Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 08:10 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times

Advertisements

Tomorrow night is my date night with my nine year old daughter. We do this regularly, but haven't done it in quite awhile. I'm trying to come up with some fun ideas in addition to going out to dinner. I have thought of maybe just doing a really nice dinner at her favorite restaurant and buying her some flowers.

She really wants to go to the mall of america, however we were just there the other day and want to make it a bit more special than someplace we go on a regular basis. Any ideas would be super appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 08:55 AM

620 posts, read 1,950,575 times
This might not happen by tomorrow...but what about during the month take her to a Christmas play, or ballet? I am sure this will be a memory she wouldn't forget. Some of the local schools and churches even put activities on.

Also, what about taking her to one of those pottery places where you pick out the piece and paint it. It would be something she could keep to remind her of the day.

Have fun! I think too just being there to LISTEN to her talk is a great thing.

I can tell her future husband will have a lot to live up too!

Old 11-28-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raising3boys View Post
This might not happen by tomorrow...but what about during the month take her to a Christmas play, or ballet? I am sure this will be a memory she wouldn't forget. Some of the local schools and churches even put activities on.

Also, what about taking her to one of those pottery places where you pick out the piece and paint it. It would be something she could keep to remind her of the day.

Have fun! I think too just being there to LISTEN to her talk is a great thing.

I can tell her future husband will have a lot to live up too!
Awesome ideas! I'll check the listings and see what is playing around town. My daughter is little Miss Christmas! She puts the joy and excitement into the holiday for our family. She is a true gem!

I truly hope her future husband has a lot to live up to. I want her to marry a man that treats her with love, respect and admiration. She is amazing at nine, I can't begin to imagine what she'll be like in her twenties and thirties!

Old 11-28-2008, 10:34 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
what about bowling, mini golf or something fun like that?

Old 11-28-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
what about bowling, mini golf or something fun like that?
Bowling is a great idea! We did miniature golf on our last date night. That one is always a winner. I even offered to go roller skating with her! Not sure that's a safe idea on my end...as I'll more than likely end up on my rear end!

Old 11-28-2008, 02:37 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,708,001 times
Are there any tree lightings anywhere? Watching that, having hot chocolate, maybe some ice skating. You sound like you are making great efforts, kudos!!!!!!

Old 11-28-2008, 04:28 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,067,984 times
My 11 year old daughter just had a dance at school and when her little bf backed out (to go deer hunting no less) she asked hubby to take her. They had the best time. He said all he did was sit and watch but nonetheless... She liked it.

Make memories.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:28 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Take her to the Nutcracker or the Christmas Carol. If you can wait until the 15th, go see Tonic Sol Fa at Orchestra Hall. They are an a capella group that does a FANTASTIC Christmas Show. Our kids LOVE going to their concerts. Since the 15th is a way off, set your next date night for that night and go-you won't be disappointed.

What about going to the display at Macy's downtown Minneapolis and then watch the Holidazzle Parade?

You could take her ice skating at Edenburough Park in Edina-it is an indoor rink at the park there. If you can find an outdoor rink that it open that would be even more fun.

The St. Croix Ballet in Stillwater is doing their Nutcraker performance this weekend if you can't get tickets to the real one. You can order tickets online and they will hold them for you. We are going at 2:00 tomorrow (my nieces are in the performance). You could go to that and then out to dinner at the Lowell Inn afterwards. Home

Old 11-28-2008, 08:19 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Take her to a soup kitchen and help serve and or clean up. You can have nice time together and also show her the fulfillment that comes from helping others

Old 11-28-2008, 10:27 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,513 times
Haven't read all of the others, but my dd use to love going go-carting w/ her dad. Depending on her age & size, she would ride in the double cart and eventually was old enough to ride by herself. She also loved mini golf w/ her dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting