Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 02:08 PM

322 posts, read 584,876 times

Advertisements

I was talking to my sister today.My sister is bi-racial and her husband is white. It's kinda like the Robin Thicke-Paula Patton thing. Anyway, she said that whenever she goes out with her family, she gets dirty looks all the time. She said that once, a black woman said that she was a "self-hater" and that she was ashamed of her African bloodlines. I am biracial and my fiance is Hispanic, but she has some African features. I am abou to have my first child. I wanted to know, to parents of bi-racial kids, has this ever happened to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 03:58 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Not exactly the same but we have 3 Asian daughters and we are Caucasian. Our oldest daughter is a very attractive young woman and when she is out with her Daddy they get lots of horrible stares all the time. Even when she was little people would look at him sideways. Sometimes I walk behind them in a mall just to see people's reaction to seeing them together and when he puts his arm around her---well I can just see the assumptions people are making. But we've never had anybody say anything to us except when first daughter was an infant and some old guy came up to us praising us for "dong such a wonderful loving thing by taking in this poor child" I wanted to slug him even though I knew he meant well. His implication was that she was "less than" and we were to be praised for our "great sacrifice". Ugh....It has been our Great Blessing.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:02 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
They just ask me if he's adopted. Or I once had a Korean woman at a store speak her language to him. That was awkward. Thank god he was 3.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:05 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,344,393 times
Wow it's 2013 and people still are ignorant?

Besides, bi-racial children are usually drop dead gorgeous.. and they are KIDS! People need to chill..

Old 06-29-2013, 06:14 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRolle View Post
I was talking to my sister today.My sister is bi-racial and her husband is white. It's kinda like the Robin Thicke-Paula Patton thing. Anyway, she said that whenever she goes out with her family, she gets dirty looks all the time. She said that once, a black woman said that she was a "self-hater" and that she was ashamed of her African bloodlines. I am biracial and my fiance is Hispanic, but she has some African features. I am abou to have my first child. I wanted to know, to parents of bi-racial kids, has this ever happened to you?
You're biracial...this should be something you've dealt with yourself and know how to guide your kids though. Any minority in this country has, more likely than not, encountered some form of racism or just downright ignorance. Your fiancé probably has, your children probably will too. All you can do is educate your children, instill a sense of pride in them, and they will know stupidity when they hear it and won't be as affected by it.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:47 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRolle View Post
My daughter, siblings, etc are all mixed. Actually most of the family is.

No one has ever said anything like that to me. Instead she gets the well meaning but hurtful things like "but what are you?" and "you are so lucky, biracial people are so pretty" like they are some different species.

My daughter, who is white, Filipino and Hawaiian always gets people who only acknowledge her asian-ness and won't acknowledge the rest. For example when she was in elementary school the class made a cookbook of their favorite foods from their ethnic backgrounds. She wanted to make either latkes or something Irish but the teacher insisted that she put in a recipe either Filipino or Hawaiian. She wanted her to put in poi, we don't eat poi. Sure she meant well but it was just more exotification of her.

So expect curiosity but don't be afraid to remind people that your family is not some sort of oddity.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:28 PM

231 posts, read 575,731 times
I am blonde with blue eyes and very pale. My husband is Filipino. We have 2 kids. I once had someone ask me if my daughter was mine. I said yes. Then she asked me where she was adopted from. I told her she is not adopted and walked away. Some people are just so rude. That is the ONLY time anyone has ever said anything or even looked at us weird. My daughter is 8 and my son is 6. They both have a pretty even mix of both me and my husband.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:27 PM

685 posts, read 1,105,676 times
Nope, I never experienced rudeness from anyone growing up. I did hear though how "mixed kids" are beautiful from my family quite often and it doesn't bother me in the least bit. I kinda agree. It seems like those who are black/white, or from what I have read at least, experience racism somewhat. I'm white/Hispanic (bio dad is Hispanic) but relate more to my white side considering I was raised only around my mother's side. Most people are surprised when I tell them I am mixed, although I have dark features. My husband is white.

I have encountered some Hispanic people who get highly offended that I don't speak Spanish. That's probably about the most "rudeness" I have encountered..Oh well. My daughter is a mixture of my husband and I, or I get told she looks more like me, with light hair and eyes, which neither of us have. She is technically mixed, even if it's only 25%, but I would assume she will probably be perceived as just another white girl by society, at least based on her looks, last name, who she will be raised around, etc...

Last I checked, when you are two races and marry a person from one of those two races, you can't really be a traitor to your "race" since you are both lol..if that makes any sense.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:38 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Not exactly the same but we have 3 Asian daughters and we are Caucasian. Our oldest daughter is a very attractive young woman and when she is out with her Daddy they get lots of horrible stares all the time. Even when she was little people would look at him sideways. Sometimes I walk behind them in a mall just to see people's reaction to seeing them together and when he puts his arm around her---well I can just see the assumptions people are making.
Are you sure this has to do with being biracial? Many years ago someone told my stepmother that my father was cheating on her, because he'd been seen out at a restaurant with a very attractive young lady. It turned out it was me! Neither of us is black or biracial or anything special.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:04 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Are you sure this has to do with being biracial? Many years ago someone told my stepmother that my father was cheating on her, because he'd been seen out at a restaurant with a very attractive young lady. It turned out it was me! Neither of us is black or biracial or anything special.
Reminds me of the story about Pat Boone, a very conservative Christian singer from centuries past was waiting in a lounge with his 4 beautiful young daughters when some woman came up and blessed him out for being a dirty old man! He used to love to tell that story.

One time I noticed a woman staring at me when I was out with my adopted Korean daughter. She finally came up to me and said "She is so cute. She must look like her Daddy." To which I replied - "I wouldn't know. I didn't get a good look at his face" and walked away. That particular day I just had a belly full of nosy strangers asking stupid questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting