Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 11:44 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I'll be bluntly honest here....
I hate they use the whole "gods will" excuse...
Ummm... To them it's not an "excuse". It is their faith. (Or religion or belief system or whatever description applies nowadays.) From what I know about them they see each child as a blessing. Some people have a faith and choose to live it. Just as you choose not to.

Personally, I wouldn't know what to DO with 20 children. Twenty. That's like two baseball teams with subs on the bench.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 11:51 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
The rhythm method isn't perfect, but I doubt that they are using it. They don't have to use birth control--they can simply choose not to have sex while she is ovulating. It's not 100% but Mrs. Duggar would not be having a baby a year at that rate.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:51 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
My wife is a fan of the Duggar's, I have seen the show plenty of times to make an informed opinion of them. My opinion is that I don't condone or believe the same things that they do, but it is also absolutely no business of mine.

The Duggar's believe what they believe. If they are entrusting themselves to God's will, then so be it, who are we to criticize their beliefs? They are not hiding behind God's will as some do to support positions that attack the lifestyle choices of others or deny medical care to their children etc. I personally find their brand of Christianity to be both odd, yet wholesome in a strange way.

The Duggar's do not ask anyone for handouts, nor are they living off of the money from their TV show. They are perfectly self-sufficient and well regarded citizens of their community. I see what the Duggar's are doing to be a world removed from the other "large family" shows and stories like Octomom and Jon and Kate. These people love, care and provide for their children, therefore it is not any of my business how many they choose to have.

I do think having another after what they went through with Josie is a poor decision, but only for the potential health issues faced by both baby and mom. They could have quietly decided to abstain, but that goes against their beliefs that they are obviously deeply attached to and so far seem to have done alright by them.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:12 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,385,141 times
I hope that she and her baby will remain healthy and there won't be any complications this time.

Still, I question her wisdom. I had a life-threatening complication after #3. I had my tubes tied b/c it was more important for me to be there for my existing children than to create a new child.

What happens if she dies during childbirth? Jim Bob would be a single dad with 20 kids (I'm not sure how many have left the nest). That would be horrible for all concerned.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:14 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,168 times
I have caught their show a couple of times. They seem like a great family. I wouldn't be able to handle it, but they all seem very happy.

My only question is how did they have the time or energy to make #20?

Old 11-08-2011, 12:14 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,670,074 times
They are part of a religious "movement" (cult?) that believes in populating the earth with "soldiers for God." They are having as many babies as they can on purpose.

Here are two different websites about the Quiverfull movement, with different perspectives:

www.quiverfull.com/

www.salon.com/2009/03/14/joyce_quiverfull/

Old 11-08-2011, 12:22 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,154,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
My only question is how did they have the time or energy to make #20?

Probably because she doesn't actually take care fo the children herself. I saw or heard years ago that after they are born she cares for tehm for a short period of time before passing the baby onto an older sibling who is then resonsible for the baby from there on out.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:47 PM

770 posts, read 1,177,859 times
gross

Old 11-08-2011, 12:56 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
I guess eight was not enough.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:00 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,154,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
I guess eight was not enough.

*giggle*

Cheaper By The Dozen is not the case either, eh? Maybe MORE Cheaper By The Two Dozen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting