Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 08:42 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,086 times

Advertisements

She sounds like she has issues.
And not to go off topic but when I was 19, my mom did super lame crap like reward me with a magazine for "good behavior" as if I was 13 and gave a damn about a magazine, so its not too far fetched to hear this happening or maybe it is.

But she seriously sounds like she needs meds and parents who are twits.
Because even though I have my story, who in the hell would even think to reward a 19 year old with stickers, both that girl and her parents should be evaluated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 09:45 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRoxy View Post
What is wrong with you two?
Why would you say such a thing?

Just because she has a tutor and may need medication doesn't mean she is incompetent.

At least she is getting resources to help her. Plenty of successful people are on medication for mood disorders. There is no shame in doing something to help make yourself better.

I hope you don't take antibiotics when you get an infection.

A lot of college students use tutors too.
You are criticizing helping her child succeed.
Wow.
There was nothing wrong with the 2 posts you quoted. Nothing. eastwest explained herself. Fallingwater was simply trying to make heads or tails of the OP which had almost no information to go on.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:40 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Quote:
What is wrong with you two?
Why would you say such a thing?

Just because she has a tutor and may need medication doesn't mean she is incompetent.

At least she is getting resources to help her. Plenty of successful people are on medication for mood disorders. There is no shame in doing something to help make yourself better.

I hope you don't take antibiotics when you get an infection.

A lot of college students use tutors too.
You are criticizing helping her child succeed.
Wow.
Quote:
Teachers say her work is good when she concentrate, we have begun a diary between home and college where we comment in and we see how she gets on. This only started last week. Rewars are usually stickers, extra time at lunch etc.
Not many college students have a behavior plan that involves getting stickers for good behavior though. If this is not a special ed student, why would she need this?

Last edited by nana053; 01-28-2012 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: adding quote from the OP

Old 01-28-2012, 04:03 PM

121 posts, read 460,776 times
So, because I haven't been on here long and you're seasoned makes me less and treated like a troll?
What do I do? How can I make me have 24,567 posts?

Old 01-28-2012, 04:12 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,587 times
Quote:
So, because I haven't been on here long and you're seasoned makes me less and treated like a troll?
I didn't read it that way at all. When you have been on a board like this for a long time, you start to recognize signs that someone is posting just to get a rise out of people. Combining the fact that the OP only has 1 post and that the post doesn't make sense, it just doesn't seem like a real post.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:25 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,727,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
I didn't read it that way at all. When you have been on a board like this for a long time, you start to recognize signs that someone is posting just to get a rise out of people. Combining the fact that the OP only has 1 post and that the post doesn't make sense, it just doesn't seem like a real post.

Yep, what she said.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:49 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Do you have a reading comprehension problem? The other poster questioned whether the person who started this thread would ever be back, not whether YOU would ever be back.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:12 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,045 times
Quote:
Mr Roxy, we all seem to be getting off on the wrong foot here. Though I didn't appreciate being asked what's wrong with me, I can totally see how if you're new to this forum, my post taken on its own without knowing my posting history would seem cruel.

Generally speaking, this is a very supportive place. Yes, we all have our debates with each other, but the advice tends to be good-hearted most of the time. It does drive me a little crazy when posts like the OPs show up mainly because they tend to have the intention of creating drama and sowing discord, rather than being genuine requests for help. There's nothing wrong with being new. If an OP was brand new and posted with a request for help that was even vaguely plausible, my reaction would have been totally different.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:39 PM

121 posts, read 460,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Mr Roxy, we all seem to be getting off on the wrong foot here. Though I didn't appreciate being asked what's wrong with me, I can totally see how if you're new to this forum, my post taken on its own without knowing my posting history would seem cruel.

Generally speaking, this is a very supportive place. Yes, we all have our debates with each other, but the advice tends to be good-hearted most of the time. It does drive me a little crazy when posts like the OPs show up mainly because they tend to have the intention of creating drama and sowing discord, rather than being genuine requests for help. There's nothing wrong with being new. If an OP was brand new and posted with a request for help that was even vaguely plausible, my reaction would have been totally different.

Okay. Thank you. I apologize.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:04 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shergold View Post
Hi there.

I have a 19year old daughter who attends college and has a great couple of tutors. She is struggling with behaviour often walks out, lashes out at objects, either hyperactive and giggle or annoyed and quiet, or angry. swears a lot. Will flip over anything.

Teachers say her work is good when she concentrate, we have begun a diary between home and college where we comment in and we see how she gets on. This only started last week. Rewars are usually stickers, extra time at lunch etc.

She doesnt sleep much either, she is like a night owl! college tutors are vety supportive and never give up on her when she flips, last week the tutor sat ok the floor with her to calm her

I am just wondering can we improve anymore. Any help and supported would be great
You have always had her in special needs or emotionally disturbed classroom? Has she been diagnosed w/ Aspergers?? Tourettes? I wonder if college is something she wants, or even needs if she is having so many behavioral issues. I think your priority should be what is wrong, college is not critical, her medical, emotional issues are. There are day treatment programs, and work training programs. I have a son who has disabilities, so I am familiar w/ having to advocate to get his educational needs met. But this extreme behavior is not in my opinion someone that is a college candidate. She may be more relaxed, and less frustrated if she had some success w/in a training program, and then had a part time job. There are special needs programs on campus, but I am not sure that even w/ 504 laws that the least restrictive environment needs are being met in college if she is having these kind of issues. There are online colleges that she could do at her own pace. I would certainly get her to her doctor if this is an acute onset of this type behavior, there is a dire need for further testing. At that adolescent age, several mental health issues could be considered. And if this girl has no diagnosis prior to these episodes, get her to a medical doctor, or a psych immediately because she may be in peril medically and/or emotionally. Best wishes, Please let us know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting