Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2011, 09:12 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Does anyone have any good weigh loss tips. Not like "don't eat sweets" or "run more" like things that are a little different that worked for them. I am trying to be more healthy and drop the 10 lbs I've put on. I joined the gym and I know what to do but I always like to hear things that I might not know about out there.
Get up an hour earlier & go to bed an hour earlier.
Avoid "healthy foods" that have high fructose corn syrup listed in the 1st 5 ingredients (yogurt (such as Yoplait or Dannon) is a no no)
Moderation. 10 pounds is a lot but at the same time, don't do things that you cannot maintain for a long time. If you need chocolate, eat 2-3 small pieces of dark chocolate. If you need crunch, a handful of what you need to satisfy the crunch.
Drink water. A friend told me to take your weight, divide it in half, and that is how many ounces you need to be getting.

IMO, 10 pounds is so hard. I have to do the same thing but am struggling w/ getting motivated. In a wedding in the summer down south, so I have to get the last of the baby weight off.

Good luck!!

Old 01-15-2011, 09:14 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
Hi there
Thanks all. We still have no electricity or wire phone but the cell phone networks are all up and working really well. Cooking on gas.

Going to church this morning before getting back into the clean up.

Drove around a bit this morning at dawn and there are huge piles of junk down many streets but also the coucil have been cleaning it away so some streets look "normal" except for mud everywhere.

Everyone has been getting into helping even the kids. People have started asking for hot coffee. There have been lots of people handing out iced water and some soft drinks even cold beer. Also places to charge mobile phones seem to be being asked for. So we will see. The kids are looking at trying to set up to make hot coffee using our camping gas stove
Hang in there & glad to hear everyone is supporting & trying to make it through a rough time.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:17 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
IMO, 10 pounds is so hard. I have to do the same thing but am struggling w/ getting motivated. In a wedding in the summer down south, so I have to get the last of the baby weight off.

Good luck!!
I am giving myself till the start of my new job which is April 11. My mom lost 70lbs in 9 months. I think one of my MAJOR problems is eating out. I lost about 4 lbs by not eating out. I only have 10 lbs to do. Thanks for all the tips so far.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:17 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
I gained 10 lbs in 2010 after being the same size for quite a long time. It is frustrating. I'd be happy to lose 5 of it. I'm trying to exercise but I don't know if I'm doing enough to make a difference. I'm trying to lay off the sweets and have started to buy healthier yogurt and cereal.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Thanks! These are all great. It breaks my heart about workplace cupcakes which as I feared can really pack on the pounds. We seem to have cupcakes once a week at my internship!
Everytime I return to work from being a SAHM, I gain 10 pounds from the workplace snacks. I finally decided to JUST STOP eating that stuff.

Occassionally I would bring in a veggie tray for everyone. Guess what! Everyone enjoyed it and ate the vegetables!

Quote:
Also I love nuts so i will have to buy more.
Just use them sparingly when using them to curb hunger between meals. It doesn't take many nuts to curb hunger since nuts have protein.

Here's another tip that's SUPER FUN! Turn off the TV and get off the computer. Crank your stereo and DANCE to the music while you clean, cook, do dishes, get ready for work, etc. You can even dance while you're putting on your makeup in the morning! Just DANCE all the time! You'll lose lots of weight and you'll have a blast doing it too!

Last edited by Hopes; 01-15-2011 at 10:26 PM..

Old 01-15-2011, 10:22 PM

Speaking of music, I have to share the fun we had tonight.

Hubby and I just got back from a four hour trip picking up the kids at the ski resort.

There was a radio station that was playing all 70s music with no commercials. It was a great mix of music. Many of the songs weren't songs we typcially hear on the radio these days.

We had a BLAST singing the entire time, dancing in our car seats, guessing the artists, talking about concerts we had attended.

It was so much fun, I felt sort of sad when we got closer to home. I would have stayed in that car with my family for another 5 hours!

All of this reminds me of something else that's always been on my mind. I sure HOPE they play rock-n-roll at the old folks home when I'm an old lady!

I seriously worry about this! I pray they won't be playing easy listening music!

I have good reason to worry too! Have you noticed that old ladies today look like old ladies looked when we were kids?

Same hairstyles! Same types of clothes! Why?!?!?! Why does every generation morph into their grandparents? Why can't the elderly embrace their generation in some unique way?

Why are all old lady clothes the same generation after generation?

I'm not saying that the elderly shouldn't dress their age, but why can't there be STYLE to show individuality?!?!?!

And that short, permed hairstyle? WHY???

I'm frightened, ladies!

Old 01-15-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Humus is great, but watch out, it's not a low caloric food being made up of a lot of olive oil. It's really easy to overdo it without realizing it. Perhaps you can find a better dip, one more veggie based?
Or a low fat salad dressing. Honestly, I eat my raw vegies without anything. I just chomp down on them as they are!

At first, salads and veggies taste bland, but after a few weeks of not eating fattening food, salads and veggies start to taste flavorful and fresh.

We don't use salad dressing when we make our salads at home. This isn't for weight control. We've simply found a better way to flavor salads that we prefer.

When we wash our lettuce and such, we don't try to remove all of the water. Then I toss on "Garden Salad Seasoning" from Penzeys Spices. Delicious!

Has anyone else ever had the joy of discovering Penzeys Spices? My FAVORITE is Foxpoint Seasoning. You can order online if there's not a store near you.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Everytime I return to work from being a SAHM, I gain 10 pounds from the workplace snacks. I finally decided to JUST STOP eating that stuff.

Occassionally I would bring in a veggie tray for everyone. Guess what! Everyone enjoyed it and ate the vegetables!

Just use them sparingly when using them to curb hunger between meals. It doesn't take many nuts to curb hunger since nuts have protein.

Here's another tip that's SUPER FUN! Turn off the TV and get off the computer. Crank your stereo and DANCE to the music while you clean, cook, do dishes, get ready for work, etc. You can even dance while you're putting on your makeup in the morning! Just DANCE all the time! You'll lose lots of weight and you'll have a blast doing it too!
I meant more of a variety of nuts.

I think I am going to sign up for Zumba it looks fun. Even though I know where my weight came from I am confused as to how it added up as I do a lot of walking. I would talk to school and back 2 or 3 times a day at one point and it's a mile! I think it was because I was running around eating junk between classes and staying up late and eating out. I think a lot was stress. Fashion school is stressful!

Old 01-15-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Or a low fat salad dressing. Honestly, I eat my raw vegies without anything. I just chomp down on them as they are!

At first, salads and veggies taste bland, but after a few weeks of not eating fattening food, salads and veggies start to taste flavorful and fresh.

We don't use salad dressing when we make our salads at home. This isn't for weight control. We've simply found a better way to flavor salads that we prefer.

When we wash our lettuce and such, we don't try to remove all of the water. Then I toss on "Garden Salad Seasoning" from Penzeys Spices. Delicious!

Has anyone else ever had the joy of discovering Penzeys Spices? My FAVORITE is Foxpoint Seasoning. You can order online if there's not a store near you.
We always did a little bit of vinegar and olive oil on salads here. My sister is allergic to dairy and this was easy for my mom to pack for going to a restaurant (yes we tended to bring our own food for her when we went out to eat. it was easier than having to worry about cross contamination. Wait, this is the chat thread no need for me to defend myself). I really like it. I also like to make sandwiches with lettuce, turkey, and avocado without bread. It's yummy. I really LOVE the taste of lettuce just on it's own.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
I think I am going to sign up for Zumba it looks fun.
Still dance around your apartment to music. It's free. You don't need to schedule it into your life. You don't need to take a train to it. And it's fun too!

Quote:
Even though I know where my weight came from I am confused as to how it added up as I do a lot of walking. I would talk to school and back 2 or 3 times a day at one point and it's a mile! I think it was because I was running around eating junk between classes and staying up late and eating out. I think a lot was stress. Fashion school is stressful!
Eating junk food is the #1 way to gain weight. You were probably eating junk food because you didn't take the time to eat breakfast or lunch. Then you just start grabbing whatever you can get your hands on and junk food is usually all that's readily available. That's what I like about nuts, raisins, carrots and apples. You can toss those into your backpack to eat instead of junk food. I've eaten that for lunch many times!

Eating out also creates weight gain because the meal portions are much bigger at restaurants. Plus, you're eating out late and then sleeping on the food. Never eat within a few hours of going to bed. Find an eating schedule that works for your lifestyle and stick to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting