Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 07:32 AM

736 posts, read 1,695,130 times

Advertisements

I know someone who has a baby named Cullen, after Edward Cullen in "Twilight". People always ask her if her little boy is named after "Twilight" and she says yes he is, because she loves those books, and that if he had been a girl his name would've been Isabella.

This seems to be a trend.

What do you guys think about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 07:39 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3divina View Post
I know someone who has a baby named Cullen, after Edward Cullen in "Twilight". People always ask her if her little boy is named after "Twilight" and she says yes he is, because she loves those books, and that if he had been a girl his name would've been Isabella.

This seems to be a trend.

What do you guys think about this?
Meh, don't care. People name their kids however they want for all sorts of reasons. Is a fictional character from a book any less of a good name for a kid than great-grandpa's name is?

Old 12-08-2010, 07:44 AM

972 posts, read 2,444,004 times
It happens. The names are nice and will sound good years after Twilight has faded.

We ALMOST named our son after a Star Trek character by accident. The funny thing is that we love Star Trek but didn't notice the name thing for quite awhile.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:45 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,862,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Meh, don't care. People name their kids however they want for all sorts of reasons. Is a fictional character from a book any less of a good name for a kid than great-grandpa's name is?
My next child is going to be Named BahHumbugTK-Kramer

Old 12-08-2010, 07:47 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,732 times
I am currently pregnant with a girl and plan to name her Isabelle (not Isabella, but similar enough). However, it has nothing to do with Twilight and everything to do with that fact that we really like the name. Back when I was a tot, my name was not common at all, but it just so happened that there was a prime time tv show with a lead character with the same name. So everyone thought my parents named me after her, when in reality I was named after my grandmother. I DID get picked on some with references to the character when I was little, but it pretty much died down by the time I started grade school. No one ever makes the connection any more (plus the name is becoming more common these days). So I say, if parents choose the name because they really just like the name, then why not? The movie fad will fade and be forgotten before too long.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:48 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,862,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
It happens. The names are nice and will sound good years after Twilight has faded.

We ALMOST named our son after a Star Trek character by accident. The funny thing is that we love Star Trek but didn't notice the name thing for quite awhile.
Mr.sulu?

Old 12-08-2010, 07:49 AM

992 posts, read 2,373,063 times
My 3 and a half year old son is named Colin Edward. Edward after my husband's grandfather. One day, in a supermarket, my son was into something he wasn't supposed to be into, and I said, "Colin Edward!". And this woman screamed so loud it scared me....she said, "OMG! I cannot wait to have my son and name him after Edward Cullen!" At the time I had NO clue who Edward Cullen is. I read one of the books and was NOT impressed. Anyway, we have had several people ask us if we named our son after Twilight, even though his name is Colin, not Cullen. To that we say, "um no."

There IS a trend...I have heard so many "Bellas" lately.

We're naming our daughter Evangeline Kate. I've had a few people ask me if I am a 'Lost' fan. I've never ever watched the show but apparently there is a character on there named 'Kate' and her real life name is Evangeline Lily. I had no clue. Evangeline was suggested by a dear aunt, and Kate, well, I just like it. So here we go again....

Old 12-08-2010, 07:52 AM

972 posts, read 2,444,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Mr.sulu?
No, but that would be a good nickname for him!

We had a family name we wanted to use and were looking for a good middle name, also with family connections. One combination just sounded so right and familiar. Now we know why.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:55 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
I wouldn't do it, but whatever floats their boat. I did just have a friend admit she voted for someone in the last election because his last name was Cullen. It was one of those offices where no one ever knows who any of the candidates are.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:19 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Our son's first and middle name is exactly the same as a famous football player's first and last name. People always assume we named him after the athlete, I didn't even know who he was (not a football fan).

There are many Will and Grace siblings out there too. I'm old enough to remember the Fallon craze from Dynasty. Try explaining that name today. Choose a name because you like it. Would you choose the same name if it wasn't for the popular culture aspect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting