Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 12:42 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,338,144 times

Advertisements

I just got a call on my answering machine from my son's school. Apparently another child punched him during recess
They called to let me know he is ok and there is no swelling but there is some redness. I am livid. I called the school and told them that I should be contacted on my cell phone not my home phone that way I can respond more promptly. Also I told them that this is unacceptable and that I view it as bullying and I'm not taking this lightly.
They said the student that punched him has been talked to and there will be consequences.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 12:51 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I just got a call on my answering machine from my son's school. Apparently another child punched him during recess
They called to let me know he is ok and there is no swelling but there is some redness. I am livid. I called the school and told them that I should be contacted on my cell phone not my home phone that way I can respond more promptly. Also I told them that this is unacceptable and that I view it as bullying and I'm not taking this lightly.
They said the student that punched him has been talked to and there will be consequences.
Thanks for letting me vent.

Sorry this happened to your son. You would think the school could have been bothered to call your cell when they didn't get you on your home number

Old 10-19-2010, 12:57 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,197,834 times
One punch is bad behavior, and deserving of negative consequences. It is not, however, bullying.
If Other Child does it repeatedly, or if it's an escalation from a pattern of verbal aggression, then it's bullying.

As for whether your cell should be called, list it first, and keep it on you during school hours. Problem solved.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:59 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,807,115 times
What led up to the fight? Boys fight sometimes, it happens. Your son is okay and was not injured and the other boy was punished. What more needs to be done?

Old 10-19-2010, 01:02 PM

486 posts, read 1,666,101 times
I have to agree with Aconite completely....that at this point I wouldn't consider it bullying. If it happens again and then again, yes.... Is it bad behavior, absolutely.

How times have changed too.... when I was a young girl, a boy lifted up my skirt on the playground. I punched him in the stomach... guess who got in trouble? he did for lifting up my skirt. He never did it again.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:18 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,284,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liloulou View Post
I have to agree with Aconite completely....that at this point I wouldn't consider it bullying. If it happens again and then again, yes.... Is it bad behavior, absolutely.

How times have changed too.... when I was a young girl, a boy lifted up my skirt on the playground. I punched him in the stomach... guess who got in trouble? he did for lifting up my skirt. He never did it again.
Yeah... times have changed. My oldest (4th grade at the time) was on the playground. He actually in a fight with someone who was bullying his smaller friend and my son told him to stop. I was never informed by the school, even though I am friends with a teacher who was on the playground at the time and she admits it happened. My son is who told me of the incident. My son ended up with a bruise under his eye and the other child had a bloody nose.

The reason I was never officially notified.... the boy who hit my son was a big bully, known throughout the school. My son stood up to him and got hit, then my son tackled the boy and wailed on him. The reason I was never notified is that the school has a zero tolerance for violence. So my son would have been suspended. The teachers did not want my son punished for standing up to the bully.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
What led up to the fight? Boys fight sometimes, it happens. Your son is okay and was not injured and the other boy was punished. What more needs to be done?

They didn't give me any details If my son was at fault as well they would have let me know and they would have punished him. The only one they are punishing is the kid that hit him. My son was also punched last month and I'd like to know whether it was the same kid again.

Last edited by KylieEve; 10-19-2010 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: .

Old 10-19-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
One punch is bad behavior, and deserving of negative consequences. It is not, however, bullying.
If Other Child does it repeatedly, or if it's an escalation from a pattern of verbal aggression, then it's bullying.

As for whether your cell should be called, list it first, and keep it on you during school hours. Problem solved.

I did list it first. I don't agree that it has to be repetitive to be bullying. One punch is enough for me to view it as bullying. If you don't see it as bullying that is your opinion what it is for sure is physical abuse.

Here's a link:

Bullying Canada | What is Bullying?

Last edited by KylieEve; 10-19-2010 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: .

Old 10-19-2010, 01:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
I am livid. I called the school and told them that I should be contacted on my cell phone not my home phone that way I can respond more promptly.
You have every right to expect them to call your cell phone. I'd be upset if I didn't find out until the end of the day too.

Quote:
Also I told them that this is unacceptable and that I view it as bullying and I'm not taking this lightly.
You're going a little overboard here. One punch isn't an indication of bullying. Your son could have been bullying the other student verbally. I'm not saying that hitting is appropriate. I just think it's important to put bullying into perspective. Bullying is not always physical. It could just be that they had a fight----like kids do sometimes.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:25 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,702,592 times
I would take this one in stride. Boys will be boys no matter how much modern parenting and schooling tries to "beat" it out of them. It seems like it was an isolated incident, probably got a little carried away playing. If anything I would reinforce to your son that no one has a right to hit him and he has a right to defend himself physically if need be, consequences be damned.

As for the school not calling your cell, well there really isn't an excuse for that if they had your number. I would either remind them you want your cell called, or make sure that is the only number listed. Chances are the person making the call thought it was important enough to let you know what happened, but not serious enough to try and track you down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting