Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2011, 02:12 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times

Advertisements

Strawflower: Whiskey. If you can't take it straight, mix it with 7-up or something. A nice big shot. Then stay home. You sure can't drive and if you go anywhere you'll start the first round of singing.

Dang, I feel sorry for you. If it's a continuing problem I trust you've seen the doctor?

Old 03-05-2011, 04:06 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,955,563 times
I got the Mirena IUD. Totally amazing. I used to have real difficulty - now, nothing. Some months, literally nothing. Changes your life. Not sure if it works that way for everyone but I think it's one of the "side effects". Best side effects ever.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
(Just this past month or so, 3 grown men I've had meetings with about studio work have commented that they've never met a female engineer - still! In 2011! - plus I hate being called a "female engineer". I'm just a freakin' engineer, dude. Sorry - rant over).
Finster: I asked my brother the music guy about this. He said he know one! And she's in Nashville. And remember we were talking about college radio stations a couple of weeks ago? He said schools like USC don't even allow students to be DJs anymore. That surprised me. (Not that I knew all that much about it.) He said his old UC school is one of the few where the students are still DJs and in charge of play lists. He also said they're all music nazi's (his term) and won't play anything that's actually sold well.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:43 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Took the kids to "Stomp" today. Freaking awesome.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Took the kids to "Stomp" today. Freaking awesome.
That's a great show!

We were at the Musical Instrument Museum. Again. They have an excellent cafe. DH had braised sea bass. I had a carved turkey sandwhich with home-made potato chips. And they give you a side of various marinated veggies. There were pearl onions that were sweet as candy. I don't know how that's done, and normally I'm not an onion-eater, but these were soooo good. Desserts are from a pastry chef who I may adopt.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 03-05-2011 at 06:09 PM..

Old 03-05-2011, 06:19 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,426,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
No! That's a terrific bit of information.

(You may have just changed my life.)
I concur!!!

Old 03-05-2011, 07:43 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Finster: I asked my brother the music guy about this. He said he know one! And she's in Nashville. And remember we were talking about college radio stations a couple of weeks ago? He said schools like USC don't even allow students to be DJs anymore. That surprised me. (Not that I knew all that much about it.) He said his old UC school is one of the few where the students are still DJs and in charge of play lists. He also said they're all music nazi's (his term) and won't play anything that's actually sold well.
Yeah, I know of a couple. Mainly associated with artists - Sheryl Crow has a long time engineer that she uses exclusively and so does Alicia Keys. But there really aren't many of us - I think when I started there were only 2 or 3 in the world. At least that had any measure of success.

There is a very famous recording studio in Hollywood that still refuses to hire women assistant engineers or runners (the first step up the ladder). I have had many arguments with the studio owner (a woman!) about it - she has this misconception that there will be romantic goings on between the client and the staff** - also that it would make the clients uncomfortable to have a woman in the room. That whole decorum thing disappears pretty quickly after about half an hour - I've heard it all and can banter with the best of them. I can certainly out-curse them. They love having me around, because on the other hand I'm very sympathetic when they're having a hard time with something, and take some of the macho vibe out of being in there 12 hours a day.

** Of course that has never ever happened on my watch.

Anyway, that's why I get a little passionate when girls don't reach their full potential, and I understand what makes people in the workforce not take them seriously - we need more girls in these kind of jobs.

And yes, college radio is locked up pretty tight, just like the regular terrestrial market - it's almost impossible to break an independent artist that way any more.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:52 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Yeah, I know of a couple. Mainly associated with artists - Sheryl Crow has a long time engineer that she uses exclusively and so does Alicia Keys. But there really aren't many of us - I think when I started there were only 2 or 3 in the world. At least that had any measure of success.

There is a very famous recording studio in Hollywood that still refuses to hire women assistant engineers or runners (the first step up the ladder). I have had many arguments with the studio owner (a woman!) about it - she has this misconception that there will be romantic goings on between the client and the staff** - also that it would make the clients uncomfortable to have a woman in the room. That whole decorum thing disappears pretty quickly after about half an hour - I've heard it all and can banter with the best of them. I can certainly out-curse them. They love having me around, because on the other hand I'm very sympathetic when they're having a hard time with something, and take some of the macho vibe out of being in there 12 hours a day.

** Of course that has never ever happened on my watch.

Anyway, that's why I get a little passionate when girls don't reach their full potential, and I understand what makes people in the workforce not take them seriously - we need more girls in these kind of jobs.

And yes, college radio is locked up pretty tight, just like the regular terrestrial market - it's almost impossible to break an independent artist that way any more.
I had no idea. It's unbelievable to me that in 2011 this crap still goes on.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:38 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
So I had my audition today and no call back...which is a good thing, I'm not dysfunctional enough to be on that show, we all knew that one that though.

I'm still miserable though...my body is revolting against me. Stomach issues, I hurt all over, and today I got hit by a random extreme wave of drowsiness driving down 25 and kept nodding off and it was bad but 25 is so unsafe to pull over on.

I really thibk my stress is going to kill me, its just going to up and make my body quit.

Good news is I just found an off camera comfortable as hell place to hide and relax at work...ill sit here till my back stops throbbing.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:45 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
So I had my audition today and no call back...which is a good thing, I'm not dysfunctional enough to be on that show, we all knew that one that though.
It is a good thing.

Life is about going down paths untaken; at the same time, when there are huge warning lights not to go down a certain path, it is probably best to think about it before stepping forward.

Not sure why anyone wants to make an a&& of themselves on tv. Maybe b/c it is a sign of the big f you to those in their personal lives.

I really didn't like my 20s. I didn't find it an easy time. But as time goes on & maturity happens, things start to make a little more sense.

Your a single person w/ little to no major responsibilities (a home mortgage or children). Absolutely no excuse why you can't take care of yourself.

Bet you'd feel a heck of a whole lot better w/ some really easy lifestyle changes, you just don't want to do it. Maybe one day you will...I hope so.

Life will never be perfect, but it can be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting