Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2011, 07:38 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,752,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
LOL...neither of these seems shocking to me!
You know who shocked me...Donald Trump. I met him twice on really oddball occasions. The first one was I was exiting my doctors office on 5th Avenue with a major skin rash from a food allergy. I had my hands wrapped in gloves to prevent me from scratching and looked horrible. I was running out to catch a cab back to work when I ran smack into his chest. I apologized profusely and for some silly reason I said ' I am sorry Mr. Trump, please forgive me I am having a bad day, I got a food allergy, its my birthday and I had to get these shots and the doctor put these gloves on me...." I was a bumbling idiot. He smiled and said Not to worry and wished me a happy birthday.

Flash forward several months later to a real estate function I was attending and I was introduced to him by my broker. For some reason again I was a bumbling idiot and I told him we had met once before. He said yes we had and he asked me how my birthday went. Maybe I went red in the face and that is how he remember?

Another person who impressed me was Nicole Kidman. She is very sweet and well mannered. She held the door open for me. It was really weird because I thanked her and then looked back and said Holy *** Nicole Kidman. She laughed, smiled and spoke to me briefly.

One person who I met and do not like is Jennifer Lopez. I met her in her early days and she was a DIVA with a capital D. Our company had many problems with her when she was dating Sean Combs.

Ahhh I have many tid bits here and there but alas it is getting late.

Nite nite all! Wishing you all the best.

Mrs. X

Old 08-28-2011, 07:40 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Quiz - Which American accent do you have? - YouThink.com

Here. We can all take this and report back to Dew.

Mine says "Western"....
It says I'm neutral but it shows the map from my region.

Basically, it says I could be from my region but I could just as easily not be from my region.

Quote:
Which American accent do you have?

Neutral

You`re not Northern, Southern, or Western, you`re just plain -American-. Your national identity is more important than your local identity, because you don`t really have a local identity. You might be from the region in that map, which is defined by this kind of accent, but you could easily not be. Or maybe you just moved around a lot growing up.

Bottom line IMO, I have a slight enough accent for the test to determine the right region but not a bad enough accent to not be considered neutral.

We did move around a lot when I was a child (lived in the midwest, the south, and overseas). We transplanted here when I was starting elementary school.

Both of my parents were educated and didn't have accents, which was amazing considering my mother was from West Virginia.

I've always known that I have a "TV accent"---like news anchors, neutral.

Last edited by Hopes; 08-28-2011 at 07:50 PM..

Old 08-28-2011, 07:40 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,247,022 times
Smile Results

Mine came out "neutral"

Then it showed some Midwestern states so I guess that's right b/c I grew up (early years) in the Chicago area and everyone says I sound like I'm from the Midwest.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:41 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,045 times
Hey folks -

Just wanted to let you know we're all alive and well over here at Casa del Ewag. We had no power from 10:30 last night through a few minutes ago. I'll catch up with everything in the a.m. but didn't want you guys to worry!

Hoping all the other east coasters are well as well!!

Old 08-28-2011, 07:42 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Thanks for checking in ewag! We were concerned about you. Hope all is well....get some sleep!

Old 08-28-2011, 07:49 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Hey folks -

Just wanted to let you know we're all alive and well over here at Casa del Ewag. We had no power from 10:30 last night through a few minutes ago. I'll catch up with everything in the a.m. but didn't want you guys to worry!

Hoping all the other east coasters are well as well!!
Glad you're okay! We were hoping it was just lack of electricity. Thanks for letting us know!

Old 08-28-2011, 07:55 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,489,116 times
Quote:
Quiz - Which American accent do you have? - YouThink.com

Here. We can all take this and report back to Dew.

Mine says "Western"....
Well, that's a turn-up for the books - mine says North-Eastern. Although my mother says I have "the most dreadful Australian twang" , no one else ever has trouble picking me for English - certainly not the people in the US north-east.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Dates are hard and take time getting use to.

Anyhoooooo, I am off. Going to take a nice bath and watch Real Housewives. Everyone be safe and much CD love to all.

Kobber can you give me a typical Aussie dish or recipe? I always wondered what someone would consider an Australian dish.
Since several of you guys also have trouble with dates, maybe we should lobby for a universal date protocol.

Typical Aussie dishes? Hmmm, originally our 'cuisine' was British-based, but as more and more migrants came from all over the world, we embraced some of their cuisine too. The result I guess is kinda 'fusion'... or maybe 'confusion'. The most famous Aussie recipes would be ANZAC biscuits (cookies) and Pavlova (a meringue/fruit dessert). I've never made either of these, but here are the recipes:
Australian Recipes and the Cooking of Australia | Whats4Eats

For those thinking of making shepherd's pie (or cottage pie), I think it is supposed to be made using lamb. It was traditionally made for Monday night dinner, to use up the leftovers from Sunday's roast lamb lunch. I don't make it these days because my mincer broke, and I never used a recipe - just the lamb mince with onions and whatever vegies needed using up. I have to say I never won any medals for my shepherd's pie, but everyone ate it happily enough.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:58 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Hehe! I believe shepherd's pie is lamb, cottage pie beef.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:59 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,489,116 times
Glad to see ewag checking in.

Wow, lots of famous people stories... can we schedule a Big Wine Night?

ETA: Yes, Zim, I think you're right!

Old 08-28-2011, 08:00 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
thanks for checking in ewag!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.