.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
No I can't, I work. Has been going to daycare or school since 14 months...so at the very least should be used to it by now.
Not trying to be critical, so PLEASE don't be offended, okay? Your child seems to need more of you then they are currently getting.

Is there any way to cut back your work hours? If you would starve otherwise then I'd understand. But if you don't have to work so much you're child would be better off right now if you didn't.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:03 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,865,348 times
Do you punish the child when he does this behavior?

Old 10-26-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Do you punish the child when he does this behavior?

She's at work, he's at preschool - how is she supposed to punish him?

Oh, you mean she should do that 14 hours after the fact?? That's like spanking a puppy for pooping on the carpet yesterday - very ineffective.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:07 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,865,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Not trying to be critical, so PLEASE don't be offended, okay? Your child seems to need more of you then they are currently getting.

Is there any way to cut back your work hours? If you would starve otherwise then I'd understand. But if you don't have to work so much you're child would be better off right now if you didn't.

You know someone is gonna get offended though .

Old 10-26-2010, 12:16 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Well, that is a horse of a different color.

Your child is hostile because she feels abandoned. Have you ever BEEN in one of those places? They are like concentration camps for little children. My first JOB was being a two year old "teacher" in a preschool and I went home crying my first day and told my mother 'THANK YOU FOR NEVER, EVER PUTTING ME IN ONE OF THOSE PLACES WHEN I WAS A CHILD". I never went back, I could not bear it.

You would be infinitely well advised to change your lifestyle so that you can survive on one income and raise your own child instead of allowing it to be institutionalized in such a horrible, heartless environment. Honestly, go to a DIFFERENT "preschool" and spend a day there. See what it is really like before you defend it up one side and down the other. Unless you have been there yourself, you have no concept WHATSOEVER how horrible it is.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting