Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 06:04 PM

897 posts, read 2,455,739 times

Advertisements

D is in college 20 minutes away- BF is there -he is 1 year older -they have dated 2 1/2 years- she came home today to get some clothes and we chatted for a bit- I asked about BF and if they were still together - she said yes -I of course asked are you still taking your birth control and she said Yes and I said do you need it? dumb ? - she said yes- we are having sex mom -"everyone in college does....." anyway I am glad that she tells me the truth- I wasn't sexually active at 19 so it is hard for me to understand- Boy have the times changed- I did remind her that he needs a condom- I've been told he does.... hard to believe my sweet little baby is old enough for this.... anyway Just wanted to vent and get opinions -it could be alot worse like her being pregnant-she is at a very good school and studies alot-they do go to parties too.. she is hoping to go to medical school. A girl at her HS got pregnant, married the guy and they lost the baby last week- baby was 6 1/2 months along.... I do know that she doesn't want a baby for quite a long time-she told me not before 30 -she babysat all thru HS = very good birth control-haha!! I know that they've had sex before now but I think it wasn't very often...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 06:09 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
I'm sure that, as a parent, that's hard to hear but not surprising at 19.

College seems to be the time for experimentation; but at least she has a steady BF and is on birth control.

She's actually way ahead of the game - than a lot of girls her age.

But, as the Mother of a teen-ager ~ I'll share your vent! I'm sure I'll be hearing it one day soon myself.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:16 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,934 times
I to am not looking forward to that day. Hopefully I have quite a few years to ponder my response because my D is only 9 years old. Anyway....as the other OP said, at least she has a steady BF and is no bed hopping. It is great that she feels sol comfortable with you to share this, I only hope I am so lucky. Just keep the lines of communication open.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:20 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
D is in college 20 minutes away- BF is there -he is 1 year older -they have dated 2 1/2 years- she came home today to get some clothes and we chatted for a bit- I asked about BF and if they were still together - she said yes -I of course asked are you still taking your birth control and she said Yes and I said do you need it? dumb ? - she said yes- we are having sex mom -"everyone in college does....." anyway I am glad that she tells me the truth- I wasn't sexually active at 19 so it is hard for me to understand- Boy have the times changed- I did remind her that he needs a condom- I've been told he does.... hard to believe my sweet little baby is old enough for this.... anyway Just wanted to vent and get opinions -it could be alot worse like her being pregnant-she is at a very good school and studies alot-they do go to parties too.. she is hoping to go to medical school. A girl at her HS got pregnant, married the guy and they lost the baby last week- baby was 6 1/2 months along.... I do know that she doesn't want a baby for quite a long time-she told me not before 30 -she babysat all thru HS = very good birth control-haha!! I know that they've had sex before now but I think it wasn't very often...
Take a deep breath and....

Be thankful she trusts you enough to be truthful. Be thankful she and her BF are being safe. Be thankful she's in a committed relationship and isn't just "hooking up" with random guys. Be thankful she's focused on her future and realizes kids are a commitment she wants to delay until the time is right.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:31 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,319,034 times
Good news is that you have raised a level headed girl who respects and trusts her mother enough to answer honestly. She will be OK.

30,259 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Also, give yourself a LOT of credit, OP, that you are the type of parent that your child, (sorry, teenager, adult daughter...your baby), can talk to about these things and feel safe doing so.

It really does go a very long way in her making smart decisions and she knows, if she needs advice or help or to just talk about anything at all, she can come to you.

You have done a great job by being a parent like that.

Of course it's not easy to hear...but be glad you hear it from her.

Now go pamper yourself knowing you raised that girl right.

18,391 posts, read 19,027,378 times
at 19 she is an adult. glad she is on birth control. she sounds like a great young woman.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:19 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,055,772 times
Big deal. I was engaged at 20 and married at 21, shortly before I earned my Bachelor's degree. We celebrated our 22nd anniversary this year. Face it; she's a grown-up.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:22 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
I know that they've had sex before now but I think it wasn't very often...
yeah, right.

Once the barn door is open, honey. Ain't no way you're gonna keep those horses in.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-04-2011, 07:22 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,197,834 times
Honestly, at 19, I would be more shocked to hear she wasn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting