Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2011, 08:21 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Straw - I just finished looking at the pictures my friend sent me of her daughter - her prom was last night. They all looked so beautiful!

Meanwhile - my son was playing Halo in the basement with his best friend. So I guess prom is very different when you have a girl!

He says he might go next year. Unfortunately, this is where his over practical side might be kicking in too much - as in his mind, he doesn't see the whole point. Then again, he might be thinking differently next year if he has a girl friend.
LOL - my DS went to the Rockies game instead. When I asked him why he changed his mind (he had actually talked about going to prom for awhile earlier) - he said "I had no idea it was so expensive - I thought going to a baseball game was a lot cheaper and probably more fun"....He did go to afterprom and said it was really fun and said he'd probably go to prom next year.

For my DD - it was a huge ordeal - actually, more so as a junior than as a senior....but she looked lovely and so grown up...it really is a moment....

I hear you on the flooding jk - how horrible that must have been - to lose everything and then move to a whole new state/part of the country.... We lived in a place that is often on the news for flooding (but we didn't live on the river) and saw firsthand the devastation that can bring.....

Last edited by maciesmom; 05-01-2011 at 08:32 AM..

Old 05-01-2011, 08:36 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Morning mm .... did you have a nice anniversary?

coop - it can be horrible to be uprooted and moved when you're a kid. Sorry to hear you had a hard time.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:40 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
It was a laid back anniversary....FR....the weather is cold and gloomy and we had some things to take care of....We didn't end up going out for dinner - we may go out to brunch later this morning....We did have a little champagne toast though....

Old 05-01-2011, 08:51 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
coop - it can be horrible to be uprooted and moved when you're a kid. Sorry to hear you had a hard time.
Thanks -

not sure why I posted just a depressing story this morning everyone! Oh well.

mm - you should go have brunch! The weather has been consistently yucky on the weekends lately hasn't it?

Okay, so we discovered a really fun thing using our iPhones..... we've had the Scrabble game on the iPad for quite awhile, but didn't play it much because handing it back and forth, the other player saw your tiles and you couldn't sit there and study the board with your tiles while they took their turn.

So with iPhones, each person's iPhone acts like the tile rack. You hook up to the game via bluetooth. When you decide what tiles to use, you flick them off the rack on the phone, and they appear on the iPad.

We played yesterday, and I never realized our son had never played Scrabble! That was a little pathetic. But we all had fun playing.

I know some (not anyone on here!) think that the gadgets, etc. are bad are far as family and games, etc. But really, we've had more fun playing games using the iPad than before. No set up - no clean up - we can actually get through a game of Monopoly in one sitting! We also play Yahtzee, Life and Boggle. Great for trips too.

Okay - off my soap box

Old 05-01-2011, 09:06 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Thanks -

not sure why I posted just a depressing story this morning everyone! Oh well.

mm - you should go have brunch! The weather has been consistently yucky on the weekends lately hasn't it?

Okay, so we discovered a really fun thing using our iPhones..... we've had the Scrabble game on the iPad for quite awhile, but didn't play it much because handing it back and forth, the other player saw your tiles and you couldn't sit there and study the board with your tiles while they took their turn.

So with iPhones, each person's iPhone acts like the tile rack. You hook up to the game via bluetooth. When you decide what tiles to use, you flick them off the rack on the phone, and they appear on the iPad.

We played yesterday, and I never realized our son had never played Scrabble! That was a little pathetic. But we all had fun playing.

I know some (not anyone on here!) think that the gadgets, etc. are bad are far as family and games, etc. But really, we've had more fun playing games using the iPad than before. No set up - no clean up - we can actually get through a game of Monopoly in one sitting! We also play Yahtzee, Life and Boggle. Great for trips too.

Okay - off my soap box
Oooh! That sounds great. We don't have the phones, just the iPad - I'm going to look into the scrabble though - I've accidentally vacuumed up more tiles than we have left in the box.

I agree with you about the gadgets - MissFR knows a lot of interesting things that I'm not sure I would have even thought to teach her, from playing on the internet. We were outside the other night and she started pointing out stars, saying one was the Dog Star and that a couple of others were a family of comets. She loves books too, but there's just so much information that we'd have to have an entire house full to get that amount without internet access.

There's an amazing Dr Seuss website called seussville.com that I highly recommend. It's fantastic. We scoured garage sales and found most of the books, and it's a great addition. Anybody that loved Green Eggs and Ham or Horton should check it out.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:50 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Well, when I was 15 there was a night where it wouldn't stop raining. We got out just in time. We lost everything. And the water didn't recede for weeks. Just disgusting. After that my mom decided to just pick up and move and that's when we went to Texas. Beginning of the worst year of my life. Even still - I think we had it easy compared to what those people went through and the terror of tornadoes.
[/quote]

And yet look at where you are now. Hugs. It just amazes me to read people's stories, like yours jk, and they aren't bitter. They aren't saying "poor me". You just picked up and built your life. I know there are others in out little group that have done the same. I'm full of admiration.

Morning all.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:50 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,972,786 times
I can't leave out till May 6th for my trip
I have to stay in town to let my friend use my car for her drivers test and she's giving me $80.

Anyways I may be taking a friend with me, who knows yet, but if I take him we might stop along the way and volunteer/help out etc at one of the places hit, if they are along the way.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:50 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Morning all!

j/k - sorry you had to go through that.

Dew - you raise a good point, in this merry little group many have faced adversity, but have overcome a lot, and should be very proud of themselves. *virtual pat on back for you all*

Old 05-01-2011, 02:43 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
My husband is looking at motorcycles on craig's list.

He is sick of spending $100/week on gasoline just to commute to work.

I have mixed feelings about this. I've always wanted a motorcycle.

But hubby always resisted the idea because he had an accident when he was younger.

Now he's suddenly not fraid? Typical for hubby, anything to save a buck.

Doesn't seem like a good reason to buy a motorcycle to me.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:55 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
What kind is he looking at, Hopes? We're a motorcycle family. DH has an Italian Buggati. My only requirement is that he and DSs always wear their helmets. AZ is a no helmet required state and that makes me nervous. I see them go past me on the freeway and think, "Heart donor."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting