Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 12:34 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,090 times

Advertisements

Okay, this thread is somewhat lighthearted, so don't flame me. LOL

Does anyone else get summoned constantly by their family for every little thing? It doesn't matter what I'm doing or how far away I am, the kids and the hubby always want me to come see something. It's never impressive when I get there, though clearly I supposed to act impressed anyway. Heh.

Yesterday in the space of 15 minutes, while trying to make dinner, my kids called me into the living room 2 times to 1. show me some silly joke on Mad TV (they thought it was hilarious) and 2. Show me a "dance move" they had made up (them pumping their fists in the air and jumping in a circle). I'm all like "I'm in the middle of something, this couldn't have waited?" and they are like, "No, you needed to see it mommy it's awesome!" Ugh.

Then my husband gets into the action later on. I'm standing over a wok, and if you've ever cooked with one you know the food has to stay in motion and you can't just walk away. He calls me to come upstairs 3 times and every time I asked "What is it?" he said "Just come!". So I take the wok off the flame and come upstairs to see... dirty water in the bathtub. LOL. He's cleaning the jacuzzi jets and is fascinated by how much dirt has come out of them. Why did I need to rush upstairs to see hot brown water swirling around? He wants me to see what a good husband he is by cleaning the tub. Look at all the dirt he's saving us from! Glory be!

Men, here's a tip. We clean crap all the time. We are not impressed by your shenanigans. Just say no to the need to get our approval.

Anyway, I am grateful that they love me enough to seek me out on these matters but I really would like to complete a task every once in a while without being summoned to see a weird looking potato chip or some random sports playback on ESPN.

Am I the only one with a "Show Mommy!" family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 12:36 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
You have a Show Mommy family because you let them do it!

Old 02-27-2012, 12:37 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Cripes, my dear you need to establish a "don't bother me right now" rule. If something is that important such as bleeding, broken bones sticking out of skin, the house is on fire ok, I will stop cooking supper for that. Anything else, they either come to you OR they wait.

Good luck, this is a tough habit to break.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:39 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
My son called me down from upstairs to tell me there was a newspaper blowing across the yard this morning.

If you seriously want it to stop, stop responding. If you are busy, don't go.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:53 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,090 times
After the dance incident I told the kids to leave me alone because I was cooking. So my daughter came into the kitchen 4 times to show me the dance, each time starting with a " Mommy, look a me!"

The hubby is a lost cause. LOL. He's a Leo, he seeks attention more than the kids.

This is why we stay stocked with wine. Yup.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:06 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
I guess it doesn't sound like it bothers you. Maybe you find it endearing? If you DID want to stop it, you can stop it. Bring it up at the dinner table one night. Say I am not going to respond when I am cooking dinner. Then when she says Look at me each and every time say No honey, I am not going to look at you right now. I am cooking dinner.

Period.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:19 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
I personally think it is quite endearing that they want to share the wonders of the world with a parent. All too soon some kids don't want to talk to parents at all.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:21 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,727,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Okay, this thread is somewhat lighthearted, so don't flame me. LOL

Does anyone else get summoned constantly by their family for every little thing? It doesn't matter what I'm doing or how far away I am, the kids and the hubby always want me to come see something. It's never impressive when I get there, though clearly I supposed to act impressed anyway. Heh.

Yesterday in the space of 15 minutes, while trying to make dinner, my kids called me into the living room 2 times to 1. show me some silly joke on Mad TV (they thought it was hilarious) and 2. Show me a "dance move" they had made up (them pumping their fists in the air and jumping in a circle). I'm all like "I'm in the middle of something, this couldn't have waited?" and they are like, "No, you needed to see it mommy it's awesome!" Ugh.

Then my husband gets into the action later on. I'm standing over a wok, and if you've ever cooked with one you know the food has to stay in motion and you can't just walk away. He calls me to come upstairs 3 times and every time I asked "What is it?" he said "Just come!". So I take the wok off the flame and come upstairs to see... dirty water in the bathtub. LOL. He's cleaning the jacuzzi jets and is fascinated by how much dirt has come out of them. Why did I need to rush upstairs to see hot brown water swirling around? He wants me to see what a good husband he is by cleaning the tub. Look at all the dirt he's saving us from! Glory be!

Men, here's a tip. We clean crap all the time. We are not impressed by your shenanigans. Just say no to the need to get our approval.

Anyway, I am grateful that they love me enough to seek me out on these matters but I really would like to complete a task every once in a while without being summoned to see a weird looking potato chip or some random sports playback on ESPN.

Am I the only one with a "Show Mommy!" family?
No. You are not the only one with a "Show Mommy" family. Sometimes I think I'm so lucky. Sometimes.....all I can think is, "SERIOUSLY!?" Of course, I also have one of those families who has to be sure and let me know (looking for praise?) that they did something that I do every day...sometimes several times per day. For instance, I love it (yes, being sarcastic here) when my son washes the dishes and then says, "Mom, I washed the dishes so you wouldn't have to." I wanna be sarcastic, I really do. Sometimes, I DO make a smart aleck remark, but then apologize and thank him, but come ON....he's standing there like a puppy who just returned the ball to me. You know he's wanting a pat on the head and praise. "Good for you sweetie. I haven't dirtied a single dish today. I'm glad to see that you washed your dishes. Good job son!"

Old 02-27-2012, 01:25 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Personally I LOVE it when I'm asked for approval.

"Honey, that's awful. I'm SO glad you cleaned that out. Wow. I had no idea. Thank you for doing that for us."

Then I kiss him on top of the head and rub him on the back and say, "You know the sink has been draining kind of slow can take a look at it while you're here?"

It's all in the approach.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:30 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
I had a friend that has a family like that. I couldn't stand being at her house because we were constantly interrupted by her kids. It isn't "cute", it's rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting