Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 09:31 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,889 times

Advertisements

Came across this article about a ten year old girl on the cover of Vogue. I read this article with comments about parents being concerned that this would influence their kids, about the sexualization of children, etc. Then I looked really hard at this photo, but didn't see it as all that horrifying.

10-Year-Old Model's Grown-Up Look: High Fashion or High Risk? - ABC News

I think the pictures themselves are not that bad. Yes, she is wearing too much makeup and looks too grown up, but to me she looks like a little girl playing dress up. I find child beauty pageants more disturbing, with kids being tanned, waxed, hair bleached, fake teeth, etc. I actually thought it was cute that this girl had her typical 10 year old bunny teeth, making her look like the child she is. While I don't really think a child with a full fledged career is ever a good idea, I don't really see what the all the controversy is over this particular little girl's photos.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 08:13 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,199,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Came across this article about a ten year old girl on the cover of Vogue. I read this article with comments about parents being concerned that this would influence their kids, about the sexualization of children, etc. Then I looked really hard at this photo, but didn't see it as all that horrifying.

10-Year-Old Model's Grown-Up Look: High Fashion or High Risk? - ABC News

I think the pictures themselves are not that bad. Yes, she is wearing too much makeup and looks too grown up, but to me she looks like a little girl playing dress up. I find child beauty pageants more disturbing, with kids being tanned, waxed, hair bleached, fake teeth, etc. I actually thought it was cute that this girl had her typical 10 year old bunny teeth, making her look like the child she is. While I don't really think a child with a full fledged career is ever a good idea, I don't really see what the all the controversy is over this particular little girl's photos.

What do you think?
I don't think the Vogue cover looks at all like any ten year old I've seen playing dress-up, and there is no way this earth I would allow Girlchild to pose like that now, at thirteen.
And yes, I think pageants are exceedingly creepy, too. Both send a message I do not want my daughter to absorb, but which society insists on sending anyway.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:41 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Creepy.

10 year olds look better when they look like wholesome 10 year olds.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:47 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,291,770 times
So, who's this child modeling for?...not other 10 year olds I think.....It's a sad testament to the degradation of societies morals...far as I'm concerned.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:05 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
I think it's wrong. Like Aconite said, 10 year old girls do NOT look like that when they are playing dress up.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:22 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Another one who votes that looks nothing like a 10 year old playing dress up.

If they want to model a 10 year old, she should LOOK like a 10 year old.

While nothing is showing in these photos, the implications being made are disgusting.

There is no reason on earth that a 10 year old child should be heavily made up, lying on her stomach in a come hither pose. Wrong. Very, very wrong.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:41 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,602,722 times
The pictures that I saw disgust me. WAY to sexy for a 10 year old.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:03 PM

133 posts, read 183,228 times
Um, no. Ew. No 10-year-old should be exploited like that. As a previous poster said, who is going to be looking at these pictures? Definitely not other people these girls' age. What parent would want to imagine grown men looking at pictures of his or her 10-year-old daughter?????

The lipstick ad literally made me feel queasy. Sure, she has her 10-year-old teeth, and they're being highly sexualized by the lipstick and her seductive hand gesture.

Ewwwww.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:56 PM

573 posts, read 2,059,676 times
too much makeup, looks disgusting, they should look like regular kids, wearing regular clothes, is this considered child abuse?

Old 08-06-2011, 06:14 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,773,022 times
She looks ugly to me, I bet she'd look better with less makeup. I don't think she looks like playing dress up, especially with the poses she is striking, and I wouldn't buy clothes modeled by a ten year old either. That being said, yes, I think a 3 year old with a flipper and fake hair, dolled up in daisy dukes and wiggling her ass on stage is even more disturbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting