Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 01:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oh poo. Now I'm all sad. This topic got me thinking about U2's Stuck In A Moment, which Bono wrote about a good friend of mine who committed suicide,
Dang. Sorry, Finster. He was a tremendous talent.

And sorry to hear about your other friend too. Today's the 2nd anniversary of the death of a friend of mine. He was Hawaiian. They played "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole at his memorial and it was perfect.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:42 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
U2, Walk On

Old 02-23-2011, 01:47 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
What can explain unexplainable weight loss?
I just weighed and was 136.
I weight 4 days ago and was 139.
And just two weeks ago I was 146 or more.

So within 3 weeks I have dropped 10 pounds or more.
This is actually worse than the time I had swine flu because I only dropped 8-10 pounds steadily over a month and now it like 10 or more in the course of 3 weeks.
You said you weren't eating in an earlier thread. There's your answer. The second you begin eating again (assuming you have the same habits) you will gain the weight right back.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
They played "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole at his memorial and it was perfect.
They played that on ER when Dr Green died. I still get tears when I hear it.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:54 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Dang. Sorry, Finster. He was a tremendous talent.

And sorry to hear about your other friend too. Today's the 2nd anniversary of the death of a friend of mine. He was Hawaiian. They played "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole at his memorial and it was perfect.
Thanks Dew. I can't believe that was almost 14 years ago. The sad thing was, I found out by going to pick up something from a studio in LA, and they told me they'd just heard it on the news. I thought they were pulling my leg. Then they told me he'd just been in that studio the week before and had asked around for my number, but I had just moved and nobody had it.

So I missed my last chance to talk to him. You gotta treasure all of the moments you get, you really do.

Oh darn. I am all weepy. Plus I'm thinking of that version of Somewhere Over The Rainbow. That really is an amazing version. Sorry about the loss of your friend too, Dew. I really miss both those guys.

And I agree about Elton's tribute. I know he was totally, genuinely devastated about Diana's death, even though the song got kinda over exposed.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:01 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
They played that on ER when Dr Green died. I still get tears when I hear it.
I BAWLED when that episode aired.
That song makes me cry everytime as well.
I listen to it when I am sad and it just makes me cry even more.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:05 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Need help from the rock n roll music lovers here! I'm looking for awesome rock songs about grief.

I'm writing about grief and want to use music lyrics. So far, I'm using the following

Paint It Black
I see people turn their heads and quickly look away
Like a newborn baby it just happens ev'ryday

Tears In Heaven.
Time can bring you down, time can bend your knees
Time can break your heart, have you begging please...begging please

I might use something from Queen's The Show Must Go On, maybe not.

I'm not interested in songs contemplating one's own death, like The Reaper, Spirit in the Sky, or Knocking on Heaven's door. Great songs, but they're not about grieving.

And I don't like Elton John's Candle in the Wind because, as much as I like Elton, I think his tribute to Diana is cheesy.

Anyone else have any ideas?
I would look up songs by Linkin Park, Tom Petty, Fleetwood Mac

Coming Home by Cinderella comes to mind for some reason.

Shadow of the Day & Waiting For the End by Linkin Park

Imagine by John Lennon

Old 02-23-2011, 02:13 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
Avenged Sevenfold's Victim

The whole song - so sad.....

House full of roses, a letter on the stairs
A tape full of messages for anyone who cares
Collage of broken words, and stories full of tears
Remembering your life cause we wish you were here

Nothing is harder than to wake up all alone
Realize its not okay, its the end of all you've known
Time keeps passing by but it seems I'm frozen still
Scars are left behind but some too deep to feel

And some say this can't be real
And I've lost my power to feel tonight
We're all just victims of a crime

When all's gone and can't be regained
We can't seem to shelter the pain inside

Some days you'll find me in a place I like to go
Ask questions to myself bout the things I'll never know
Whats left here to find cause I need a little more
I need a little time, can we even up the score?

When all's gone and can't be regained

Well nothing lasts forever for all good things its true
I'd rather trade it all while somehow saving you
It must have been the season that threw us out of line
Once I stood so tall, now I'm searching for a sign

So don't need your salvation with promises unkind
And all the speculations, save it for another time
Cause we all need a reason, a reason just to stay
And some just cant be bothered to stick around another day

We've all been victims of a crime

When all is gone and can't be regained
We've all been victims of a crime

Victims of a crime
Living with this crime

I'm missing you
I'm missing you
I'm missing you
I'm missing you

Old 02-23-2011, 02:15 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
So I missed my last chance to talk to him. You gotta treasure all of the moments you get, you really do.

Somewhere Over The Rainbow. That really is an amazing version.

And I agree about Elton's tribute. I know he was totally, genuinely devastated about Diana's death, even though the song got kinda over exposed.
That's why I'm always saying "tomorrow isn't promised". Hug someone you love today.

Another amazing version of "OTR" is by Ray Stevens. He did an album where he wasn't all funny and funky and it's really lovely.

I get weepy (still) over Elton's tribute. With a lot of English friends (and we'd just been there) we were burning up the phone lines after she was killed. That country was in the kind of shock we were in when JFK was shot. I can still remember my DH telling me what had happened and I thought, she'll be all right. So we watched a video. Afterwards turned on the TV and she was gone. We debated about calling GB because of the time difference and we knew we'd be waking them up with the news. DH and I got up in the middle of the night to watch her funeral. I cried buckets because I knew our friends were camping out on the streets in London to watch the procession and THEY were crying buckets.

---

On a MUCH happier note: Did you catch Amazing Race on Sunday by any chance? They were in Sydney. Lots of shots from the top of the bridge.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:28 PM

If you had to eat eat one food everyday for the rest of your life (calories and health aside) what would it be:

For me. It would be Kraft Mac and Cheese. I just got the new one that comes with breadcrumbs to put on top. Can't wait to try it. When I was little it was the only thing I would eat. Literally. She took me to teh doctor and the doctor it's better I eat that than not eating at all. Still love it today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting