Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 06:12 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times

Advertisements

Failing Student Wears Sign As Punishment - Yahoo! News

I applaud the father for being real serious about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 06:31 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Lucky for the father, his son was responsible enough (already) to take the blame for his own academic performance. I don't think this particular method works any better than less humiliating ones, but I do think it could do some harm if used on the wrong kid, for the wrong reasons, etc.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:39 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,022,183 times
I could see it doing harm if used by Tiger Mom on a hard-working child as punishment for getting a 99.999% on a test instead of 100%, but I'd think it would serve as a wake-up call for a teenager wheno had actually slacked off, as it appears this one did. It would be especially effective if coupled with loss of all privileges and belongings until better grades were earned.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:08 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,125 times
Normally I wouldn't agree with methods designed to humiliate, but it seems like this father had tried other methods already and nothing worked. Clearly, even just judging by the short clip of the son speaking, he's not dumb, and capable of doing much better. I applaud the father for being willing to push his child to do better, and it sounded like the kid learned his lesson.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:24 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I find it appalling. Gee, the son should have lied, or somehow faked his grades. What a "wonderful" "supportive parent. If I was his child, I would have no problem going to him if I was in a jam--not!
Maybe a better paln would be to see why his son failed, and help him pass the next class, pay for a tutor, or sit and help him with his homework.

This is why elderly people are in nursing homes, alone, on Christmas, and they wonder why no one wants to visit them...what goes around comes around.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:06 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Watching the video made me feel differently about this -- the father actually seems to care about his son and seems supportive of him and the son seems to accept responsibility and says he's going to do better.

In most cases parents do want what's best for their kids, the kids are often similar to their parents in personality so the parents also know their kids.

It's probably not what I would do to one of my kids but I'm going to assume the father is involved in his kid's life and knows this kid and what works best for this kid. And it's better than a parent that couldn't care less.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:10 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
I agree with jasper12 ...I can't imagine how publicly humiliating the child is going to serve any useful purpose...AT ALL...of course the child said it was his fault, and he'd do better....the cameras were on him, and he was right beside his father....It'd be more interesting to hear what he thinks of his father....when he's just with his friends.....the father is definately not going to raise his sons self esteem or pride by focusing on his failings...I think it would have been better (for his son, and HIS relationship with his son) to instead, provide any extra help and support the boy may need to pass these courses....I wonder if he made such a big fuss over the classes his son DID pass.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:19 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I wonder if he made such a big fuss over the classes his son DID pass.
Very good point. You don't make your son/daughter's failures more public than their successes.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:36 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Watching the video made me feel differently about this -- the father actually seems to care about his son and seems supportive of him and the son seems to accept responsibility and says he's going to do better.

In most cases parents do want what's best for their kids, the kids are often similar to their parents in personality so the parents also know their kids.

It's probably not what I would do to one of my kids but I'm going to assume the father is involved in his kid's life and knows this kid and what works best for this kid. And it's better than a parent that couldn't care less.
Agree with this. I think even very young children know the difference between a parent who is punishing them because they care about them and want better for them, and a parent who enjoys watching them suffer. This father does seem to care about his son and want the best for him, and the son seems to recognize that. Even with a less than perfect method, the intentions behind it can cause it to work out anyway.

My grandparents disciplined their children in a way that they would be jailed for today. Was it the best method, absolutely not. Did it work? Yes it did. It worked because they did love their children and did the best they knew how. Their children, my mother one of them, never resented them, took care of them in their old age, and understood that they were loved by their mother and father, even if their parents raised them in a way that they chose not to raise their own children.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:29 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
I can't figure why some of you feel that the father cares and wants whats best for his son...all I know is if he does...he's got a weird way of showing it...and who knows that it'll work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting