Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 02:01 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times

Advertisements

whoops, I meant had 3 boys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 02:07 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
OMG, Ikea is great!! We go there a lot and Fairway too. The grounds around Ikea Plaza are so much fun to hang out all day long, be it riding bikes, roller bladeing or just laying on one of the many lawns overlooking the water, views for days.....
Red Hook has a great park and food vendors to go nuts over....so much going on over there, it is like a hidden treasure.

It does and I miss it very much

Old 11-17-2010, 02:19 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
The title is asking if it's okay for a child to have a bigger room than mom?

But the OP is asking if it's okay for Mom to take the larger room.

Those are conflicting questions.

Of course, it's okay for a child to have a bigger room. And, of course, it's okay for Mom to take the larger room.

Do whatever you want, OP. There are no rules. You are the boss. You make the rules, not us.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:23 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
When we moved, I gave my teenage son the master suite, LARGE room with bathroom and walk-in closet? Why, you ask? We were forcing him to move across the country in the middle of his junior year and he was having health problems. I wanted him to have a perk as part of the move to help with the transition.

My point is that everyone's situation is different. But YOU are the mom. It seems like you have trouble accepting that authority. I agree with others that letting her decorate after the move would help. My mom let me decorate my bedroom when I was 13 and finally got my own room. It was a great experience and I never forgot it.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:07 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
My mom let me decorate my bedroom when I was 13 and finally got my own room. It was a great experience and I never forgot it.
I was about the same age. Pictures of John Lennon on the ceiling. Lime green beams. Pink shag bedspread. Flowered pillows on the floor. Psychadelic astrology posters from the Haight. Incense burning. I even had a lava-lamp and Mom was cool with everything.

The woman was a saint.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:02 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
I did the Roger Dean posters, Guadalajara-Orange walls, and a matching orange & deep-yellow shag carpet. And two special edition limited Peter Max posters, signed by the artist, which were actually promotion posters for my uncle's shoe factory. I actually wrote "I love Kenny" on one of them - sheesh, I was a dumb kid.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:45 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The title is asking if it's okay for a child to have a bigger room than mom?

But the OP is asking if it's okay for Mom to take the larger room.

Those are conflicting questions.

Of course, it's okay for a child to have a bigger room. And, of course, it's okay for Mom to take the larger room.

Do whatever you want, OP. There are no rules. You are the boss. You make the rules, not us.
I agree.

Mom makes the rules is #1.

But who has the larger room well....
What works.

You may wish to consider getting her a decent sized desk to do her home work on in which case once again it may be more suitable for her to have the larger room.

I worry here that if the OP is feeling disempowered then trying to regain the balance of power by taking the bigger room sounds petty. Not meaning to be rude here. I totally believe that the parents should be in control and in authority over the kids and both the parent and the kid needs to know who is in charge. I would think that IF it is a problem about disempowerment then I would say to see if you can find a life coach to help you regain selfconfidence and then if necessary swap the rooms around. I hope that makes sense and its is not intended to be attacking you. So if I have sounded harsh, please accept my apology.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:46 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Seriously!! I don't know how you did it. Boys are GROSS!!

I bow to you.

See i never agreed with that stereotype....going from my family and to college i can say girls are just as gross .

Old 11-17-2010, 04:49 PM

426 posts, read 791,728 times
I think the real issue here is that it isn't about who has the larger room but why does mom suddenly want my room? I'm assuming she's probably had this room since the age of 5 or 6 and she's 12 so she has spent quite a few years in what she claims is her room. This may sound pathedic but I think it's hard adjusting to a new room even in the same house. I've had to move back into my parents house for a few months and I got my sister's old room because she is in my old room. I don't particularly like it, but I deal with it. IMO I don't know if it's in your budget to move into another apartment but that might be something to consider because it's a new place and new rooms and it would make for a better adjustment into the "master room" as the Mom. I think what others have suggested are good thoughts to like making it fun re-painting or what not, maybe new furniture, but she may grow to resent it to.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:55 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I gave my teen daughter the larger room in our apartment, she spends more time in her room, doing homework, and she has more stuff. It did not matter to me.

Sounds like you are having more issues than about a room.

At this point, you can make her change rooms, but in my opinion, that is going to create drama. Are you sure a man is not behind this idea? Just asking...because it seems that men like to wedge between you and your child.

Last edited by jasper12; 11-17-2010 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting