Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 11:36 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,876,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
there's nothing that Father Flanagan can do..
Sure there is. He can quit his job as a priest and go do something less superstitious.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:36 AM

191 posts, read 358,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
So basically you're pissed because people get financial aid? Get over it! Just be glad you're getting an education. I worked my way through college, and so did many other people I know. It can be done. You are not entitled to a college education. If you want one pay for it.

Personally I've noticed people who have to work their way through college are more successful because it's their money, and most choose not to party away when it's their money they'd be wasting.
I think that financial aid was created for parents who wanted there children to go to college and couldnt fit the bill for them to do so. It used to be if you didnt save enough for college for your children they didnt go! If you feel that i should work through college im glad , just dont feel like i should have to when others dont....if my parents planned then i wouldnt have to do so. I am not entitled to a college education but i DESERVE one, and if you truely love someone wouldnt you give them what they deserve? I am very successful in my life working for a company that is nationally known, and going to school currently. BUT its hard to do both i will because i am determined, but when I have kids i will make sure to fit the bill so they can focus on school and school alone, if you dont do the same for you kids i would feel you are cheating them of something they deserve.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:40 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,767,033 times
What a spoiled, entitled way of thinking.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:42 AM

326 posts, read 873,249 times
Quote:
I am not entitled to a college education but i DESERVE one
LOL what?

Old 06-29-2011, 11:44 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,909,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Amen to that.

To the OP - the phrase you're looking for is "foot the bill."

Old 06-29-2011, 11:44 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,423,021 times
Hmm, community college tuition is not $100k. There is no reason why a student cannot live at home, take classes at the local campus. Even in Cut Bank, MT, there are college classes held online, and at the extension office.

There are options. But not ones that spoiled children want to face.

Life happens. We don't plan on a lot of things that happen. Part of being adult is adjusting to what life hands you, and making the best of it.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
No. You can live at home, get a job, and go to community college part time. There are classes you can take online, to work around your work schedule. You can join the Army reserves, and get money for college, you can find employment that pays your tuition, my son did.

No one owes you anything. If your parents don't support you, you can still make college happen.

Why didn't you get scholarships for going to college?

My DD is like you, she wants to go away to college, I can't afford it--just the way it is--she is pouting, like you, and mad at me...too bad, I don't have the money. But she has options, she just does not like those options. Wow! Time to grow up, the world is not according to what you want.
I am doing all those things actually . One living at home most times you still get treated like a "kid". Two i work at a very good job in DC! I go to community college, and its not ideal. Why is it so cheap there you ask?? Teachers get paid less, they dont care about the students, and education at most are not that great....speaking for my community college not all . You got me on the online classes . Join the army, HAHAHA dont make me laugh! Die for this country that cant even get there self out of this economic mess, NO THANKS! I would get killed from a gun or stress and its not worth it! I'll just work for the government thats my about as much as i shall do for this country....find jobs that pay for college not easy my friend most just make you a flex person so they dont have to give you those benfits trust me i know all to well And my parents dont owe me anything.....your right but if they love me they would have planned. Are you a parent that feels bad you couldnt pay for your childs education or did your parents not pay? Just asking....i think theres alot of excuses going on and parents aren't getting told the truth...well no problem wanna know a secert " If you cant support your kids, then your a drum roll DEADBEAT" and supporting your kids means setting them up for success right?? In todays world you must go to college to be successful, so pay for your kids college no excuses!

Old 06-29-2011, 11:45 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,099,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VACollegeStudent View Post
Hey this is going to get alot of hateful comments and i am prepared for that. FASFA was created to help students entering college, tradeschool, etc. for higher learning. It was created not to long ago and i understand the reason now that i am in college. Parents have children that they cannot afford! Dont birth a child and you dont have the means to provide for there education! ( THAT INCUDLES COLLEGE) Why do some people feel the need to have 6 or 5 children or mine who had 4! Cant afford to buy them things that are a necessary to be a successful person in todays society? I have seen this first hand, and my parents leave my college bill to FASFA or they want me to pay my own way through college....NOT SMART its hard enough finding a job, then accompany that with trying to get good grades not easy! Add stress to the equation and you have a very pissed of person . I deserve better, and my parents should have planned more, i am writing this to all the parents who are thinking about having a kid, or have one and refuse to pay for there education.....to me you are deadbeats! I dont even want to hear the arguement that it teaches me vaules etc etc etc....it comes down to this....i have friends who's parents are fitting the bill for there kids $30,000 a year at most colleges, not beacause they are rich but because they love there child enough to do so....if they have to take out loans and work 6 jobs i dont feel bad because YOU CHOOSE to have the child. No one held a gun up to your head and said have a baby . So when i look at these parents i see they LOVE there child and will do anything for them. And if there working all day at 4 or 6 jobs why do i care thats what they get for not planning and saving a college fund for there children since they were younger....its not like they didnt know that child had to go to college! So all you deadbeat parents (incudling mine) stop having children if you can't afford them. Back in the day i heard if you didnt have the money you didnt go to college, so only well planned, smart, loving parents took there children to college def. not the same anymore.

LOL..I have kids...I wont pay for any of the college education..if they want it..they have to earn it..
We just had this discussion at work yesterday and most parents here say they dont pay for their kids college and they were also told by their parents if they wanted it..then go out and get it...they said our parents told us that..and thats what we tell our kids..Thats what I tell my kids..
Smart loving parents teach their kids not everything is handed to them and if they want something they need to go out and get it for themselves...college/ school is appreciated more when you pay for it yourself..

Tell your parents good job...they taught you a valuable lesson..

Old 06-29-2011, 11:46 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,251,013 times
Quote:
Well, he also wants to be a millionaire by the age of 30 and is asking for HELP, so what does that tell you?

OP: Put on your big boy pants and do it yourself. Part time job, community college.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Entitled why yes, do you not know how much your worth Julia? You are a person, and deserve to be loved. If all parents love there children they would give there children everthing they deserve right?? I am not entitled just know what i deserve....do you??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.