Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 08:29 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2DFW View Post
No, a parent who says, "No cell phones at the party" should be ignored because the rule is discriminatory.
A person's house rules should not be ignored. If you don't like the rules, don't go to that person's house. If I found a child had simply ignored my house rules, the parent would be called to come get said child. And I would not care if it was 3:00 in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 08:52 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,982 times
Quote:
Not so fast with that period. It doesn't just "boil down" to that. It is also about some people feeling they have the right to curtail other people's freedoms just because they enter their precious little home.
Way to twist things so far they don't remotely resemble the original state. 'Freedoms' and 'Rights' that are guaranteed to us are about public spaces and there are 'rights' set forth to ensure private spaces can be used as the owner sees fit. Do I have the right to walk through your house with muddy shoes? Bring people over to your house uninvited? What if I smoke and want to do so in your house? But to bring this back to kids. What if one kids wants to bring their little brother, is that okay? If my kid is allowed to watch endless TV does that mean he can when he's at your house, even if you only allow an hour a day? Is that his right?

You have the right to do whatever you want, but not without consequences and one of those consequences might be you're not invited over to my house. Parents set the house rules. Other parents can discuss them and their objections or not send their kids. It's a pretty simple choice.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:56 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
You take this point of view because you agree with the mother's request. If you didn't you would sing a different tune.
What I agree with is the mother's right to decide what happens in her own home.

I'm still wondering why you didn't just ask the mother "Why?". Seems so simple.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:16 PM

64 posts, read 238,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
No one has the "freedom" to do anything in my home, that i don't want them to do, if their name is not on the mortgage or title. There's no freedom of speech in my home, to visitors. There's no freedom to be armed in my home, to visitors. There's no freedom to take off their clothes in my back yard, to visitors. There's no freedom to walk into my home, to visitors.

There is the *privilege* to do any of these things, if I, as the person who owns this home, grants that privilege to visitors. And as the person who owns this home, I can remove that privilege, or deny that privilege, to any visitor, at any time, for any reason, or for no reason at all. That is MY freedom, as a homeowner.
You sound like a control freak, but that's beside the point. Since you mention both legal and illegal activities in your post, I will respond accordingly; Just because you own a house doesn't give you the right impose your own laws against an otherwise legal activity. If I do any of the aforementioned things in your post that are legal in general society, you have the right to uninvite me, but that is the extent of your power.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
Way to twist things so far they don't remotely resemble the original state. 'Freedoms' and 'Rights' that are guaranteed to us are about public spaces and there are 'rights' set forth to ensure private spaces can be used as the owner sees fit. Do I have the right to walk through your house with muddy shoes? Bring people over to your house uninvited? What if I smoke and want to do so in your house? But to bring this back to kids. What if one kids wants to bring their little brother, is that okay? If my kid is allowed to watch endless TV does that mean he can when he's at your house, even if you only allow an hour a day? Is that his right?

You have the right to do whatever you want, but not without consequences and one of those consequences might be you're not invited over to my house. Parents set the house rules. Other parents can discuss them and their objections or not send their kids. It's a pretty simple choice.
What country do you live in? The constitution doesn't just apply to public spaces lol.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:25 PM

[quote=DewDropInn;23265928]What I agree with is the mother's right to decide what happens in her own home.

I'm still wondering why you didn't just ask the mother "Why?". Seems so simple.[/QUOTE]

Didn't you read the whole thread? I already stated when and why I asked the mother about the rule, as well as what her response was.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
A person's house rules should not be ignored. If you don't like the rules, don't go to that person's house. If I found a child had simply ignored my house rules, the parent would be called to come get said child. And I would not care if it was 3:00 in the morning.
This would seem like an extreme overreaction to me.

I don't like cell phones all that much but I do acknowledge that there is a place for them at certain times. A nine year old being away from home for the first time is one of them. By the way, I've come to learn that my daughter was not the only child who took a cell phone to the party, and we were not the only parents who were taken aback by the rule. At least two other kids had them, and I only consulted with three of the other parents.

I'm sorry that this thread was moved from the Long Island board because I think that the reaction would have been different. How safe you feel at any point in time has a great deal to do with where you are standing. Some of our viewpoints on this may differ. I'm also sorry that this turned into such a heated debate, but frankly I found some of the responses to be so off the wall that I felt the need to respond as I did. I will simply state my final opinion on the matter and then leave it alone.

Cell phones whether you like them or not in your home, are in fact legal. There are times admittedly, that they are innappropriate. But even in the instances where their use is innappropriate, such as a movie theatre or concert hall, the patrons are asked to turn their cell phone off until they leave the theater. They are not prohibited from carrying them inside. Even on an airplane, passengers are instructed to turn off all electronic devices until the captain says they can be used again. But they are not prohibited from being brought on board. Whether you have a bias against cell phones or not, they are going to become increasingly prevalent in our society as time goes on. I for one don't care for all the texting and photographing and what not, but my daughter wasn't going to do any of that anyway. She simply had a way to contact us if she got frightened without bothering anyone else at the sleepover, including the parents who might be sleeping.

I thank you for all of your time and thoughtful opinions.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:58 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
You sound like a control freak, but that's beside the point. Since you mention both legal and illegal activities in your post, I will respond accordingly; Just because you own a house doesn't give you the right impose your own laws against an otherwise legal activity.
Yes. Actually it does. By virtue of permitting or not permitting someone access to their property, that is exactly what a home owner's right is.

Quote:
If I do any of the aforementioned things in your post that are legal in general society, you have the right to uninvite me, but that is the extent of your power.
Precisely.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:09 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Quote:
I already stated when and why I asked the mother about the rule, as well as what her response was.
You never explained why you only asked after the fact, only that you did.

Quote:
By the way, I've come to learn that my daughter was not the only child who took a cell phone to the party, and we were not the only parents who were taken aback by the rule. At least two other kids had them, and I only consulted with three of the other parents.
Seriously? So you conferred (gossipped) with the other parents after the fact, but did not have the courtesy to discuss it with the mom beforehand? Nice.

Last edited by Zimbochick; 03-06-2012 at 05:21 AM..

Old 03-06-2012, 05:11 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,427,034 times
Quote:
Not so fast with that period. It doesn't just "boil down" to that. It is also about some people feeling they have the right to curtail other people's freedoms just because they enter their precious little home.
Well, that is their right. When you step into someone else's home, you are agreeing to abide by their rules. Plain and simple. If you don't agree with their rules, you are free to not go to their home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting