Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 09:37 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Helping Kids Beat Homesickness at Sleep-Away Camp . Expert Q&A . PBS Parents | PBS

This is an article about helping children with homesickness when they go to sleep away camp.

What do you think about sleep away camp? Children dealing with being homesick?

Do you let your children sleep anywhere away from you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 09:48 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
I really feel bad for these kids with Helicopter Mom's

Lighten up people!

Old 05-29-2011, 10:00 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
I went to sleep away camp (Girl Scout camp) in elem. school - for a week. Loved it. Doesn't mean I didn't get homesick and wasn't ready to go home but I think it was a good experience. My kids went on overnights to camp from time to time (don't think they ever went that long, but not for any specific reason, just didn't come up). That said, every child is different. If an older child was simply a bit nervous I'd encourage them to go. I don't know that I'd force a child who was terrified at the thought to do it. Depending on the age and how upsetting he/she found the idea of it though, I might start wondering why the separation anxiety and look for ways to work to overcome that.

ETA - to clarify - I am not saying that I think kids "should" or "should not" go away to camp or overnights. My comments are reflective of the topic of either not allowing your kids to go away or keeping them home from what otherwise is an experience they might enjoy simply out of the fear of homesickness.....

Last edited by maciesmom; 05-29-2011 at 10:36 AM..

Old 05-29-2011, 10:06 AM

970 posts, read 2,213,533 times
I remember be away from my parents for school trips on several occasions. The people who got homesick always got over it in a few days once they realized that they were actually having fun. I don't remember a single case of someone actually going back home.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:16 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
My parents never sent us off to camp.

The only time I ever went was when I got talked into going with a friend. My parents didn't really like the idea but they paid the money. I hated most of it.

My parents took us camping themselves and that I enjoyed. I take my kids camping but I won't send them away.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:31 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
My kids went to sports-themed sleep away camps, baseball, football, etc. They had downtime, but drilling for any sport in June and July takes it's toll. I think they would have enjoyed an all-around camp more, but they chose what they did.

The biggest complaint I heard was that they didn't have access to food 24/7. Nobody ever asked to go back a 2nd year.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:23 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Both my sister and I attended summer camp for several years. I started at Girl Scout camp for a week one summer, then my sister got old enough for month-long camp and we were both shipped off to the real deal. Although I didn't get along with some of the kids, the experience itself was something I would hope every mom would want for their child.

Lots of organized activities, a chance to be away from the parents in a strictly controlled "wilderness" environment, amazing food, tons of sports, arts and crafts activities, social dances, hiking, field trips to the state beach, weekly bonfires, the particular type of comeraderie that you can't get inside a school building or from the neighborhood kids or even the church youth group. Boating, sailing an olympic sized pool, athletic competitions against a "rival" camp with a trophy for the winning camp but good sportsmanship culminating in a two-camp bonfire when it's over...

Yes, we were homesick on and off our first year. But the experience, for its own sake, more than made up for those few days during the month that we thought sitting around at home doing mostly nothing would be fun.

Plus, it gave my parents a chance to go on their own vacations, without the kids. And that always meant rejuvenated parents ready and raring to prepare for the next school year.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:24 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
If we could afford it, we'd send our kids to a one week sleep away camp. I think it's good for kids. I've heard good things about them too. But I don't think kids are deprived if they don't get to go either.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:56 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,327 times
There is a church run camp pretty much only a few miles away from where we live and I thought it would be fun for my daughter to go, so I asked her and she said she didn't think she was ready for that yet, lol. We are moving this Summer so probably next Summer I will sign her up, she will be 10 then.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
ETA - to clarify - I am not saying that I think kids "should" or "should not" go away to camp or overnights. My comments are reflective of the topic of either not allowing your kids to go away or keeping them home from what otherwise is an experience they might enjoy simply out of the fear of homesickness.....
This sounds like a legal disclaimer, mm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting