Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 01:37 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,970,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
How many of you have children? What type of behavior are we talking about specifically? I think it is good that parents and children are eating together.

Now if they are coming to your table and bothering you, that would be another situation, but unless they are where you are, just ignore and chill.

I would rather have children around than some business person barking into a cell phone. I think cell phones should definitely be banned from restaurants.
I am a live in nanny.
I can tune out Joe Schmoe talking on a cell phone, but the ear piercing shrieks or hey hey hey hey hey loook look look HEY LOOK....that I cannot tune out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I have a child and I can tell you, I'd rather listen to a business person "barking" into a cell phone than have a bunch of kids running around, screaming, climbing on tables, etc while I'm trying to have a meal.
Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Ditto. Yap away on your cell phone. I am convinced that children under 4 have no concept of what a conversational tone is also. They just yell everything.
No they don't. Nor do they grasp the concept of privacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I thought we were talking about other people's children. My children are 38 and 44. I have never had a meal ruined by children because I love children; but I absolutely hate to have someone barking into a cell phone so loud that the entire room can hear it. I even once had two girls on a table across from me that were conducting a conference call. The dining table is no place to conduct business. We don't go to that place anymore. Anyone who allows cell phone use, will not be getting my business. Cell phones need to be out of sight and never used in public. My opinion. When a person has class, you never know they have a cell phone. Use them in your car or hotel room. My grandchildren are not allowed to have cell phones at the dining table.

Children on a trip have to eat somewhere. Get a life.
I don't bark into cell phones out in restaurants but on the rare occasion when I have to go out for social sake with my mom and stuff when people come in to visit, I do text at the table, under it though. But I want some food but I don't want to have to be subjected to just talking to the people I am at the table with, especially when it includes my super moody arrogant brother and my mom and her friends who talk about the most boring and mundane **** I have ever heard.

But honestly if it affects a person so much to SEE some teen/young adult texting on a cell phone in a restaurant then they A) need to learn to mind their own business B) need to get over themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
It's called having a job. Never use a cell phone in public? HA.

Children do have to eat somewhere, it's called their house or hotel room. People with class would never have a misbehaving child in public. When a person has class, you would never know they have kids with them

Also, not everyone shares your love of children.
Isn't that the point of a cell phone? To have it while out in public?
I mean really?
If I couldn't use my cell phone out in public I would be screwed. I use my phone everyday, it goes everywhere with me, even in the house it is in my pocket. If I am out in public it is in my pocket.

Sometimes I need to call/text someone and double check something or ask a question or sometimes the produce isle in the grocery store is hella boring and I rather text a friend about plans for that night while finding oranges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post

I find the cell phone thing much much more annoying. I don't see any reason to be yapping away on one's phone while out to eat at a restaurant. Most of the conversations that I've overheard are completely pointless and TMI.
And all your conversations out in public are deep and meaningful and have a point?
And whats the difference between talking on a cell phone out in public and talking to another person out in public???
ITS TALKING....either way!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywha View Post
I must say, doctors can use their phones WHENEVER they want.......what if I were the patient, and someone needed to get ahold of him in regards to something to do with me.......But what I do NOT like is "Billybob" using his phone (the kind with the radio....it goes beep beep, lol) so he can disuss with his friend "Joe Blow" how many cases of beer to bring to the party tonight and how many fine peices of *** are going to be there.........or Tiff talking bout what a jerk her boyfriend is and how she can't break up with him because her toothbrush is at his house!!!! And those kinds of conversations taking place in the booth right behind me!!!
Ok so those people have those conversations on their cell phones out in public, so what makes you think that if the person they were talking to was THERE, do you think the conversation would change?
Uh no!

Old 11-30-2010, 01:51 PM

466 posts, read 815,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
And all your conversations out in public are deep and meaningful and have a point?
And whats the difference between talking on a cell phone out in public and talking to another person out in public???
ITS TALKING....either way!!!!

Ok so those people have those conversations on their cell phones out in public, so what makes you think that if the person they were talking to was THERE, do you think the conversation would change?
Uh no!
I completely agree. I don't to hear people shouting or yelling in their phone or in person. But if they are speaking in a reasonable conversational tone, I really don't care if they are on the phone or not. Frankly, I'd much rather hear half of a crude conversation than the whole thing.

A few year ago, DH and I went to dinner at this local Thai place. They weren't really busy. This girl came in by herself on the phone. She was seated and stayed on the phone. I was like, "What is she doing?!" But then I kept watching. She pulled the phone away whenever the waitress came by and she was speaking so low, I could barely her. Honestly, she was probably being less distracting than if her friend or whoever had been sitting right there with her. When we left she was still eating and still on the phone. And she was not causing a scene or intruding on anyone else's dinner.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:14 PM

208 posts, read 270,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I have been annoyed by loud cell phone talkers in restaurants and teenagers who seem to believe everyone is interested in their conversation, like, ya know.
Sometimes you just have to speak really loudly on your cell phone because the person you're talking to is quite far away.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:37 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb03 View Post
sometimes you just have to speak really loudly on your cell phone because the person you're talking to is quite far away.

Can You Hear Me NOW????

Old 11-30-2010, 02:52 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,382,376 times
I don't like children, but I think that parents should control their kids in public places. As for parents who say "I can't give a damn!!!", well picture this. In a cinema, can I bring my stereo and play it at full blast? In a library, can I laugh out loud in hysterics if I read something funny in a book?

The point is that there is no right as such to infringe on others' peace. Besides, a parent with noisy kids does not own the restaurant. Therefore, his/her "right" to be disruptive is limited.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:00 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,970,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
I don't like children, but I think that parents should control their kids in public places. As for parents who say "I can't give a damn!!!", well picture this. In a cinema, can I bring my stereo and play it at full blast? In a library, can I laugh out loud in hysterics if I read something funny in a book?

The point is that there is no right as such to infringe on others' peace. Besides, a parent with noisy kids does not own the restaurant. Therefore, his/her "right" to be disruptive is limited.
Have you ever tried to control a child in a public place?
It is HARD.

Once the child starts acting up you try to get them to calm down but then they want to do the opposite of what you just said, then come the NOO NOOO NOOO's I DONT WANT TOOO's, then you try and remove the child from the public place and they start kicking and screaming.

I took the kids I nanny for today out and they were both horribly cranky and needed naps halfway through but the mom wanted me to atleast stay out an hour so she could get stuff done.

YOU try pushing a stroller with a one year old who's crying and telling an 3 year old to get over to you now or she would be in a lot of trouble, then having to go get said 3 year old, pick up said 3 year old and push the stroller all at once, while trying to remove them from the situation.

You try doing that quickly enough not to annoy anyone.

Its not easy.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:26 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,181,858 times
This forum never ceases to amaze me. On another thread on this same topic someone was annoyed because their meal was interrupted by loud children's voices while they were eating at Denny's. Isn't Denny's a family restaurant? And on this thread it's gone even further to fast food patios. Kids tend to laugh and talk too loud sometimes. They get excited easily and have a hard time sitting still. Is the answer to never let them leave the house for fear that their loud little voices and laughter might ruin some one's Blizzard or onion rings? I can understand not bringing a child out to a nice restaurant if the parent is not 100% sure that they can handle it but family restaurants and now fast food? Seriously?

Old 11-30-2010, 03:34 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
It is so disturbing to go to a restaurant nowdays to have a dinner, with people allowing their kids to hang from the chandeliers.
Damn I thought the chandeliers were there to keep my kids busy while we waited for our food.

My bad.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:35 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,068,325 times
Not to mention which, it is important to take children to restaurants (and hotels and museums and movie theaters, and church, etc.), even if just fast food, to practice how to behave at a restaurant.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:36 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,068,325 times
I love how many posters without children come over to the parenting section to impart their wisdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting