Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 10:37 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times

Advertisements

We know the OP actually talked to the mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 10:41 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,853,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Even so, that is why I asked if it was possible the nanny was downplaying it to the mother. "Oh MrsSoandSo, you know those mothers. So overprotective. Little Johnny stepped off of the sidewalk for a second. There weren't even any cars around. I was able to get control of him right away though."
I could see that happening very easily.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:43 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
I know ultimately this is the parents (both of them) responsibility, but the immediate responsibility lies with the nanny. I'm sure she doesn't want to lose her job, and probably doesn't let on to the parents what a big issue it actually is. That would require her admitting that she can't handle the kid. I bet the parents don't realize what is really happening.

Once she catches up, the nanny should lead him by the arm, walking, back to where he dropped his backpack, make him pick it up, and make him carry it home, holding on to him the whole way, if that's what is necessary. If she is not able to do that, she needs to have a serious talk with the parents.

the kid needs a consequence.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:45 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
There are a number of reasons not to do this. The firs that comes to mind is not being able to take the responsibility on. The "help" that would be necessary in this case seems to me to be all the time. If she cannot commit to that, then she is not doing much.

Furthermore, I believe that "help" can be just another enabler/ way to get taken advantage of. Once upon a time, I offered help to a parent who was coaching his son's football team. His wife filed for divorce. he had no where to go nearby, so was going to have to stop being near/coaching his son. I offered him our spare room until the season was over or he found another place, whichever came first.

I had to ask him to leave, after he basically moved in for good.

The OPs scene is the same. She cannot own this problem. The problem is not hers. The mother/nanny/whomever who is RESPONSIBLE for this child need to own it.

Helping is a ride to the grocery store, a cup of sugar, helping with lawn care once in a while. Not taking over child care responsibility.

No, helping is helping your neighbors when you see they need assistance. I mean, honestly, is that much trouble to help the kid? Is it that much trouble to be an extra pair of eyes for someone that obviously needs the help?

Child care responsibility? REALLY? It's making sure a small child doesn't get hit by a car in his overzealousness.

Sorry but I completely disagree with this whole "not my responsibility" nonsense.

Quote:
Judge smudge. The mom is responsible for the very life of her child. That child is in imminent risk of being ended by a car unless I badly misunderstand the original post. Something a little more direct than talking to him is necessary. If we were talking about curbing his great snickers habit, it would be another matter. But this situation is rather serious.

If the child is in imminent risk of being hit by a car and mom is at work, why can't OP (or another neighbor) simply help the kid?

My goodness. Cannot believe the concept is so foreign for some.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
And? I am saying no one knows what steps mom has taken to try and correct the issues to the best of her ability.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:48 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,197,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

Child care responsibility? REALLY? It's making sure a small child doesn't get hit by a car in his overzealousness.

Sorry but I completely disagree with this whole "not my responsibility" nonsense.
How to win friends and influence people!

Quote:
If the child is in imminent risk of being hit by a car and mom is at work, why can't OP (or another neighbor) simply help the kid?

My goodness. Cannot believe the concept is so foreign for some.
Snark attack aside, because it does not solve the ultimate problem.

: smack: I can't believe the concept is so foreign to some people.

I think I will add an eye roll.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
And? I am saying no one knows what steps mom has taken to try and correct the issues to the best of her ability.
So let's leave it at that, take over for the Mom, and ... what if OP is not available one day? Let the kid get hit by a car?

Old 10-07-2011, 10:50 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I know ultimately this is the parents (both of them) responsibility, but the immediate responsibility lies with the nanny. I'm sure she doesn't want to lose her job, and probably doesn't let on to the parents what a big issue it actually is. That would require her admitting that she can't handle the kid. I bet the parents don't realize what is really happening.

Once she catches up, the nanny should lead him by the arm, walking, back to where he dropped his backpack, make him pick it up, and make him carry it home, holding on to him the whole way, if that's what is necessary. If she is not able to do that, she needs to have a serious talk with the parents.

the kid needs a consequence.
Yes, this.

And the other parents are trying to do the right thing. One concern regarding accepting responsibility for this child, who it would assume they don't know well, nor the family, is that if they intervene, and heaven forbid something bad happens, they will also be blamed. This is ultimately the responsibility of the parents, and by extension the nanny, and the school.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
How to win friends and influence people!

Snark attack aside, because it does not solve the ultimate problem.

: smack: I can't believe the concept is so foreign to some people.

I think I will add an eye roll.
Winning friends and influencing people? Huh?

I think it's crazy that the concept of helping a neighbor's young son not get hit by a car is considered so "out there" and "unproductive". What happened to just helping because you can?

Solving the ultimate problem? Ok great. More high minded ideals. The immediate problem is the kid getting hit by a car. I'm sure he will grow out of it but until then there is no problem (honest!) with helping your neighbors.

Snark or not, I find the attitude of "not my responsibility" pretty revolting.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Winning friends and influencing people? Huh?
That is my response to your "nonsense".

Cheers. And have a nice day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting