Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 06:42 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
he could possibly wind up being a single father with 21 plus kids.

And then any chance at a decent life for the older girls goes out the door as they become FULL time moms to all the younger kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 07:27 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,176,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Like making babies?

I was referencing the kids.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
I was referencing the kids.

Then they should show more of the kids having their own life. The way the show is, it doesn't show that, so we can only believe what we see.

But at this point, all they seem to be are attention seekers. There is no need to keep announcing pregnancies unless you are seeking attention and money, which clearly they are.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:05 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
Then they should show more of the kids having their own life. The way the show is, it doesn't show that, so we can only believe what we see.

But at this point, all they seem to be are attention seekers. There is no need to keep announcing pregnancies unless you are seeking attention and money, which clearly they are.
Not that I disagree about being attention seekers, but they're on a TV show, so everybody is going to know anyway.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Not that I disagree about being attention seekers, but they're on a TV show, so everybody is going to know anyway.
Oh, I totally agree, but I guess my point is why go out of your way to announce it? Why not just film the show and let people find out that way? Seems like they want to make sure the world knows so they will continue to tune in to the show. So maybe they are losing their audience and therefore might lose the show and money that goes with it.

I stopped watching when they were at 16 and counting, so I would never know if she didn't keep going on TV to announce it.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:42 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
If Michelle was really leaving it "up to God", she wouldn't have had her uterus stiched back in THREE times after it prolapsed...
OK, I've never heard that before. How do you know?

Old 11-10-2011, 10:12 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Look, having 20 children is not my idea of a wonderful time...but....I can't see where they are "harming" society. In fact, I'd be on the side that said, the people who have one or two kids, who they ignore or abuse, are at higher risk for harming society than those who have many (even 20) children whom they love,provide and care for.
That is an interesting bit of logic. That one person or group harms society (as in your example of the abuser) does not in any way impact whether another person or group is as well.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:12 AM

422 posts, read 649,508 times
I wish people would be more honest and say "I hate them because they believe in something I don't and are creating a large group of people who also believe in something I don't. I want freedom of/from religion but I don't want THOSE PEOPLE exercising that same freedom." The truth is you wouldn't like them if they had ANY amount of children.

As far as their homeschooling their children with their beliefs how are they any different from democrats, republicans, skinheads, tree huggers or vegetarians? Posters are acting like its some strange and awful thing that they are teaching their children to believe as they do. Don't ALL parents do that? And you should check your statistics. The average HS grad in the US could not pass the GED exam. It is NOT for dummies. Check out a practice test sometime. At least they take the time to teach their children instead of leaving it up to paid strangers hired by the government and then loading them up with gadgets so they'll leave them alone.

I would rather have 120 duggar children around than a couple with two selfish, rude, shopping, loud-mouthed, disrespectful, SUV driving, loud music blaring, baggy pants wearing, texting, tweeting, half-dressed, what about me whining, sex obsessed, potty mouthed, spawn that I see crowding my local mall. To those complaining when was the last time one of your children volunteered at a disater site, grew their own food, recycled, made laudry detergent, sewed some clothes, or served their family without thinking it was "lame" ?

Last edited by Purple_Princess; 11-10-2011 at 10:25 AM..

Old 11-10-2011, 10:29 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
That is an interesting bit of logic. That one person or group harms society (as in your example of the abuser) does not in any way impact whether another person or group is as well.
Well....I'm sorry if I was unclear. My point was meant to be in response to what I took as your claim that quantity of children alone determined a negative impact to society. I would argue that is not the case. Jeffrey Dahmer was one of two children and John Wayne Gacy was one of 3. I'd say that they had a pretty negative impact to society. There are many ways to negatively impact society. I'm quite certain we all have added both postitive and negative things. I just don't see where quantity alone is an adequate judge of negative societal impact.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:31 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
I wish people would be more honest and say "I hate them because they believe in something I don't and are creating a large group of people who also believe in something I don't. I want freedom of/from religion but I don't want THOSE PEOPLE exercising that same freedom." The truth is you wouldn't like them if they had ANY amount of children.

I would rather have 120 duggar children around than a couple with two selfish, rude, shopping, loud-mouthed, disrespectful, SUV driving, loud music blaring, baggy pants wearing, texting, tweeting, half-dressed, what about me whining, sex obsessed, potty mouthed, spawn that I see crowding my local mall. To those complaining when was the last time one of your children volunteered at a disater site, grew their own food, recycled, made laudry detergent, sewed some clothes, or served their family without thinking it was "lame" ? I suppose it would be better if they were a bunch of unwed dropouts on 16 and pregnant ?

I see two real issues with people who have super large families (I'll define this as more than six children):

1. Some individual parents may still be able to parent effectively in this situation, but its nonsense to pretend everyone can. Parenting time is a scarce resource and when you divide it between more than six children, the average child is probably getting about fifteen minutes per day if they are lucky. There are issues about affording copays for doctor visits and dental care (assuming there is health insurance). You can pretty much rule out orthodontic care because only a small amount of it is paid for by insurance. There are transportation issues (do we buy an old school bus or GMC Suburbans), issues with laundry, and issues with owning a big enough house with enough bedrooms. Unless the family farms for a living, chances are Dad will be gone most of the time working 60 to 80 hours a week to try to support the family. All the parenting responsibilities fall on Mom who will literally be exhausted by six o'clock at night.

People who love large families will argue with me until the "cows come home", but this kind of dynamic is a severe strain on everyone involved. If Dad doesn't get divorced and walk away, its probably only because he knows his child support obligation would crush him. Maybe some people do love this kind of lifestyle. There are other people out there who dive off cliffs or work as stunt men for a living. Its hardly a calm or rational way to live.

2. The other argument against large families is the strain they pose on the world's resources. This argument is more philosophical and moral than down-to-earth. As a result, many people tend to ignore it. Imagine though how many people there will be when the 20 children reproduce. Than how many will there be when the grandchildren reproduce. I can guarantee you that what the Duggars pay for property taxes is not enough to pay for schools to educate that many children. I guarantee you there income tax is not a fair share either concerning the drain and strain that 22 people pose on the government.

We can't pass a law against what the Duggars' do. However, many of us will never come close to approving of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting