Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 10:14 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times

Advertisements

I would happily live at home if I had been able to find a job in the region. I'd much rather my rent go toward my parents' mortgage and my utilities help my parents save more for retirement.

I'm not some slacker. I'm 24 and fought cancer while working full time through chemo for 6 months, living 1000 miles from home. There are better ways of living, though. It would be financially and practically beneficial for ALL in my family if the adult children could live at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 10:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Eleven people (if I am counting correctly--was your husband listed twice?) in a four-bedroom house is not to code, at least in some areas. Where we lived in California, the legal occupancy limit was two per bedroom plus one, so a maximum of nine people could live in a four-bedroom house.

I fully agree with people who say that young adults living on their own should expect to be poor and uncomfortable. We had our share of cockroaches and crummy neighborhoods when we were young too. But loading up a house beyond its legal occupancy code is a bad idea. At the very least, it'll probably get you evicted. I guess it's one thing if one of you own the house and the neighbors don't call the cops, but an ordinary bunch of 19-year-olds in a rental are not likely to be able to live like that.
I agree. It's terrible to squeeze too many people into small quarters. It's why TB rates are so high in third world countries, so many people packed closely together, breathing the same air. It's also tough on neighbors when cars are parked up and down the street because you have 4 families living in one house and no where to park all their cars.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:59 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
http://nlihc.org/sites/default/files/oor/2012-OOR-Min-Wage-Map_0.pdf (broken link)

This is a map that tells how many hours per month a person on minimum wage would have to work to afford a 2 bedroom apartment at fair market value. Now I agree that a single person doesnt need a 2 bedroom apartment, but looking at those numbers in some places, like NJ where we live, even in a 2 bed with roommate, you cant afford to live with just one full time job at minimum wage
That's one reason I think it's not a good trend.

When you're looking at a scattered "failure to launch" here and there it's one thing but when you have a large number of kids never being able to cut the apron strings and make it on their own, you have too many people content forever with low wages and part time jobs.

It's when people have to support themselves, get jobs that allow them to support themselves that you get a population that expects to be able to support themselves on their wages.

We don't need a majority of forever kids if we're going to keep a middle class standard of living.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:05 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
I fully agree with people who say that young adults living on their own should expect to be poor and uncomfortable.
Why? If there is no choice, sure. But I wouldn't say everyone has to do that. I didn't. I was at home until I was 21 and had been working for 2 years for a company with benefits and annual raises. I moved into a 2b/2ba with a friends and then got married a few years later. I was never "poor and uncomfortable". What a waste of money that would have been

Old 03-17-2012, 03:52 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
Sorry but it aint the sixties. And living with a room is just fine. But I firmly believe in 1 person per bedroom. You can argue it all you want, I feel like an adult should have personal space and many people in one room is just ridiculous. In the sixties you did what you had to do, now you dont have to do it. And why shouldnt a person expect to live at home, at least until they are married. I moved in with my inlaws before we got married and we lived there until we were married. My BIL and SIL lived with my inlaws until they bought a house, a few months after their marriage. My SIL and her new husband have been married 9 months and live at home while saving money for a house. My dad lived at home until he went in the navy, then after his 4 years, he moved back home until he got married. My mom lived at home until she was married, as did my aunts and uncles. My best friend is 25 and has a child and lives at home, until she finishes college. Roomates teach many lessons. But working in the world and going to school and just everyday interactions teach you who you get along with and how to cope if you dont. You shouldnt have to cope with people you hate or dont get along with in your own home.

ETA at one point, my inlaws have a 4 bedroom house with 1 bathroom. There was DH uncle, aunt and 3 children (they lost their home), my SIL and BIL, me and my DH (BF at time) and my MIL and FIL. There were 4 dogs a ferret and 2 birds. That taught me and DH a whole lot about getting along in confined spaces. Its not like we were rambling around some big mansion
Having more than one person per room isnt always that bad.
I found some potiental roommates 4 people in a 2 bedroom. But its a couple and then me and tg. So were sharing a room with someone were in a relationship with.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:10 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I would happily live at home if I had been able to find a job in the region. I'd much rather my rent go toward my parents' mortgage and my utilities help my parents save more for retirement.

I'm not some slacker. I'm 24 and fought cancer while working full time through chemo for 6 months, living 1000 miles from home. There are better ways of living, though. It would be financially and practically beneficial for ALL in my family if the adult children could live at home.
When all generations pitch in, multi generational housholds are great. Unfortunately, there are those who take advantage of situations. I used to have an elderly neighbor who would tell anyone who'd listen that she wanted to move into a senior assisted living center but her kids wouldn't let her because the house would have to be sold. She said they didn't take very good care of her. But they wanted a free place to live so they were here caregivers. When she died, they moved out and other relatives who could afford the house moved in.

I've told my kids that as long as they're in school full time they have a free place to stay and as long as they're willing to abide by the rules of this house, they're welcome to stay here if they pay their way, which is a lot cheaper for them than having a place of their own and it would help me. I just don't want parties or revolving doors of sleep overs or boyfriends moving in. If I feel they're on the wrong path, they'll be on their own.

I agree that living with parents can be beneficial to everyone. My brother lived with dad until he'd saved enough for a down payment on a nice house and then dad sold his house and moved in with him. It worked well for both of them until my brother got married and then dad moved into a senior apartment he really didn't like.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:37 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I found some potiental roommates 4 people in a 2 bedroom. But its a couple and then me and tg. So were sharing a room with someone were in a relationship with.
So you and the girl will be sleeping in the same bed and TG and his guy friend will be sharing one of course?

Old 03-17-2012, 08:17 PM

869 posts, read 1,494,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Eleven people (if I am counting correctly--was your husband listed twice?) in a four-bedroom house is not to code, at least in some areas. Where we lived in California, the legal occupancy limit was two per bedroom plus one, so a maximum of nine people could live in a four-bedroom house.

I fully agree with people who say that young adults living on their own should expect to be poor and uncomfortable. We had our share of cockroaches and crummy neighborhoods when we were young too. But loading up a house beyond its legal occupancy code is a bad idea. At the very least, it'll probably get you evicted. I guess it's one thing if one of you own the house and the neighbors don't call the cops, but an ordinary bunch of 19-year-olds in a rental are not likely to be able to live like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I agree. It's terrible to squeeze too many people into small quarters. It's why TB rates are so high in third world countries, so many people packed closely together, breathing the same air. It's also tough on neighbors when cars are parked up and down the street because you have 4 families living in one house and no where to park all their cars.
My inlaws owned the house. And we lived there minus the aunt and uncles family just fine. Then they lost their house and we had to make it work. My inlaws can park 3 cars in the driveway and have additional parking for 3 cars in from of their personal property not blocking anyone else.
No one had or contracted TB and we didnt kill each other. The big problems were who was cooking dinner and shower time. But the point is, someone mentioned having a 2 bedroom apartment with 5 roommates. That is 3 people per room. Which is not code either. And its not comfortable. And talking about tb being spread in cramped quarters? What about any number of things contractible by living in a roach infested apartment?

Old 03-17-2012, 08:19 PM

869 posts, read 1,494,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Coupling as the exception, i think that adults should have individual space to call their own, whether a bedroom or a whole house.

And we tried the couples living together thing. Ever heard the phrase to many cooks in the kitchen? Yeah there is to many couples in the apartment. Im just saying....

Old 03-18-2012, 06:27 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
Coupling as the exception, i think that adults should have individual space to call their own, whether a bedroom or a whole house.

And we tried the couples living together thing. Ever heard the phrase to many cooks in the kitchen? Yeah there is to many couples in the apartment. Im just saying....
Its a two bedroom two bath each bed room has its own private bath and walk in closet, the bedrooms are on the opposite side of the apt from each other. Its prettt nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting