Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2011, 04:16 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I'll bring the ice cream!
Hey! There is no ice cream or cookies in time out. Unless they are both home made to go along with one of the 3 required cooked meals per day. Then it's ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 04:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Do both parents have to cook three meals a day to be good parents? If one parent does all the cooking, is the other one off the hook?
Come on Julia!

BOTH parents should know how to add boiling water to the Top Ramen. Good Parenting 101.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:24 PM

577 posts, read 900,372 times
My kids are on their own except for dinner-- which means cereal (I don't buy sugar coated), toast, bagel, fruit, sandwich, or leftovers for breakfast and lunch. I usually cook a dessert every other day in addition to dinner, plus separate meals for husband and myself (which kids are welcome to, but they're picky). I don't have soda, candy or processed foods in the house (other than sandwich bread). All my kids are thin and so are husband and myself.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:38 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,031 times
Well, my almost 3 year old is obese according to charts. We make all 3 meals, no fast food, no soda, no juice, no fried foods.

Breakfast: always skim milk and fruit, with either scrambled egg, oatmeal (the real stuff), yogurt, toast, and sometimes pancakes/french toast.

Lunch: water, cut up veggies with either hummus or cottage cheese, maybe a sandwich or whole wheat pita with hummus, sometimes a grilled cheese.

Dinner: what we have

He gets 3 good meals with minimal junk and he's still 46lbs at almost 3 years old.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:54 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Hey! There is no ice cream or cookies in time out. Unless they are both home made to go along with one of the 3 required cooked meals per day. Then it's ok.
Um...slice and bake. Some of it's still raw, actually. But I keep it in a cooler full of ice, so there's not much salmonella...

Old 06-26-2011, 05:56 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
My kids are on their own except for dinner-- which means cereal (I don't buy sugar coated), toast, bagel, fruit, sandwich, or leftovers for breakfast and lunch. I usually cook a dessert every other day in addition to dinner, plus separate meals for husband and myself (which kids are welcome to, but they're picky). I don't have soda, candy or processed foods in the house (other than sandwich bread). All my kids are thin and so are husband and myself.
Oh, no way. One dinner. Uno. Whoever doesn't like what's on the menu is welcome to fast.

::disclaimer:: If you want to cook separate dinners for your own family, I have no problem with it. It doesn't make you a bad parent or a horrible person (or conversely, a great parent) or anything. But I don't like fixing meals (as opposed to cooking, which I love) enough to do so, myself.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:25 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Come on Julia!

BOTH parents should know how to add boiling water to the Top Ramen. Good Parenting 101.
I burned the water last time!

Old 06-26-2011, 06:39 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Come on Julia!

LOL Ramen noodles are my daughter's favorite.
Of course I wreck it by adding chicken (cooked in lemon pepper marinade), carrots, celery, and spring onion, but she eats it all anyway. (it's actually quite tasty!)

Old 06-26-2011, 07:15 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo0904 View Post
Well, my almost 3 year old is obese according to charts. We make all 3 meals, no fast food, no soda, no juice, no fried foods.

Breakfast: always skim milk and fruit, with either scrambled egg, oatmeal (the real stuff), yogurt, toast, and sometimes pancakes/french toast.

Lunch: water, cut up veggies with either hummus or cottage cheese, maybe a sandwich or whole wheat pita with hummus, sometimes a grilled cheese.

Dinner: what we have

He gets 3 good meals with minimal junk and he's still 46lbs at almost 3 years old.
hhhhmmm that doesn't sound right. Maybe he will have a growth spurt soon and thin out. what you wrote is fairly similar to what my kids eat. My almost 6 yo is 49 lbs.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:47 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
well weekends, holidays and summer which is right now they don't have school lunches. And what's wrong with midnight snacks? U can make a graham-cracker tomoto sandwich, or something.
Ew, I don't think tomato and graham crackers go together at all.

Anyway, by midnight I've already been asleep for a couple of hours, and I don't snacksleepwalk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting