Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 05:50 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by osunshine View Post
My daughters 8th birthday is coming up and we plan on having a Disco Party at home. She has made a list of 12 girls she would like to invite out of both 3rd grade classes. I don’t have a problem with her doing this and wanting to be with the girls she likes the most on her day. I plan on mailing the invites but inevitably kids tend to talk at school and I am sure others will find out they were not invited. I personally understand that not all classmates can be invited to every party and my DD has been on that end too with out it hurting her feelings. How do you handle the situation when a child or worse their parent ask you why they did not get invited? There is especially one pushy girl and her mother who do this. I included that child last year and my daughter cried when I did.
One, any adult who asks this is immature and not socially ept. Who does that?
Two, I'd say, "We invited her friends." End of story. Let them put the pieces together of what it means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I'm going to disagree with this one.
My kids have had plenty of opportunity to learn that the world doesn't revolve around them, and plenty of learning experiences. A birthday party is, IMO, intended to be when you celebrate a special occasion with your nearest and dearest. We invited the whole class in kindergarten, and started limiting parties thereafter to the children they voluntarily socialize with. If little Hermia is not normally someone Lucrezia would invite over, I'm not inviting her over for what is essentially a Really Big Playdate, With a Clown and Ice Cream.

Parenthetically, I did, once, insist eldest dd invite a girl she didn't want to invite to a sleepover. By morning I knew why she was dragging her feet. The girl was, despite the fact that her mother was a lovely human being, a thoroughly obnoxious and mean-spirited one. That was my learning experience-- to trust dd's instincts.
Couldn't agree more.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:48 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,234,312 times
We have always invited the entire class although now 14yo is in middle high school, she wants to only ask specific people to her 15th. I am OK with that.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:52 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I'm going to disagree with this one.
My kids have had plenty of opportunity to learn that the world doesn't revolve around them, and plenty of learning experiences. A birthday party is, IMO, intended to be when you celebrate a special occasion with your nearest and dearest. We invited the whole class in kindergarten, and started limiting parties thereafter to the children they voluntarily socialize with. If little Hermia is not normally someone Lucrezia would invite over, I'm not inviting her over for what is essentially a Really Big Playdate, With a Clown and Ice Cream.

Parenthetically, I did, once, insist eldest dd invite a girl she didn't want to invite to a sleepover. By morning I knew why she was dragging her feet. The girl was, despite the fact that her mother was a lovely human being, a thoroughly obnoxious and mean-spirited one. That was my learning experience-- to trust dd's instincts.
Agreed. Perhaps some of the non-birthday kids need to learn that the world does not revolve around THEM.

As an adult, I don't invite everyone I know to every gathering. Sometimes I might invite two or three friends over for dinner, and none of my other friends call and cry that they were not also invited. That's life.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:02 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,904 times
Another one here in agreement of only inviting those your daughter wants to attend. In my book, it would NOT be ok to only leave one or two kids out, but as she is inviting less than half the girls from her year, there is no problem.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:56 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I can see the value in doing that, and we did that in preschool and kindergarten. Going forward, we won't though. As they get older, it gets easier to tell who their friends really are.
We did it for kindergarten through 4th grade, which is the last year of elementary school. During those years, the children stay with the same class even if they change rooms for teachers, just like in kindergarten. Once they moved to intermediate/middle schools, we didn't invite the whole class because they had schedules with multiple classes. But we did invite the whole class again in 6th & 7th grade when they attended a small private Catholic school because the class set up was similar to elementary school during those years.

My children never commented or complained about inviting everyone. They loved it. I never heard "I don't want to include so and so." It seemed natural to them to include everyone. That's why it seemed so odd to me that the OP's daughter cried about inviting someone.

Most of the parties were normal size because not everyone accepts due to schedule conflicts. But I did end up with a HUGE party of 40 kids on year because EVERYONE from class and the sports team surprisingly RSVP'd they were coming to my son's party when he was in 6th grade. I was able to easily handle the logistics of it via a bowling party. I broke them up into 10 teams of 4 using 5 lanes and color coded name tags for each team. Arranging the teams wasn't much different from planning seating arrangements for a dinner party. The party didn't even cost me much more money than the other parties because I was able to bring my own food since it was a bowling alley.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:09 AM

466 posts, read 815,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My children never commented or complained about inviting everyone. They loved it. I never heard "I don't want to include so and so." It seemed natural to them to include everyone. That's why it seemed so odd to me that the OP's daughter cried about inviting someone.

I went to school in a similar set-up with pretty much the same people in my class from 1st to 5th grade. But that doesn't mean everyone in my class was a good enough friend to come to my party. That's just life. Also, what about friends who are in other classes, same age cousins, etc., who are wanted on the guest list. Some people don't have the money to invite a ton of kids, some of whom may not even be good friends with their own child.

Also, I can't even imagine throwing a party with 40 kids!

Last edited by carolinacool; 07-19-2011 at 09:23 AM..

Old 07-19-2011, 09:22 AM

My son didn't want to invite some of the kids in his class because they are bad apples and cause trouble with the other kids. I wasn't going to force him to. What's the point?

Old 07-19-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
I went to school in a similar set-up with pretty much the same people in my class from 1st to 5th grade. But that doesn't mean everyone in my class was a good enough friend to come to my party.
Obviously, we feel differently about it. Most other parents in my area invite everyone too.

Quote:
That's just life. Also, what about friends who are in other classes, same age cousins, etc., who are wanted on the guest list.
Other close friends were always invited too, such as friends from the neighborhood, etc. That's how the 6th grade party got so big! The guest list included his class, his sport team, and his other close friends he had aquired through the years.

My children have no same age cousins. We always did a separate family party at home anyway. Some years it was immediate family, other years we'd invite aunts, uncles and cousins. We don't have a large extended family.

Quote:
Some people don't have the money to invite a ton of kids, some of whom may not even be good friends with their own child.
That's okay. But we personally didn't mind spending a couple hundred on a party. It was our birthday present for our children.

Quote:
Also, I can't not even imagine throwing a party with 40 kids!
I'll admit, I was nervous at first, but it turned out great and was really fun!

Old 07-19-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
My son didn't want to invite some of the kids in his class because they are bad apples and cause trouble with the other kids. I wasn't going to force him to. What's the point?
My children never said they didn't want to invite someone.

I've never seen a bad apple at any of their parties. Perhaps the bad apples declined the invitations, regardless, it's always nice to be invited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting