Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 07:40 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times

Advertisements

I would like to add, over the years we have had a child molester, a person die in a gang related incident, and someone go to jail for tax fraud all on my street. Granted the dead person didn't die on our street but he still lived right next door to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 07:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I would like to add, over the years we have had a child molester, a person die in a gang related incident, and someone go to jail for tax fraud all on my street. Granted the dead person didn't die on our street but he still lived right next door to me.
I guess if he's dead, he can't check on your kids!

Old 11-28-2010, 07:52 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
In my last neighborhood, which was a middle class neighborhood, our next door neighbors were deported. We later learned that not only were they illegal immigrants but they were running a hydroponics operation growing marijuana in their home. I am glad that I trusted my instincts which told me that they were shady. Just because they lived next door there was no reason for me to trust them. They were not trustworthy people. Criminals are SOMEONE'S neighbors.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:59 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
In my last neighborhood, which was a middle class neighborhood, our next door neighbors were deported. We later learned that not only were they illegal immigrants but they were running a hydroponics operation growing marijuana in their home. I am glad that I trusted my instincts which told me that they were shady. Just because they lived next door there was no reason for me to trust them. They were not trustworthy people. Criminals are SOMEONE'S neighbors.
Exactly. The child molester had kids and everything. I used to go over and play with them. Then I remember we where driving to softball and we saw the news truck in front of the house and they asked us how we felt living near a convicted sex offender. It turns out the whole family showered together! He had a daughter a year younger than me...and I was about 15.

The neighbor who died...his mother was ALWAYS checking on us. My mom got quite annoyed since she obvious couldn't control her own kids. She used to call me mom all the time and tell her if my sister was smoking next to the house...when my sister was 18. My mom kindly informed her that what we do in our yard isn't her business.

Additionally, we live in a very upscale neighborhood

Last edited by LadyR1990; 11-28-2010 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: EDIT: We live in a very upscale neighborhood

Old 11-28-2010, 09:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
This is not limited to people who are not wealthy. I would rather hire someone who was referred by someone I actually KNEW than just someone who lives near me. I guess I don't see what is so magic about someone who lives near me that I should trust them more than someone who may live further away but I actually know. A reference provided by a stranger is pretty useless even if the stranger lives across the street.

I am not sure why you see this as a money issue. I would rather check with someone I know when trying to find references for than with people who just happen to live in close proximity to me.

What is so magic about neighbors that makes them more trustworthy than other random strangers?
My examples and POINT was that you don't know anyone when you move to a new city. You can't check with someone you know if you don't know anyone. You have to use your instincts. When you don't know anyone, neighbors are the first place to start for recommendations. Afterall, you don't know anyone in a new city.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:52 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Not only would I consider it okay for a neighbor to check on the kids if they knew no one else was home, I'd check on theirs as well. And I'd check on the neighbors next door, who were elderly and the wife was infirm. Every Sunday the husband would bring us a box of donuts and the sunday paper. I never understood why he did that, but it's just something he liked to do and we graciously accepted and all sat down to a donut together.

On days when he didn't show up, we looked out the window. If the garage door was up, we'd go out and knock on the kitchen door (which was through the garage) and make sure they were okay. If the door was down, we'd know they just weren't home yet and probably had a church function.

As for not trusting your immediate neighbors - if you feel you can't trust them, then you have no business raising kids near them. Your kids WILL get out of the house and roam the neighborhood at one point or another. You'd better be able to trust your neighbors or you'll be in for a world of trouble.
I agree. I don't understand why someone would not want well-meaning, concerned neighbors. My neighbors are great (but they're moving to Texas today ). We were out of town last month when the husband heard a crash in our backyard. He came over to check it out and saw a teenage girl running away. Our house had been broken into. I'd much rather have neighbors who look out for my family (as we will do for them) than one who ignores potential danger and doesn't care.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:48 AM

345 posts, read 474,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
What kind of weather emergency would prevent calling home or a neighbor?
a tornado 2 blocks away, amongst others

Old 11-29-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Yes but they are usually predicted since the fronts have to be in a correct position to create the rotation.
it's not always that easy. We lived in Iowa and were at chuch when one riped up a cornfield 1/4 mile away.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:06 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Recently an issue was raised on another website regarding checking in on your neighbors during bad weather situations. Would you want your neighbors to go to your house and check on the wellbeing of your children if you were not at home without asking you first? Of course I am talking about kids who are responsible and legally allowed to be at home alone, but who otherwise are in no apparent danger.
It would depend on which neighbor.

If Miss XXXX, who is elderly but in far better shape than most people my age, and who adores my children, wanted to check on them, I would think she was being thoughtful and a good neighbor.
If it were the people behind us, who are snoopy and pushy Stepford-wannabes, I thank them politely and sort of roll my eyes when I retold the story to my sister later on.
If it were the yahoos across the street, I would wonder what they were up to.
If it were Son of Yahoos, I would know what he was up to (probably casing the joint).

Old 11-29-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
No they may not put a time, but your sarcasm is noted.

That being said, there have been a few tornados where I have lived in Ohio. Every single time there was a storm. It didn't go from bright and sunny to tornado in 5 seconds. They also ring the tornado sirens when tornados are near.
Where I lived in Iowa we had that happen. I worked on the north side of town. It was clear. Looking south it was pitch black with two touch downs. The sirens did not go off where I worked. What if I lived on the south side? I would have had no idea of the danger

Quote:
Also I have never lost power in the 22 years I lived in Ohio and there where times when it was 36 below with a windchill.
We had the power go off on Thanksgiving. Someone drove into one of those green units someplace. Weather does not necessarily have anything to do with it. Where I lived in Maryland the junciot/relay unit for our area was at the bottom of a steep hill. Around 1 in 10 tikmes the roads would get slick someone would wind up driving into it and we'd lose power.

Quote:
Chances are if you live in an area that experiences this type of weather regularly you know exactly what to do.
I do, but you can't count on a 17yo to know exactly what to do.

1) There is no way to guarantee a teenager will be watching a TV station broadcasting the warning.

2) They may nothear the siren (they do listen to loud music and sleep).

3) There is a very large possibility they will run around the yard with baaseball sized hail falling to get the cat inside.

4) They may panic. It happens at that age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting