Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 07:15 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times

Advertisements

Great Falls child dies of suspected abuse | KXLH.com | Helena, Montana

Why would a women allow access to her child?
So sorry for the father, serving overseas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 07:49 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,904 times
Hard to tell.
I have seen less severe cases where the woman was so in love, she was blind to the abuse, or trusted the man when he said he wouldn't do it again.. and again.. and again..
Others may have been abused themselves, and find hitting and red marks normal. Nothing like that is an excuse though.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:07 AM

She should be held accountable IMO.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:03 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
This is why mothers should not date. When dh and I separated, I read that a child is 39 times more likely to be abused when mom starts dating. I think that's the stat for sexual abuse but I'm sure abuse goes up too. The child is baggage to the new lover and you have to ask yourself what kind of man is attracted to a woman with baggage?

For this reason, I would not have dated had dh and I gone through with the divorce. At least not anyone I hadn't known for a LONG LONG TIME and men don't tend to hang around if they ain't getting any so, probably not at all until the kids were out of the house and then I would have been too old...Oh well.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
She should be held accountable IMO.
I agree. A mother's first duty is to her children. Sounds like she did not take care of hers.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
This is why mothers should not date. When dh and I separated, I read that a child is 39 times more likely to be abused when mom starts dating. I think that's the stat for sexual abuse but I'm sure abuse goes up too. The child is baggage to the new lover and you have to ask yourself what kind of man is attracted to a woman with baggage?

For this reason, I would not have dated had dh and I gone through with the divorce. At least not anyone I hadn't known for a LONG LONG TIME and men don't tend to hang around if they ain't getting any so, probably not at all until the kids were out of the house and then I would have been too old...Oh well.
Don't you just want to shout this from a mountain somewhere?

Old 06-26-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I agree. A mother's first duty is to her children. Sounds like she did not take care of hers.
I mean of course not to heap on the mother because she did not do this but come on...previous injuries, he has prior children taken..man I am just so upset.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:45 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,835 times
Quote:

Yes, the stats are terrible, and women should not be parading man after man before her children. Consideration for children should always be a priority, BUT.... to say that a mother should never date is unreasonable; just as it is unreasonable to assume that ALL men think of children as baggage getting in the way of his sex life. Of course some do, especially the players, but that's not a fair generalization to make about all men. I'm sure glad my mom dated after she divorced her first husband, who she had 2 daughters with. I wouldn't have been born otherwise, and my sisters and I wouldn't have had the awesome dad that we did.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:01 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
This is very tragic, but I don't think a blanket statement can be made that "mothers shouldn't date." The majority of men a single mom might date aren't going to do anything like this. I think a mom can date and be smart about it - like meet the man at the restaurant, not introduce him to her kids right away, not leave her kids alone with the guy.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
Don't you just want to shout this from a mountain somewhere?
Yes. I really don't get mothers putting their love lives ahead of their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting