Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 10:09 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Not necessarily. Cleft lip is cosmetic, but no one in their right mind would leave it uncorrected. The point is, it's very variable, each case should be determined on it's merits, and should be a decision made by the child, the family, and the doctor.
Cleft lip very often, more often than not, causes issues with feeding, speech and auditory processes. Not merely a cosmetic issue.

If it IS a cosmetic issue, I find it sad that our society cannot accept a difference like this. It is VERY telling how we view ourselves and each other when an issue like this must be handled via surgery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 10:10 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Of course I do. But I'm not the one claiming that there is no gray area in my hard line stance on changing one's physical appearance.
Ah but I'm speaking SPECIFICALLY about medical procedures like Botox and surgery. Never once did I utter a word about hair coloring and makeup.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:01 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,490 times
Gotta agree with this guy:

John Kass: It's about what's in a child's heart, not the Botox in her face. - chicagotribune.com

Old 05-16-2011, 10:07 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
The mother in the OP has temporarily lost custody of this child while the case is being further investigated.

Britney Campbell, 8-Year-Old Botox User, Taken Out Of Mother's Home (VIDEO)

Old 05-19-2011, 07:43 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
She now claims she made it all up.

California Botox Mom, Who Said She Injected 8-Year-Old Daughter, Retracts Story, Ignites Firestorm - ABC News

Quote:
The California mom who said she injected her 8-year-old daughter with Botox retracted her story on Thursday after the state's Child Protective Services reportedly took her daughter out of her custody this week.

Sheena Upton, who used the alias Kerry Campbell, provided TMZ.com with a sworn declaration today saying the she made up the story in return for compensation. Upton's story first appeared in the U.K. paper The Sun in March, and she told the story again last Thursday on "Good Morning America."

"I was provided with the story, instructions and a script to follow for a recorded interview for a paid fee," she said in the affidavit given to TMZ in regard to The Sun article.

In the declaration given to TMZ, Upton also alleges that she was told she would be compensated for television interviews with "Good Morning America" and "Inside Edition." ABC News does not pay subjects for interviews.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:48 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
But I read it on the internet so it must be true

Old 05-19-2011, 09:51 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Either way - pimping out your kid for a buck. Way to go Mother of the year!!!

Old 05-20-2011, 02:15 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,234,312 times
I think When men abuse it is for their own self gratification.

I think some women get in a mindset where they genuinly believe that they are doing the best thing for their kid but it becomes obsessive or extreme and then maybe considered abusive. The lady who botoxes their kid or the mother who pushes her kid too hard to be the best academically or sport or dance or music or whatever. We have a friend who genuinly is fearful that her 14 yo daughter will get raped in a public restroom so makes her wear pullups (diapers) whenever she is away from their home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting