Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 04:56 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
lol, funny stuff and all too true. Most people in other countries totally don't get the American fascination with peanut butter. Similarly most Americans are quite confused by what others consider a good bread topping. The first time I saw Nutella (it was not common at all in the States even 10 years ago) I was pretty disgusted. You mean, you put chocolate and hazelnut on bread...and eat it...you actually like that?
A Chinese woman I work with is completely disgusted at the sight of cheese. Most Asians are repelled by the fact that Americans love to eat chunks of spoiled milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 05:07 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A Chinese woman I work with is completely disgusted at the sight of cheese. Most Asians are repelled by the fact that Americans love to eat chunks of spoiled milk.
The Chinese don't eat Vegamite do they? Your DD should be OK Mightyqueen.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:08 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Quote:
Yeah is nt that funny and they eat rats in some of the asian cultures .

Old 07-26-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Yeah is nt that funny and they eat rats in some of the asian cultures .
And monkeys and dogs and cats...I've suggested she become a vegetarian while she's there! But that's up to her.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:11 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,486,519 times
Quote:
And monkeys and dogs and cats...I've suggested she become a vegetarian while she's there! But that's up to her.
LOL...I'm sure she'll be fine. Sounds like she is a well raised, well taught young lady. Your fear sounds like normal mother worrying when the little bird is flying out the nest! One day she will appreciate you letting her get out there and enjoy life despite your worry.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
LOL...I'm sure she'll be fine. Sounds like she is a well raised, well taught young lady. Your fear sounds like normal mother worrying when the little bird is flying out the nest! One day she will appreciate you letting her get out there and enjoy life despite your worry.
Thanks. That IS the point of raising them, isn't it...letting them become people who can survive on their own and experience life to the fullest.

When she first went to college (which is only a three-hour drive from me), I said I would miss her, and she said, "I know, but do you really want me to be one of those kids who are still hanging around the house when I'm 30?"

Old 07-26-2011, 08:05 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,049,275 times
We all lived in Southern California when one daughter (mine) went to Boston U for two years, then London for internship one semester, then U of Madrid for one year.

The other daughter (my wife's) left home for college right after junior year in high school before she turned 16 (she also skipped one year in grade school), went from USC in Los Angeles to UW in Washington to Columbia in NY.

None of the parents had any anxiety, or if we did, not enough to be an issue. We knew our children would turn out right, and they did.

Another reason we did not worry too much: our children are seasoned travelers. Since she was a baby, one daughter traveled extensively though always with family or friends, but the other daughter sometimes preferred her own company. For her 20th birthday, she spent 6 weeks backpacking through Europe alone. The present came from us; the choice of being alone was hers.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:35 AM

897 posts, read 2,454,538 times
My daughter just went to Honduras for a few weeks and I was nervous-she did great -I did get on a few of the travel forums and asked questions and eneded up finding a couple of people that either lived there or traveled there alot and really made me feel comfortable- try trip advisor or lonely planet - it'll make you feel better- Daughter loved it and is already talking about going back- it was only for 2 weeks but still a strange place and far away for me. I also bought extra insurance Just in case....I know exactly how you feel.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:30 AM

I spoke with my daughter about it the other day (she's currently at school in another state in an intensive language program--they are not permitted to speak English there and so are discouraged from making too many phone calls home.) She said they were studying vocabulary to do with travel in class, and her sentence was "Even though I am afraid to fly, I will not let that keep me from going to China."

She said the other students responded with, "You are afraid to FLY? Why?" Some of the other students are ABC who just never learned Chinese before but who have traveled many times to their parents' homeland. She said it drove home in her head that there are people out there who do this all the time, and that it's just her own lack of experience that is making her anxious. That conversation did a lot to alleviate my own anxiety, too.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:33 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times
Perfectly normal reaction mom! From allowing them to take their first bike ride by themselves to going to a foreign country on an internship, it's all the same: Fear for our children and wanting to protect them.

I'm happy your daughter has such an awesome opportunity ahead of her. You should totally visit her! It would be a wonderful trip for both of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting