Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 02:54 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,946,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nan5623 View Post
When I was in high school, it was mandatory to take a shower after gym, unless it was your time of the month. The gym teacher stood there and checked off all us nekkid girls passing in front of her hungry eyes. Disgusting!!!
I agree, but parents didn't object. My parents went to school in Riverdale NY, and their schools didn't have showers. I wonder when it became the norm to add them to schools.

I would be very much against forcing a student to shower. My generation seems to be the only generation affected by the requirement though. It seems a huge waste of money to build these big locker rooms with multiple showers when so few students want to use them today.

I never worried about my gym teacher. It was a well-known fact that she was lesbian, and her girlfriend was in attendance at some school events, but it didn't creep me out. In today's world I would be more concerned about bullying via cell phone pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 03:00 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,721,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nan5623 View Post
When I was in high school, it was mandatory to take a shower after gym, unless it was your time of the month. The gym teacher stood there and checked off all us nekkid girls passing in front of her hungry eyes. Disgusting!!!
It was mandatory for us to take showers as well...teacher would come through and check. I didn't care and never got less than an A in PE. I absolutely refused to strip naked in front of others. I did, however, wet part of the towel in order to "sponge bath" parts of my body, by reaching under my loose PE shirt, as well as washing my face, neck and arms. I let my teachers know that they could feel free to fail me for not showering in front of others, but they should know I'd contest the grade. My performance and participation in gym class was what they should be paying attention to....NOT my ability to get naked in front of others!

I remember some of the girls in PE class, especially in Jr. high. Some of those girls were downright cruel, the things they'd say. How some of my classmates (the less popular kids), ever survived their cruelty amazes me, to this day! Not only would that stand and point,snickering....but when they'd get out of gym class, they'd go and talk about unappealing physical characteristics, or the HUGE monstrous boobs someone had...the hairiness....you name it. Honestly, I didn't have any abnormalities, other than maturing at a very young age. I simply refused to expose my body for their examination and/or approval. When I started having children, and they expressed their unwillingness to disrobe in front of classmates, I completely supported them and made it clear that if it was an issue with an instructor or coach, I would defend their choice! Once my kids started sharing tales of some of their classmates' behavior...it simply reinforced my decision.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:09 PM

13,413 posts, read 9,947,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
It was mandatory for us to take showers as well...teacher would come through and check. I didn't care and never got less than an A in PE. I absolutely refused to strip naked in front of others. I did, however, wet part of the towel in order to "sponge bath" parts of my body, by reaching under my loose PE shirt, as well as washing my face, neck and arms. I let my teachers know that they could feel free to fail me for not showering in front of others, but they should know I'd contest the grade. My performance and participation in gym class was what they should be paying attention to....NOT my ability to get naked in front of others!

I remember some of the girls in PE class, especially in Jr. high. Some of those girls were downright cruel, the things they'd say. How some of my classmates (the less popular kids), ever survived their cruelty amazes me, to this day! Not only would that stand and point,snickering....but when they'd get out of gym class, they'd go and talk about unappealing physical characteristics, or the HUGE monstrous boobs someone had...the hairiness....you name it. Honestly, I didn't have any abnormalities, other than maturing at a very young age. I simply refused to expose my body for their examination and/or approval. When I started having children, and they expressed their unwillingness to disrobe in front of classmates, I completely supported them and made it clear that if it was an issue with an instructor or coach, I would defend their choice! Once my kids started sharing tales of some of their classmates' behavior...it simply reinforced my decision.
Good Lord, how awful! It's funny, something came up on TV the other night with showering HS students in it, and I asked MrFR if that was the norm here - when/where I grew up we didn't have showers at school at all. I was wondering about all of those things you mentioned beachmel. I can see it being a gruesome opportunity for bullies.

Really, puberty's bad enough without other people seeing it up close and personal.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:03 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,915,253 times
Nope.

I never did either- thank god! I was one of those kids who cringed at the thought of being in a SWIMSUIT (luckily, none of the schools I ever went to had pools), so I can't imagine having to be naked in front of lots of girls. Sounds like the perfect opportunity for bullies!

Old 01-04-2011, 07:52 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,721,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Good Lord, how awful! It's funny, something came up on TV the other night with showering HS students in it, and I asked MrFR if that was the norm here - when/where I grew up we didn't have showers at school at all. I was wondering about all of those things you mentioned beachmel. I can see it being a gruesome opportunity for bullies.

Really, puberty's bad enough without other people seeing it up close and personal.
Exactly FR....look how cruel some kids can be on the playground, in the classroom, and on the school bus. Imagine having to get naked in front of them! Oh my gosh, that brings horror to a whole new level! You know, at least with your clothes on you still retain a modicum of privacy/protection, or at least the illusion of it! Take that away and you're just about as vulnerable as you can get! Some of those bullies are simply dying to jump on an opportunity like that! Look at the way some of these kids gang up on others. Now imagine being naked...where do you run?

Old 01-04-2011, 08:02 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,534,641 times
I wsa in high school in the 70s. For PE we all sat out in the bleachers and changed clothes, stripping down to nothing and putting on gym clothes. Nobody thought anything about standing there naked and turning around to ask another naked guy something. It was just part of life. The reason we had to totally strip to get dressed for gym was we were required to wear a jock strap.
The girls changed in the locker room and my girlfriend at the time said it took her a couple weeks to get used to undressing in front of all the other girls but after that she thought nothing of it.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:10 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times
We never showered in gym, the class was only 40 minutes long then you had a next class, how would you possibly have time. Plus how sweaty could you possibly get in 40 minutes of doing nothing. UGh !!

I hated gym class. I think then, as I do now gym class is a waste of tax payers money.
Not all children are good in, nor like sports, and they don't have to either.
I have 3 sons, 2 like sports, the other couldn't give a rats ass if he ever held a ball in his hand.

and like some of the other posters said here, i too, if need be would go right up to school and tell whoever needed to be told, that NO, my boys were not taking showers at school, and you can go and give detention to someone else......

yes, that's right, I am one of those bitchy parents......but I make the rules for my children, not the school. sticks tongue out !

Old 01-04-2011, 08:08 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,998,847 times
When I went to Middle school Mid'70's Gr 7/8 The PE teacher would have us do spot shower once or twice a month, Other then that no one ever showered.

In HS Some guys would shower after afterschool pratices that were in the school, like Basketball Wresling, but mostly outside sports everyone just went home after pratice or games, the fields were down a big hill and the student parking lot was next to the field, so mosty everyone went home from pratice/games. If we had a double header soccer game most of us took cool off showers beween the games. For PE in HS now one showered no time in the 40 min period, they allow'ed 5 min to change for PE, 5 min to Change back (when we got to locker room on time). If we were out side we would get maybe 10 mins of PE when you counted the time to get to the fields and back. In gym time we had 20, after they got everything going. Can't get very sweaty in 10-20 mins of mostly standing around.

My Son(8th) has never showered so far, Inresting his Middle school is 3x (900 students vs 350) larger then my middle school I went to, but the showers in the middle school are about 1/2 the size as the one I had in middle school... So I guess they figure no one is going to use them in the middle school so why use all that space.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:46 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,922,027 times

Same here- and we had to wear these horrid 1 piece blue gymsuits to boot-this was in the early'70's-I really think it would be against the law to require that today and thank the Lord my kids never had too. But- I must say I do not recall any bullying-at all- by anyone-ever under those circumstances.I wonder why parents didn't complain back in the day-? On the other hand- my highschool mascot was the atom bomb- so maybe the whole freakin town was messed up.........

Last edited by exit82; 01-04-2011 at 10:19 PM..

Old 01-04-2011, 10:01 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,493,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post

Same here- and we had to wear these horrid 1 piece blue gymsuits to boot-this was in the early'70's-I really think it would be against the law to require that today and thank the Lord my kids never had too. But- I must say I do not recall any bullying-at all- by anyone-ever under those circumstances.I wonder why parents didn't complain back it the day-? On the other hand- my highschool mascot was the atom bomb- so maybe the whole freakin town was messed up.........
Same story on the showering. Always hated it. I remember in 7th grade it was the common shower area. but by 8th grade you could go into a private shower. I used to try to sneak into the private ones. Also used to just splash a little water on my shoulders and ends of hair to appear wet.

And don't even get me on those horrid blue gymsuits. One of the happiest days of my life was when I threw it away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting