Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 09:14 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRoxy View Post
Symptoms similar to ADHD.
I was against medicating children until I researched the risk of untreated ADHD. They are at a much higher risk of smoking by age 16, alcohol and drug abuse.
Even if you are against medication (I don't know that you are) might be wise to take her to the dr, they have questionnaires for parents and teachers to fill out. It could also be just a mood disorder that an anti-depressant can help. (not just for depressed people)

Good luck. I know what you're going through.
At 18 a person is legally an adult, and has to make adult decisions, i.e. medications etc. Unless parents are her legal guardians, which usually can only be petitioned for in the event she has severe disabilities, which affect her daily living skills. It sounds to me like college is not going to allow her the success that she may need, like a day program, work support agency might. I know that it is hard to want the things for our disbiled child that other young people achieve much more easily. And not to say that she shouldn't go to college, I am a bit surprised that there are behavioral, IEP type supportive staff for a 19 year old. I know there are note takers, there are adaptive equipment issues, I just wasn't aware of behavioral program in college. I would just reiterate, online college might be better for this candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 09:21 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRoxy View Post
Okay. Thank you. I apologize.
We're all good. See you around the forum.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:14 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,146,827 times
There's more to this story or this is BS.

1. While I can't speak for every college, there are quite a few who have tutors, paid by the school, to tutor students free of charge to the student. She can also speak to professors during their office hours, who can either help her directly, or refer her to a Graduate Assistant. How much are you spending on tutors?

2. When you say "teachers say her work is good when she concentrate (sic), is that what your daughter told you or what the professor said directly to you? I ask because when I was a professor, we could not discuss those types of things to a parent and unless there was medical emergency with the student, we did not deal with parents at all. Is this "diary" between you and your daughter, or between, you, her, and her professor? Again, professors can't do that, though, I don't know if employees in the learning disabilities department can.

3. What does "extra time at lunch" mean? She's in college. There is no "lunch bell." You can eat for 10 minutes or 4 hours.

4. If there are tutors who have to deal with her "flipping out" and are not in some way affiliated or ok'd with the disabilities department, isn't that a liability issue? Honestly, no tutor should have to deal with that, unless it is already understood that there is a documented behavioral problem.

Truth be told, it doesn't sound like your daughter is going to be successful in college right now. If her behavioral issues are causing academic problems, wouldn't it make more sense to fix the behavioral problem first?

Unless she all of a sudden started exhibiting this behavior recently, I refuse to believe that you didn't realize this was a problem before she got to college. I sure as heck hope she's not lashing out in class.

She needs some form of mental health intervention.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:59 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,871,538 times
Perhaps a couple of typos in the original post. Maybe the OP meant to write, 9 months old and daycare instead of college and caretaker instead of tutor. 8-)

Old 01-30-2012, 01:54 PM

934 posts, read 1,938,544 times
I'm afraid all this good advice is being lavished on a, um, 'less than sincere' OP. Is that PC enough for the crowd?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting